Notices

Twisty and scenic roads in Southern Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 08:51 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Twisty and scenic roads in Southern Ontario

I've spent a fair amount of time looking for interesting roads to ramble through. Apart from the Escarpment, Southern Ontario is very flat, and the roads are very straight... well, at least outside the cities of Kitchener and Waterloo. I suppose it's efficient for transportation, but it's not much fun for us. I assume most of us know the Forks of the Credit road, but it's short and crowded at times, so it would be nice to have some alternatives or additions. I'll share a few roads I've tried below, sorted from near to far.

Hockley Road, near Orangeville: It's somewhat winding and somewhat scenic, though it's nothing too exciting for me despite the 70 km/h speed limit. The curves aren't too tight, and it seems to be fairly popular with bikers. Still, it's a decent length and relatively close to the GTA.

Airport Road, north of Hwy 9, near Orangeville: While not too curvy, it's a scenic area with plenty of ups and downs. It's a pleasant scenic road for going places.

River Road, from Horning's Mills to Terra Nova:
Great long twisty run, with low traffic, where you can have fun while staying within the speed limit. There are several similar decent roads around and connecting to it too, such as 20 Sideroad and Prince of Wales Road. Just remember to be courteous and watch out for pedestrians and bicyclists on the side of the road.

County Road 9, near Creemore and Noisy River Provincial Park: I haven't visited it yet, but it's on my to go list for my next outing. It looks decent in Google Maps.

Any other suggestions for enjoyable roads within a couple hours of the GTA?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:48 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Drive north. 2 hours will get you to the road that I have to drive to get to my driveway. There are lots like that.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:54 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Frontenac Park, Opinicon Lake area (Kingston) and Prince Edward County!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by curtisr
Frontenac Park, Opinicon Lake area (Kingston) and Prince Edward County!
Thanks for the suggestions! I've looked towards Muskoka many times and admired the roads there, but I hadn't realized that there are similar roads just north of Kingston.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:30 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I tried to create a virtual tour using Google Map but it's only point to point and you wouldn't get the sense of how wonderful it really is. Years ago our club thought of applying to host the Cycling Road National Championships using a circuit that begins and ends in Sydenham (north of Kingston). The route is equal parts up, down and flat. Tons of twisties! This is also true of Sydenham to Wesport back to Kingston via Opinicon. Both the Ottawa and Kingston Porsche groups use these roads. Beyond incredible.

Slightly closer to home would be Prince Edward County. Home to vineyards and retired hockey players, Picton, Sandbanks, antiques, etc. etc. The Crossfire group of Ontario does a two day tour there and last year I organized a 1000 Island Porsche Car Club day-long affair.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:54 AM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front Road - Long Point to Port Ryerse - lots of up and down, sweeping curves, nice scenery and even a couple of hairpins.

Lakeshore Road - west from Long Point is nice too, although lacks the curves of Front Road.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:42 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...-___58692.html
Old 04-04-2017, 02:43 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

As jpeg:
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2017, 03:13 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmh981
Front Road - Long Point to Port Ryerse - lots of up and down, sweeping curves, nice scenery and even a couple of hairpins.

Lakeshore Road - west from Long Point is nice too, although lacks the curves of Front Road.
I hit this most beautiful scenic route every weekend.

You can take the back roads through Paris to Port Dover, then front street all the way to Long Point or even further to Port Burwell.

If you come from Port Burwell / Long Point way, its always nice to end in Port Dover on the water at Davids Restaurant.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:34 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the Rattlesnake Rd drive with loops around Campbelville and back down through Cedars Springs and over to Lowville. A while ago I was going to do fun run around Halton for UCR but the President at the time blew me off because he felt insulted that I told him the idea of a Porsche Club region as large as ours (biggest in North America) having its first *big* Spring club event at an auto body shop was shameful. He ignored me after that.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:03 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1

WARNING: Cops know about these roads being frequented by speed demons, also please be careful about cyclists and motorcyclists on these roads.

Last edited by 997_Toronto; 04-07-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
I like the Rattlesnake Rd drive with loops around Campbelville and back down through Cedars Springs and over to Lowville. A while ago I was going to do fun run around Halton for UCR but the President at the time blew me off because he felt insulted that I told him the idea of a Porsche Club region as large as ours (biggest in North America) having its first *big* Spring club event at an auto body shop was shameful. He ignored me after that.
My back yard, every year I do a 928 gathering and run on those roads, but last year was a disaster, way to much traffic, cops and cyclists. This year I'm moving it to Niagara (Same route as the May 7th spring cruise).
Old 04-08-2017, 01:25 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hwy 60 out of Huntsville is the bomb.
The following users liked this post:
Pags993 (06-13-2023)
Old 04-08-2017, 04:16 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

The interesting roads up here (Huntsville) have taken a beating over winter. Lots of big holes.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:17 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
As jpeg:
Hi LastMezger,

That map is awesome.
Do you happen to have this picture in a higher resolution? I wouldn't mind having it printed on my wall in my office
I tried to find it on the site you listed (bestbikingroads.com) but couldn't get the same detail.

Thanks
Kevin

Quick Reply: Twisty and scenic roads in Southern Ontario