Notices

Where'd the Classifieds go??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011 | 05:56 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Was it broke before it was fixed? Just saying. I thought the old system was fine.
Old 06-13-2011 | 06:04 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Hi John,

The simple fact of the matter is that yes, the old system was broken. Broken far beyond any chance of repairing it. This was further compounded by it running on different servers & operating system than the rest of the site, and the fact there was zero integration with the forum, and paid rennlist member accounts. It required a manual process for every single user who ever added themselves to it. This, unfortunately, is simply not tenable, nor scalable. People were being forced to wait too long to receive their membership number to gain access, this is no longer an issue.

cheers,
robb
Old 06-15-2011 | 08:50 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Robb, thank you for offering to help us understand this new system. I don't like it, but let me try to explain why it doesn't work for me.

When I use the classifieds I want a category I can browse. For example, I want to look at ALL the 993s being sold. Not just the 95s, or the 96s, or the 97s or the 98s. (incidentally there is no 993 category ... Right? ... Just 911). To find all 993s, I have to do FOUR separate searches. Why can't all 993s be in one place?

When I browse the parts category (the old system), I'd frequently trip over something I wasn't specifically looking for, but, gee there it is a $50 pair of 993 motor sound exhaust tips. I'll buy it. How do I do that without mind-numbing countless searches through ever part for every model Porsche ever built.

I could go on and on, but this new system may be more to your liking but did anyone do any research into whether it was "user friendly"? It isn't. Plain and simple.

Your help in making it more like the old classifieds is appreciated.
Old 06-15-2011 | 09:30 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Seriously, you think IB will react or change?"

Actually, I don't care. Ian is just a few minutes over the Broward County line if I need parts.

It's just (or WAS) fairly easy to browse through the OLD classifieds and find something of interest. I have gotten quite a few things that way.

The people who SHOULD care are the members who're (is that actually a proper contraction?) trying to get other folks to notice their wares! It ain't gonna happen with the "new" system.

The "new" classifieds are merely annoying!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 06-15-2011 | 09:35 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree 1000% with dave. I loved being easily able to look at 944/968/924 parts....now if I want to do that without getting a headache.....i guess I should go to pelican.
Old 06-16-2011 | 01:24 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Hello Dave,

I have made some changes this morning. Now, when you are in the parts section, you may click on any of the categories listed and view all threads from that category with 1 simple click. I do hope that this helps a bit in making it easier to browse through the new setup.

cheers,
robb
Old 06-22-2011 | 11:23 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No good deed goes unpunished around here, Robb.

Why is your user status changed to Rennlist Member? Are you no longer with IB?
Old 06-23-2011 | 11:00 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Randy V
Why is your user status changed to Rennlist Member? Are you no longer with IB?
I haven't gone, nor do I plan to go anywhere, I love this job

I added myself to the RL Members group so that I could be sure I experience the same thing our members have been.

cheers,
robb
Old 06-23-2011 | 12:01 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Robb M.
I haven't gone, nor do I plan to go anywhere, I love this job

I added myself to the RL Members group so that I could be sure I experience the same thing our members have been.

cheers,
robb
So you're saying you don't want folks here to know you work at IB?

That's odd for someone in your support role.
Old 06-23-2011 | 12:27 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

I think you're perhaps reading a bit too deep into things?

I was testing the marketplace, from the standpoint of a rennlist member, hence the addition of the usergroup temporarily.

cheers,
robb
Old 06-23-2011 | 07:51 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Robb M.
I think you're perhaps reading a bit too deep into things?

cheers,
robb
Perhaps.

What happened to the gif in my sig? It resides on my personal rennlist webspace.

Is there a problem with the member sites?

Quick Reply: Where'd the Classifieds go??