Notices

Twisty and scenic roads in Southern Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out highway 507 out of Buckhorn. It's huge for street bikes there is even a website about it.

Originally Posted by wizee
I've spent a fair amount of time looking for interesting roads to ramble through. Apart from the Escarpment, Southern Ontario is very flat, and the roads are very straight... well, at least outside the cities of Kitchener and Waterloo. I suppose it's efficient for transportation, but it's not much fun for us. I assume most of us know the Forks of the Credit road, but it's short and crowded at times, so it would be nice to have some alternatives or additions. I'll share a few roads I've tried below, sorted from near to far.

Hockley Road, near Orangeville: It's somewhat winding and somewhat scenic, though it's nothing too exciting for me despite the 70 km/h speed limit. The curves aren't too tight, and it seems to be fairly popular with bikers. Still, it's a decent length and relatively close to the GTA.

Airport Road, north of Hwy 9, near Orangeville: While not too curvy, it's a scenic area with plenty of ups and downs. It's a pleasant scenic road for going places.

River Road, from Horning's Mills to Terra Nova: Great long twisty run, with low traffic, where you can have fun while staying within the speed limit. There are several similar decent roads around and connecting to it too, such as 20 Sideroad and Prince of Wales Road. Just remember to be courteous and watch out for pedestrians and bicyclists on the side of the road.

County Road 9, near Creemore and Noisy River Provincial Park: I haven't visited it yet, but it's on my to go list for my next outing. It looks decent in Google Maps.

Any other suggestions for enjoyable roads within a couple hours of the GTA?
Old 04-09-2017, 09:50 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kgoertz
Hi LastMezger,

That map is awesome.
Do you happen to have this picture in a higher resolution? I wouldn't mind having it printed on my wall in my office
I tried to find it on the site you listed (bestbikingroads.com) but couldn't get the same detail.

Thanks
Kevin
I have one that's abt 4k x 3k. Msg me your email addr and I can send it to you
Old 04-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the 507 its very twisty lots of elevation changes etc...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...699999997&z=11

There used to be a website where street bike guys posted their times down the road, its pretty crazy!
Old 04-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove home last night from TMP Cayuga to TO. Departed at 9:30PM and it was very dark but the dynamic lights were cool through the turns!

Used the Porsche Navigation System and it took me on what I'm guessing is a very scenic drive up the west side of the Grand River around Caledonia then through the country entering Hamilton from the South West using the 403 to join the QE for the last dash.

Think it was Hwy 3 to 6 but maybe someone familiar with the area can clarify.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:48 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n
Drove home last night from TMP Cayuga to TO. Departed at 9:30PM and it was very dark but the dynamic lights were cool through the turns!

Used the Porsche Navigation System and it took me on what I'm guessing is a very scenic drive up the west side of the Grand River around Caledonia then through the country entering Hamilton from the South West using the 403 to join the QE for the last dash.

Think it was Hwy 3 to 6 but maybe someone familiar with the area can clarify.
Thats a nice driving road.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:07 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Leave your lowered car at home. 1 1/2 lanes wide, off camber, do it, turn around and do it again road. Hint-snowmobile trail in the winter. Kizmit- premium shell at the south end.
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/44.99...dbff66!1m0!3e0
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2017, 02:23 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's an interesting one: 'Nurburging Hamilton'

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...600000001&z=13
The following users liked this post:
distracteddev (02-09-2024)
Old 04-11-2017, 02:17 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Leave your lowered car at home. 1 1/2 lanes wide, off camber, do it, turn around and do it again road. Hint-snowmobile trail in the winter. Kizmit- premium shell at the south end.
Do you take this road often? It puts you about 500m from my cottage front door
Old 04-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
Thats a nice driving road.
#54 to Caledonia and then hwy 6 south to Hamilton. (Used to live in Caledonia). Now there is a short cut using the airport road right from 6 south to the 403. In the old days we used to have to take the back roads to the 403.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:04 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
I have done this road many times going up north. Its a great track but it can be very rough at times and have lots of sand in the corners early in the season. I love the part up on top of the shield - great picnic spot
Old 04-11-2017, 05:45 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
I have done this road many times going up north. Its a great track but it can be very rough at times and have lots of sand in the corners early in the season. I love the part up on top of the shield - great picnic spot
The Torrance Barons......one of the darkest places at night in Ontario or North America supposedly iirc
Old 04-19-2017, 01:01 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by jmh981
Front Road - Long Point to Port Ryerse - lots of up and down, sweeping curves, nice scenery and even a couple of hairpins.

Lakeshore Road - west from Long Point is nice too, although lacks the curves of Front Road.
Went through this area today. Front Road was fantastic - great scenery and great curves. It's a good road for convertibles with the top down - I enjoyed myself going well below the speed limit in some places to take in the scenery. Front Road is much better in reality than it appears at first on Google Maps. Lakeshore was OK, though nothing too special IMO when compared to Front Road.

A couple snaps taken today:

Front Road

Port Rowan marina
Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
I try and take it once or twice a year. I'm port carling, so foots bay makes more sense.
Don't go too early in the season. It can be a little damp. My photo from 2oo8 april...
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:39 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I try and take it once or twice a year. I'm port carling, so foots bay makes more sense.
Don't go too early in the season. It can be a little damp. My photo from 2oo8 april...
ha ha ha that's great. The question is, did you keep going??
Old 04-20-2017, 02:08 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Southwood Rd 13 is not one that I would enjoy at speed in a vehicle with low profile tires. At times it can be ok on a motorcycle, cause you can avoid a lot of the frost heaves and pot holes...

The really twisty parts have some spots with really poor sight lines, and there could be pedestrian traffic or oncoming traffic that strays a but over the center line. Definite pucker moments.

The whole surface was redone with chip and tar maybe 10 yrs ago.... It has decayed significantly again since.

Quick Reply: Twisty and scenic roads in Southern Ontario