Notices
View Poll Results: What would you like to see for the rennlist menu?
The new option you have suggested below with navigation at the top
44.72%
No change, I prefer the current sidebar option.
45.07%
I am to busy watching the German GP to really care, just don't delete the OT section.
10.21%
Voters: 852. You may not vote on this poll

New Menu

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks for opportunity to provide input.

I prefer the current set-up, with the side bar menu that expands during drill-down.

The change would have no real advantages to me, and might add frustration to my set navigation process.

I encourage the designers to offer enhancements that can be implemented as an optional look.

Am curious what drove this development effort. If it were me, I'd be putting 3/4 effort on enhancing the ability of members to search, sort and organize information and customize their own library of links to rennlist reference data. The thread subscription methodology, for instance, could be made more functional.

I'd also make sure I had excess server power and redundancy without trying to gain it through software tweaks that change the look of the pages.

These are the types of true functional changes that developers should focus on.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:02 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow....my vote made it exactly even at 370 for the top two choices...

it's going down to the wire
Old 07-13-2009, 12:47 PM
The Russian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love change, exercises my brain...bring it on.....

But if i dodnt like it can we switch back??!!!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Eastep
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the site should be setup in the format VWVortex is. Its such a huge site and theyve tried various formats over the years, but the current is by far the best and most user friendly
Old 07-13-2009, 01:42 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 545 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by dr bob
-- The best option is always the one you already know.

-- On my desktop/laptop screen there's adequate space for the current left-side menus without disturbing readability of the lists and message. No problem keeping the current layout.

-- When viewing via a mobile device (iPhone) I end up zooming for readability, and the left-side menus are off the screen. Real estate is precious, so the top pull-downs would be a better option for mobile device users.

Has thought been given to an option for mobil and low-bandwidth users to have a stripped-down low-frills faster-loading format? Many sites seem able to do this for mobile users already. OK to keep the header ads, for instance, but no animation please. Complex frames that take a while to load-- not needed when I have to wait for them to load then zoom past them anyway. You get the idea, I'm sure. That would reduce some of the bandwidth loading for the system and servers too.
So I saw the streamlined mobile screen on my iPhone for a day or so, now it's back to the standard full-width screen. Adrian, are we going to be able to make that a feature, or did it get too many negative user comments?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Russian
I love change, exercises my brain...bring it on.....

But if i dodnt like it can we switch back??!!!!!
We will trial for a period (a week or so I am thinking) and see what peoples thoughts are on it then.
If people don't like it once they have used it, we can revert back
Originally Posted by dr bob
So I saw the streamlined mobile screen on my iPhone for a day or so, now it's back to the standard full-width screen. Adrian, are we going to be able to make that a feature, or did it get too many negative user comments?
We created a mobile only template which detects mobile devices.
Feedback I had seen indicated that iPhone users preferred the standard template (due to their larger screen/browser), so I disabled the detection for iPhones. All other mobile devices will be detected.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SnakeFeeder
Although I've never posted here - until now that is - I do spend a fair bit opf time lurking and searching the 928 section. I think it would be a BIG help search-wise to have some Boolean logic available in the advanced search. ie. And & Or functions.
You should be able to

http://sphinxsearch.com/docs/manual-...boolean-syntax
I will see if I can get these added to the advanced search page

Quick Reply: New Menu