Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suppliers for carpet and seat covers : 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 11:53 AM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suppliers for carpet and seat covers : 944

Just doing a little research and homework right now . I am looking to hear from people that have bought new carpet kits and seat covers for their cars . Who you bought them from , how they fit and thoughts on the quality . I know you get what you pay for , but sometimes you just pay for the name . Anyhow , thoughts and input welcome .
Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

classic9 and only944 are both popular. There are a number of ebay suppliers, but I think most have the same source. Not sure what it is.

There is a Norse company on ebay that sells a non-stock type replacement, looks pretty nice and is cheaper than anyplace else I've seen. But they have like Blue, black, and tan only. But if you're doing it all, I guess a match doesn't matter as much.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

i looked for 5 years for a decent carpet kit (or even decent used carpet set)...never found one.
ended up making my own last year...
good luck.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:40 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
i looked for 5 years for a decent carpet kit (or even decent used carpet set)...never found one.
ended up making my own last year...
good luck.
I seem to recall you just came up with some nice commercial indoor/outdoor carpet and cut to fit, right? Did you have to bind the edges or anything?
Old 03-21-2016, 11:58 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

In 2009 or so, I used generic auto/marine carpet off a roll to make my carpet kit.
I replaced that carpet with automotive "trunk liner" type carpet, in June 2015. Easy to work with, looks great, cost under $100 for carpet and all supplies (new scissors, glue, etc), and the whole car's worth of carpet is about 10 lbs.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:06 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the only944 seat covers on my sport seats. If you look at there website, the sport seats picture is my car. As for quality and fit, I think both are very good. They are vinyl, however they are very high quality. They don't fit as tight as OEM covers, but are very good.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:34 PM
maint
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got seat covers from Leather seats.com. Replaces the stock seats not a cover. Not cheap but happy with quality and fit and I put them on myself
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:54 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Unfortunately Leatherseats.com does not do covers for the older cars anymore. I contacted them several times about 9 months ago with the same answer.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:02 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes you do get what you pay for but that doesn't mean you can use price to assume what you get or what you don't get, or to say that a low price means a bad product. For example, Lseat provided me with some leather sport seat covers that I could hardly be happier with. But their price as compared to other suppliers is quite low, leading some to believe the leather is crap. However, the leather is pretty darn nice and the fit is great. However, the covers come with no tools, no instructions, minimal padding under the leather, and a mistake that I had to correct with the company. (mistake was piping came in wrong color, lol.)

So although I paid under $400 some really nice covers, I had to supply the time, labor and tools to make them look nice. Then I realized they badly needed some leather treatment products to make everything look and feel excellent. "Getting what you pay for" doesn't take into consider anything else so it's a pretty lame phrase.

With that said, I am pretty sure the other best option is only944.com or classic 9.

here they are when newly installed. But they look a lot better now after the leather relaxed so a lot of the wrinkles have flattened out. And I used products to match the sheen on the stock leather seats. I really like them now.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:20 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A trick an older upholstery guy showed me to make new covers fit tight , glue a layer of 1/2 " open cell foam over the old pads . It helps fill out the cover snugly without being a pain to get back on . I would love to go back with leather covers but I just can`t see the added cost at this time . I am looking for a set of sport seats to recover , I can ride my old ones for the time being . Only944 is looking to be my vendor of choice for my covers , plus I am going to do both front and rear so they will match well . It usually takes me about 3 years to go through a build to get it where I want it , only this time I am going to try and do it in stages while keeping the car on the road . I have another toy I am getting ready to clean up and find a new home for , my 70` Triumph Bobber . This will free up some funds .
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2016, 06:43 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Only944 covers come with the foam attached to the covers. No need to add anything to the seat. I have a set waiting to go on. I am very impressed with the quality of them.

Lseat and Only944 are very close in price. My first choice was Lseat, but after seeing their color samples, their brown is no where near dark enough to match the interior of my car (chocolate brown). Only944's vinyl is a near perfect match.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:10 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxfj
My first choice was Lseat, but after seeing their color samples, their brown is no where near dark enough to match the interior of my car (chocolate brown). Only944's vinyl is a near perfect match.
Which color are you looking at on the Only944 seats? I got a few samples and it looked like the 'Brown' vinyl (the one w/ a $75 upcharge) was the best match for my 84 with the 'Call of Duty' color scheme (i.e. brown-on-brown-on-brown) was the best match...

Quick Reply: Suppliers for carpet and seat covers : 944