Notices

Driving Boxster Top Down in DE Event

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 PM
vipola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Boxster Top Down in DE Event

Hi, I was wondering what was the requirement to drive a Boxster with the top down in DE Event with Rennsport..

I saw peoples from NER this week-end driving their boxster top down at Calabogie.. They seems to be using the Broom Stick Test, with some Roll Bar Extention like this one..

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r3030.php

But in Rennsport documentation it's written "At the July meeting of the Rennsport Executive the directors voted to abolish the "broom stick" test for Boxsters and 996 Cabriolets driven without hardtops at Driver's Education events. While it seems obvious that roll bar extensions should offer additional protection for tall occupants, there is no evidence to prove it one way or the other." (I guess this was discriminating tall peoples)

I understand that the softtop give the little extra-protection of keeping your arms and/or corporal fluids inside the vehicule.

Now that I have GT3 Seats in my Boxster, with a 6-points Harness, I am wondering what is required for me to be tolerated to drive my boxster with the Soft Top down at Rennsport DE Events..

I Understand I will need to have at least 'arm restraints', and probably a Roll Bar Extention like the Brey-Krause R-3030.

Will that be enought? or Rennsport require me to have a FULL CAGE to drive with the soft-top down? Witch would'nt make alot sence to me because if a Boxster start to roll, no way a soft-top is comparable to a full cage..

I wish this time I'll get a more complete answer than a simple: "forget it"

Thanks
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Everyone knows cabriolets are for girls!
Get a man's car.
Good Luck
Dwane
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

My impression was that the soft-top needs to be absent ... eg. if its present, it needs to be up ... there are plenty of modified boxsters, 944s, etc. with missing tops that run in DE's with no lid.

Would love to know the official rule.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 AM
vipola
Racer

Exactly.. I can get the fuse out if that's the official rule
Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Vipola - you can drive a boxster top down if you have the equipment you describe, i.e. arm restraints which require a harness. If you wear a harness you need to be sure your helmet is below the level of the roll bar - we call it the hockey stick test in Quebec

The one boxster you saw top down at Calabogie was a Spec Boxster race car with a full cage including top braces. The NER chief instructor, Peter Tracy was driving a blue Box S ... with the top up.

Now the whys:

if god forbid you roll the car, without arm restraints your arms will fly up and you might have them crushed. Hence all open top cars require arm restraints.

If you wear a three point belt and roll the car, your body will bend at an angle and prevent your head from being crushed. If you are wearing a six point harness and held bolt upright, imagine what happens if you roll the car and your head is above the roll bar. I will not wear a 6 pt harness even in a coupe unless it has a roll bar.

Running your boxster top down will also reduce your top speed by about 10-15 KPH - the added aero drag will be noticed.

So, now you know the story behind the safety regulations.

Regards,
Old 07-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Bob, Peter ran his Boxster on Sat in the Red Enduro ... top down.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM
vipola
Racer

Exactly, he went top down in the afternoon.. I asked him about his rollbar extention brand but I forgot to ask him infos about his arm restraints..

Thanks Bob for that detailled Answer

So I understand I will 'NEED' a Arm Restraints, I did a few search on Internet and didn't find much, anyone have a suggestion of some good brand to look at?

And just as for clarification of the Roll Bar Extention and the Seat Belt Thing:

If I wear an Arm Restraints and I pass the Hockey Stick test with the stock Roll Bar, is the roll bar extention required anyway? (Not that I try to cut corner, but that things is over 1K$ :P)

If I wear an Arm Restraints and the 3 point seat belt (to let my body bend), is the Hockey Stick Test Required?

I just want to be sure I fully understand everything so I won't have no surprise, not that I plan to do it all the time, but when it's super hot outside like it was at calabogie, it can be fun for a run or two, and It would make some nice pictures

Thanks
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Didn't notice if he had arm restraints, as I was passing him, but he did have a rollbar extension.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM
vipola
Racer

Yes he Did, he showed it to me, and I actually did the broom test on him right before the red enduro
Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Martino996
Rennlist Member

So I understand I will 'NEED' a Arm Restraints, I did a few search on Internet and didn't find much
Look at this :

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...gory_Code=IOPP
Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 PM
vipola
Racer

Thanks!
It's less expensive that I tought..

I'm just waiting to know if the roll bar extention is mendatory or if these Arm Restraints alone will do the job
Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by vipola
Thanks!
It's less expensive that I tought..

I'm just waiting to know if the roll bar extention is mendatory or if these Arm Restraints alone will do the job
Put your helmet on and get a friend with a hockey stick. Note one of the BK extensions is so tall the top will not go back up. Careful. Still not sure why you'd rather go slower though.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Arm restraints that I have seen work with the 6 point harness. Available from Scroth, Sabelt etc.

If you pass the broomstick test with the factory roll bars you don't need the Brey Kraus extension.

Regards,
Old 07-14-2010, 10:52 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Put your helmet on and get a friend with a hockey stick. Note one of the BK extensions is so tall the top will not go back up. Careful. Still not sure why you'd rather go slower though.
Its good to understand the logic on the rules - I think I would prefer to run top up anyway - too many things to concentrate on at 200 kph at the end of the back straight at CMP to have the additional distraction of a marble from the car in front of you bouncing off your helmet, etc.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Its good to understand the logic on the rules - I think I would prefer to run top up anyway - too many things to concentrate on at 200 kph at the end of the back straight at CMP to have the additional distraction of a marble from the car in front of you bouncing off your helmet, etc.
Just close your visor

Quick Reply: Driving Boxster Top Down in DE Event