996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just purchased my 2004 C4S!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:37 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

luv the car...u'll luv it. replace the radio w Bluetooth, u'll be happy, and most brands are real good. On another note GROOVZILLA U back in a 4CS again too??? U pay a lot of taxes brother!!!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:33 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ken, I see that PA plate. How about a track day? I'm going to New Jersey Motorsports Park on Saturday, April 23rd. http://www.njmp.com/trackdays/ Just enough time to get your car ready! They offer 3 levels of progressive paced laps, perfect for any driver. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:46 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Allwine
A lot of good points. I have an electrical engineering background and have built a few competition SQ audio systems so I am good on that front. I just wanted to try and keep everything as original as possible!

Thanks everyone for the welcome!
Hey Ken, sounds like you know what to do then. :-) Here's what my Blaupunkt system looks like at night. The display is normally a blueish white color from factory. I opened the removable display unit and inserted the 022 dark amber filter. It matches so much better. Cheers!
Old 03-23-2016, 10:52 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by lingpoen
luv the car...u'll luv it. replace the radio w Bluetooth, u'll be happy, and most brands are real good. On another note GROOVZILLA U back in a 4CS again too??? U pay a lot of taxes brother!!!
Yep - Just got my 3rd C4S home on sunday - It's got the "parrot" blue tooth stereo system with iphone adapter for dialing/receiving calls - 10% sales tax in Seattle
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 PM
Ken Allwine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
Ken, I see that PA plate. How about a track day? I'm going to New Jersey Motorsports Park on Saturday, April 23rd. http://www.njmp.com/trackdays/ Just enough time to get your car ready! They offer 3 levels of progressive paced laps, perfect for any driver. Let me know if you are interested.
I would be interested however, an engine knock has reared its head. I have a 3,000 mile warranty from the dealer so I'm starting to tackle that problem today with them. My biggest fear is cylinder wall scoring. This will be a fun process... NOT!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:20 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice looking car. I hope that getting the engine noise addressed goes well. At least it didn't happen after 3,001 miles!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:46 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Allwine
I would be interested however, an engine knock has reared its head. I have a 3,000 mile warranty from the dealer so I'm starting to tackle that problem today with them. My biggest fear is cylinder wall scoring. This will be a fun process... NOT!
Damn, you just bought this and already have an engine knock?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:05 PM
FastM96
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats from from a fellow PA (Reading) member - good luck with it, and with resolving your engine issue.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:27 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

good thing you have the warranty - let us know how things go
Old 03-25-2016, 02:45 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah - get engine knock sorted before you touch the stereo. Did you pull oil filter and look for debris as part of the ppi ? Id do that and sent a sample of the oil from the filter off to blackstone for analysis - might give you some idea of what is going on with the engine - especially if dealer can't diagnose or tells you it is normal.

I replaced my cdr with pioneer double din - that is nice upgrade - but I didn't have the MOST wiring - so it was pretty easy.

To repair the cdr , if you want to go that way - you might want to see if a local (old) TV/radio repair guy can look at the board - probaby a power supply capacitor and they should be able to find and replace that for a lot less than sending it to Becker for refurb ....
Old 03-25-2016, 10:11 PM
paulgiven
Advanced

Default wootwoot!

:bigbye
Welcome to the club! lokks clean! Pretty new to this all myself, just picked mine up 3 weeks ago! I'm interested in the climate control display.. I thought this was something I was just going to have to live with.., what did you replace, where did you get it, and was it difficult to do?
I'm just about to do Renovo Revival on the top, clean out the front rads... and a few fairly minor odds and ends.. I'm also officially looking for ahem.. surprise ...baby seat options for September😆
Old 03-25-2016, 11:40 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful car, Ken! I especially love the black. I've been in love with those cars since I first sat in one about 10 years ago, just before I bought my more pedestrian basic Carrera (which I still drive, btw). The C4S was just a bit out of my budget those days.

Best of luck with the knock you hear. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing, or ism addressed properly. Whatever it is, do not be discouraged by it. My 2000 996 has been my daily driver for ten years, and has 174,000 nearly trouble free miles on it. It's been the most reliable and best built car I've ever owned in an overall sense - and I've owned some remarkably reliable cars over the decades.

Keep us updated.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:41 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Previous owner replaced my climate control - about $150 for rebuilt unit

I can lookup seller info if you need it
Old 03-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Ken Allwine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by paulgiven
:bigbye
Welcome to the club! lokks clean! Pretty new to this all myself, just picked mine up 3 weeks ago! I'm interested in the climate control display.. I thought this was something I was just going to have to live with.., what did you replace, where did you get it, and was it difficult to do?
I'm just about to do Renovo Revival on the top, clean out the front rads... and a few fairly minor odds and ends.. I'm also officially looking for ahem.. surprise ...baby seat options for September😆
]
I got the LCD kit from Module Master. It only takes 20-30 minutes to do the fix for $70. All you need is a phillips screw driver and a pair of pliers.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:26 PM
Ken Allwine
Intermediate

Update on the engine knock....

Went back to the Dealer's service center today for them to look at it under warranty. I dealt with the service manager on this directly we took it out for a drive together and had it up on the lift. Because of where the noise seems to be coming from and looking at the condition of the right muffler can, it appears that it might be a bad baffle inside the muffler. When you would yank around on the muffler, the sound would change tone.

Since the exhaust is not covered under the warranty, I am going to replace both mufflers with Fabspeed cans. I was planning to do that this coming winter but now that purchase was moved up to today. They should arrive at the house while I am in Cali next week. So as soon as I get back, I'll get it up on my lift at home and swap out the exhaust. If it is still making noise after that, I'll have a headache to deal with...

Quick Reply: Just purchased my 2004 C4S!