Notices

Where to live in London?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:09 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where to live in London?

I am putting the call out to our London members. I am going to be in London for 3 months. I am looking to do a short let. I am just trying to decide where to live. I want to be on the North or North West sides of London close to the tube. I want to be close to shops, restaurants and a couple pubs. Here are some of the areas I am looking at:

Swiss Cottage
Regents Park
St. Johns Wood
Baker Street
Finchley Road
Camden
Marylebone
West Hampstead

Suggestions? What good or bad?

I am currently staying near Regents Park and there are Porsches all over the place. They are mostly 911's, in particulary 996s. I have seen a couple Boxsters and Caymans, but this is clearly 911 territory. I can't turn a corner without seeing a 997, 996 or 993. I see a lot of cabs and C4S models. I can understand seeing a C4S. It snowed today (yes, it snows in April).
Old 04-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Most of those areas are pretty close together. Take a few days and stop by Swiss Cottage, Regents Park, St Johns Wood and Belsize Park. Camden is a bit skanky but lively. See what you like.

Cheers,

David
Old 04-07-2008, 06:35 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

David,

What do you think about North Ealing?

So far the area I like the best was around Finchley road. I am going down to Nitting Hill tomorrow and Mayfair on Wednesday.

Cheers
Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know Finchley Road, you'll like Notting Hill (but pricey) and Mayfair (very pricey). Ealing Broadway area is very lively and tube connections are good plus, obviously, the right side for the airport. Paddington Basin is quite hip. Target an area and hop on and off the tube to see what you think.

Good luck!

Cheers,

David
Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

I have now seen places in St. Johns Wood, Notting Hill, Camden, Mayfair and Marylebone. I have a couple places in Mayfair, Marylebone and a nice location on Baker Street I am considering. The nicest one I've seen is an updated 2-bedroom in an exclusive area in Marylebone. I am going to check out North Ealing this weekend.

Ealing Broadway is out of the question for commuting. It is off the Central Line, so good for getting into Central London. Unfortunately, I need to head away from the City Center on either the Metropolitan or Piccadily lines to head to the office.

Update:

I made a final decision and the offer I made was accepted. I just moved into Notting Hill. Mayfair was nice (upscale), but not much to do or around there. I could not find anything comparable in St. Johns Woods. Paddington was my alternative.

Side note, I went through Eiling Broadway. I accidentally got on the wrong train one day on my way from work, so I decided to check it out. I arrived just after dark. It is a much rougher area than any place I have been in London. It was the only place I have been to in London that I did not feel safe.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 04-20-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Looking for a 2-bedroom flat in Kensington near the Gloucester Road tube stop. Should be there from next month to the end of the year.

Any Rennlist gatherings in London?

Quick Reply: Where to live in London?