Notices

is this a ripoff of RL material or allowable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:49 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default is this a ripoff of RL material or allowable?

Question for IB:

A google search for "diameter of porsche 993 oil filter wrench" or similar led me to this page, which just seems to be a rip off completely comprised of rennlist material, including listing "thread members" to make the page look a little more legit.
http://boardreader.com/thread/Ingene...d1kvXe6h6.html
From similar search:
http://boardreader.com/thread/What_s...d0lbXetrj.html

Is this allowed by IB to funnel increased site traffic or is RL material being ripped off and re-directed to someone elses gain (click-thru page)?

Is this the result of allowing RL to be Internet searchable? (I think this was a change a couple of years ago after IB acquisition...IIRC)

just curious, not trying to create a debate over IB policies, etc...
Old 09-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

How do you figure this is a 'ripoff'?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 716 Likes on 497 Posts

This is something that is new to me, not something we have approved, and we're looking into it. Thanks for highlighting!

cheers,
robb
Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Board reader has been doing this for a long time but it's rarely caught or anything done about it.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:01 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
How do you figure this is a 'ripoff'?
Um, all the content is RL (used without permission I'd bet), but the ad money doesn't go to RL (or that's my assumption and why I'm asking).

I'm really asking the question to educate myself a little on the interworkings of these InterWebz thingamajigs...

They try to make themselves sound like they are helping solve the Internet's greatest problems...
http://boardreader.com/info/about.htm
Originally Posted by Boardreader
Overview
BoardReader was developed to address the shortcomings of current search engine technology to accurately find and display information contained on the Web's forums and message boards. Founded in May 2000 by engineers and students from the University of Michigan, Boardreader uses proprietary software that allows users to search multiple message boards simultaneously, allowing users to share information in a truly global sense.
Our Focus
Boardreader is focused on creating the largest repository of searchable information for our users. We also strive to increase traffic and exposure for the individual forum and message board.

By creating an interface that corresponds with multiple boards simultaneously, users can find answers to their questions from others who share similar interests. Our goal is to allow our users to search the "human to human" discussions that exist on the Internet.
Or, make a lot of money off of ad page hits, while borrowing your content to keep our overhead low...

Similarly, if you've ever received a patent, Googling your name will return a ton of ad-page sites for "patent search engines" similar to this (content "borrowed" from the USPTO, which is itself easily searchable). Just pollution of the Internet really...

Originally Posted by Robb M.
This is something that is new to me, not something we have approved, and we're looking into it. Thanks for highlighting!

cheers,
robb
I'm curious what you find out...
Old 09-21-2012, 10:52 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
Um, all the content is RL (used without permission I'd bet), but the ad money doesn't go to RL (or that's my assumption and why I'm asking).
Keith, I'm curious about the operation of these forums in general and your comment above sparked it.

Internet Brands I take it is the provider of most if not all of these forums. Am I correct?

So how does one start a forum such as RL? Do they contact IB and pay a monthly or annual fee or is it paid for by banner advertizing? And if so, who on RL owns or operates RL for profit or as a business?

Who do sponsors on forums pay their fees to?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Inspector Robb is on the case!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 716 Likes on 497 Posts

Old 09-21-2012, 10:53 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I would be very curious to hear the opinion of RL owners about boardreader, they do rank very well on google for many forums content.

Being in the content business I have always been shocked as to why it was allowed.

But back in the days the more links you had toward your site the better so you would not really fight but encourage re-publishing. But todays that things are turned around and unique content is key.... board reader might be in trouble soon.

Quick Reply: is this a ripoff of RL material or allowable?