Notices

PCA Panorama "Slam Dunk" on 993 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 10:51 AM
perrys7342
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down PCA Panorama "Slam Dunk" on 993 Reliability

In the latest October 2004 edition of the Porsche Club of America Panorama magazine, the 911 Technical Guru Joel Reiser give a very negative impression of the 993 in response to a question "What is the New 997 engine". (Incidentally, he didn't answer that and should have said..."I don't know").

Indicating 993's with OBD-II's are "coming down with major OBD-II failures" with some failing emissions with "mileages as low as 30,000" and indicating "Even worse for the loyal one-car owner, this car is not going the distance it should. Not even close." Adding on with "worn out valve guides with way too few miles" and "...exhaust guides worn out (or worn enough..) at 10-20,000 miles.", he give the impression these cars are pieces of rolling junk and maintenance nightmares for potential owners.

He then adds "insult to injury" (in spite of facts to the contrary) by recommending the 996 (albeit with warranty) over the 993 and even the GT2/GT3.

Strangely, Bruce Anderson, previously a longtime PCA Technical Guru and writer for Excellence Magazine, while always favoring "the newest you can afford" has said just the opposite.

No flame-war intended, but just wonder if this guy truly has the background (or I've paid PCA dues in error for over 30 years) to slam-dunk the 993 for perhaps "undecided Porsche Voters" in this way...

Perry (42 Years of Porsche Ownership)
Old 10-19-2004, 12:41 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

This in really nothing new. The PCA Tech forum editors have been giving this stuff out. I subscribe to the 996 forum and there have many discussions on this issue which boil down to the editor stating that it is a matter of time that 993 engines will get a CEL for fouled air injectors or worn valve guides. There are obviously many owner of high milage cars that disagree with their position.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:38 PM
perrys7342
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I posted this thread in the wrong forum...and then placed it correctly in the 993 Forum

Perry
Old 10-19-2004, 06:43 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Perry...!

Yep - I noticed that.. Actually, this same subject came up a few days ago in that same Forum - but it looks like yours has a different set of respondants..? No problem at all..!

Here was that first thread, if you'd like to refer to it:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/164958-october-pano-article.html

Best to you!

John D.

Quick Reply: PCA Panorama "Slam Dunk" on 993 Reliability