Notices

Nurburgring question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:52 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Nurburgring question

I will be visiting Germany this June and I would like to see the Nurburgring. I know the 24hr race is June7 to June 10. I would imagine things are pretty crazy around that time. Other then those dates is it open every day? Would it be better to go just before or just after that race or would weekends be better?
Thanks, Rich
Old 01-15-2007, 12:06 PM
stilton_a_cheese
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go, the complete schedual for 2007 thus far. be aware that the date format is day.month.year so you could probably get some track time on any date tot already taken

http://www.nuerburgring.de/2_eventst...gen/index.html
Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Thanks for the link. I am just going as a spectator. Do you have any idea when would be the best time to go? I will be in Germany from June 2 to June 17.
Thanks again, Rich
Old 01-15-2007, 12:20 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Rich, try to contact Jan Erren at Manthey Racing. They are always testing different cars at the ring. Easy for them since they are only across the street.

Theo
Old 01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
stilton_a_cheese
Instructor

ok. Rock am Ring is a big three day rock music festival, so the track won't be open for motor sports.

Old-timer festival looks interesting tickets cost 25 euro...
Old 01-16-2007, 12:09 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Do you know how long it will take to drive there from Wendlingen? I am thinking of going either june 6 or 7. I figure there will be alot to see with the race coming up. If I do decide to go for the race will I be able to get tickets when I get there at the gate? Any idea how much to get in?
Rich
Old 01-21-2007, 07:52 AM
stilton_a_cheese
Instructor

*Do you know how long it will take to drive there from Wendlingen? I am thinking of going either june 6 or 7. I figure there will be alot to see with the race coming up. If I do decide to go for the race will I be able to get tickets when I get there at the gate? Any idea how much to get in?
Rich*

go to www.google.de and then click Mehr (more) then click google maps. enter Wendlingen (shows you where you'll be starting from) and then enter Nurburgring (shows you where you're going) zoom in and out. It's Autobahn all the way to the Eifel but then the twisties start, and we're talking back-road barn-storming. The Autobahns are no different than any other highway system, there'll be a bunch of traffic, and if there's been an accident you could get stuck in a Stau. Figure Stuttgart to Koblenz is at least 3 hours and another hour from Koblenz to the Nurburgring. Last years tickets to the 24 hour race were 22 Euros (per day or 56 Euros for all days) so you gotta figure 25 this year at least
Old 01-23-2007, 10:13 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Thanks very much for the info.
Rich
Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Via Michelin works pretty well with fairly conservative travel times.

You really have to get a few laps in to make the visit truly memorable.

I'm a local and a 'ring instructor so would be able to give you a few passenger laps to get acquainted wiht the circuit.

For a really exciting ride you might look into sitting in the right seat during the VLN training on a Friday evening before the races. Bit pricey, but good fun.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:18 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Hammerwerfer
I go to Germany usually every two years or so. In the future I would like to do as you suggest but this time I just want to see the track and visit the area. Is it better to go on a weekend? Does anything go on during the week? I would like to see as many hot cars as possible. I will be in Germany from June 2nd to the 17th. When do you recomend that I go. We will be takng the Porsche factory tour on June 4th. I am thinking of going from there to the ring? Do you think I will be able to get a room that night? Anything else Porsche related you can recomend?
Thanks, Rich
Old 02-22-2007, 01:06 PM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Check the VLN Veedol Langstreckenpokal Nordschleife or something like that, schedule for races suring your stay. OOPS! I just had a look and sure enough the 24 hour is on during your stay. They are always interesting with fields of maybe 200 cars, a good number of them Porsches, naturally enough. A visit to Manthey might be a good idea. They are located in the industrial park neaer the entrance for Touristenfahrt. Everthing there from their quasi factory effort to vintage cars.

On weekdays during the day is industry pool testing. You might get lucky and see something special...

Unless there is a race on you should have no trouble getting a room. You will have a hard time unless you book early to get a room duting the 24hr.I recommend Am Tiergarten which is owned by the Schmitz family. Sabine also drives a 997 Cup in the VLN, as well as the M5 'ring taxi.

Last edited by hammerwerfer; 02-22-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:57 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Do you have any contact info for Am Tiergarten? Phone number or Web site.
Thanks again for your help, Rich
Old 02-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Dodo
Intermediate

http://www.am-tiergarten.de/

If that's full, there are several other options. Book well in advance if it's a big race weekend.

If you''re there for a public day weekend, you'll see a lot and meet many.

Unfortunately, there isn't a VLN race in June
VLN Schedule
Old 02-26-2007, 07:37 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Originally Posted by gt3racerich
Hammerwerfer
I just want to see the track and visit the area. Is it better to go on a weekend?
Thanks, Rich
What better place to see the track than from inside a car doing a lap? It is 20km around, so you can only see tiny bits of it from the various viewing areas. I'd hate to see you come all the way and not get at least a few laps in.

There are plenty of drivers who will give you a passenger lap or two if you aren't quite up to driving ti yourself. In fact I would recommend a few passenger laps to anyone before venturing out on their own.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:34 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

Go to www.porscheforum.nl it's a dutch porsche forum with any members who are going to the ring regularly.

Quick Reply: Nurburgring question