Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When 944's were new.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vongeiss89
Wow that's insane. My buddy's father has a 67 330 GTC that's classiche certified that's probably worth around a million dollars today. And someone I worked for owned both a GTC and GTS and just sold the GTS for over 2 million at auction
Yes, at one point these were all just considered old cars. The guy I mentioned who works on Ferraris had a photo album from the days when he worked at a Ferrari dealership in the 1970s and 1980s, and there were lots of photos of vintage 1960's Ferraris just sitting out on their back lot for years in snow and rain. Some owners didn't want to pay the repair bills and essentially abandoned the cars at the dealer.

Same is largely true of old Porsches also. In the 1980's the only six figure 911s for the 2.7 "Ducktail" Carreras. Early 911S and 911Ts were selling in the "Teens."
Old 04-04-2016, 04:44 PM
zoomie50
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a NA 83 when they first came out. I was driving a 63 356 during summer back then. Bought a new Volvo wagon instead as 3rd kid was on the way.It was also cheaper than the 944. And kept the 63 a few more years then traded up to a 65 356SC for my summer driver. Last month I bought an 88 924 Special Edition for a daily driver. I don't dare park my 65 C in the Grocery store parking lot.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:17 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

HERE is a flashback I just had:

The dealership which had the 924 SE close to my own home, had an employee who owned an early Series 2 Zermatt - 944 normal. He drove it all the time, out skiing in the mountains, to work, thru summer and winter.
He had ordered thru the parts dept. a SET OF WINTER snow wheels for his car ! FROM PORSCHE.
They were steel wheels and were very narrow with a strange looking offset which brought the tires in very close to the body. Made the car kind of look like it was up on it's tip toes. If I remember, the wheels also came with a type of strange looking center hub cap, NONE of which I have seen before or since. He sold the car way back in the late '80s and I only saw it kitted this way a few times. I remember asking about it then and he told me they were Porsche wheels.

( I kind of thought he was nuts for driving in and using the car up in some of the worst conditions known to man, thru salt, sand, winter storms, drifts up to a guy's armpits, so I dismissed the whole thing then as being something I couldn't quite identify with or recommend. Especially if one wished to keep a great car like our 944s living for long ......)

Does anyone have any knowledge of these and any photos on a 944 ? I notice they are listed in the Porsche PET parts pages, but have been told they are no longer available and haven't been for years. I sure wish I would have realized the extreme rarity of that wheel and hub cap then, instead of dismissing it as something not in my realm of acceptance, and taken a few photos of the car wearing that package. It was a somewhat bizarre sight to us not used to identifying with a look such as this.

He also clued me in on another part seldom known to 944 owners, and as a tall person himself he did this on his '85.2 normal:

the small metal wedges you could order from Porsche parts over the counter, that would fit under the seat rails of our 944s and angle the seat position higher and towards a more comfortable positioning for some folks who didn't fit well under the steering wheel. I did order a set of these also, as more of a curiosity thing as they were negligible in cost and still have them in the glove box of one of my early 944s.
Anyone one out there use these and what is your experience with them ?
Old 04-06-2016, 01:23 PM
zoomie50
Instructor

My son drove his 924 S in winter with Blizzak snow tires. He says it was the most fun he has ever had driving in winter. He now drives a BMW 530 /manual transmission with Blizzaks in the winter. His kids are too big to sit in the back of a 924/944
Old 04-06-2016, 01:58 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

(wincingly grimacing with eyes pinched tight) :

I am.
NOT.
Trying.
To.
HATE.
You.
Too much.......

Please seek absolution by taking yourself and your son down to a local Concours of Porsches, helping an owner by praising a pristine example on display, and volunteer your services by helping someone clean the underside of wheel wells and frame members, paying particular attention to any anodized parts or clip surrounds on brake and vacuum lines. ALL while chanting a Porsche mantra:

"I will only honor and respect my Porsche by driving it on dry, sunny days. Without Calcium chloride treatment or allowing a buildup of flotsam and jetsam to occur on my Porsche's underside. Any rust repair or oxidation will be immediately attended to. And , Ferdinand Porsche, THANK YOU for your great cars ....."

/-;}
Old 04-06-2016, 02:34 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

While I can appreciate preserving some/ certain cars - I am not cut from that cloth. I believe they are for driving and driving pleasure.

Some of the greatest pleasure I have had is driving on snow, ice and gravel.

MGJ - you may want to close this out now.

The following may be too graphic for some viewers...
Attached Images         
Old 04-06-2016, 02:47 PM
zoomie50
Instructor

Scott I think Mr Greenjeans just had a stroke when he saw your pics
Old 04-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomie50
I am a little worried about this. Could there be charges pending?
Old 04-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

These stories are awesome! I have to ask my family about their Porsche experiences back in the day some time because memories like these only happen once! Both my dad and uncle bought their 911s and 944 new back in the day, and my uncle's 944 has been to the moon and is on it's way back!

MGJ, I'd meant to ask you this in a previous thread about early sport seats, but how many Series 1 cars do you reckon came with them? What was a pretty common dealer-ordered car like option-wise? I've many more questions, but I wonder if I should just PM you instead.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:17 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

When my 944 was only a few years old & I was a few years younger
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2016, 05:23 PM
zoomie50
Instructor

Great Pic!
Old 04-06-2016, 05:27 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zoomie50

" This is Don's spouse. I am writing this on behalf of him asking me from his hospital bed, where he is recovering from a mild seizure the Dr's are unsure of a cause for striking him at his p.c.

He said to be sure and restrict time at the computer in viewing violent images which may not be suitable for those of a weak condition; something he muttered as he injected another near lethal but healing dose of intravenous fluid referred to as the anti-venin for 'Porscheabusivedespondency'.

He did say all billing would be sent directly to some team headquarters..... please supply that name and address so correspondence isn't delayed.
Thank You "
Old 04-06-2016, 05:46 PM
zoomie50
Instructor

This should soothe his psyche.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:47 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
These stories are awesome! I have to ask my family about their Porsche experiences back in the day some time because memories like these only happen once! Both my dad and uncle bought their 911s and 944 new back in the day, and my uncle's 944 has been to the moon and is on it's way back!

MGJ, I'd meant to ask you this in a previous thread about early sport seats, but how many Series 1 cars do you reckon came with them? What was a pretty common dealer-ordered car like option-wise? I've many more questions, but I wonder if I should just PM you instead.
mrsgreenjeans here again.

Karl , I will ask when he is up in a few hours and the feeding tube is taken away. That's when it's best for him to speak with a reply which is understandable.
Until then, he is apparently having a few dreams as I notice his left foot appears to be 'clutching' and his right hand appears to be moving in rhythmic patterns resembling a 5 speed, non dog-leg transaxle shift sequence. Right foot appears to be nearly laying flat against the footboard of the bed. I assume he is at near full throttle.

I think he'll recover nicely ~
Old 04-07-2016, 07:56 AM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: When 944's were new.