Notices

Buying & Driving from Nova Scotia!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:30 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take an extra day and run down the coast of NS to enjoy some nice twisties before heading home on the boring highway.
Also, take the 30 south of Montreal and avoid all that mess.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:09 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Drove my 997RS with full cage and GT2 buckets on 4 big trips:

California to Toronto.
California to Vancouver.
Vancouver to Toronto.
Vancouver to Newfoundland.

Keeps the drive interesting every time.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:07 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Drove my 997RS with full cage and GT2 buckets on 4 big trips:

California to Toronto.
California to Vancouver.
Vancouver to Toronto.
Vancouver to Newfoundland.

Keeps the drive interesting every time.
Holy crap..that's nuts. You'r back still intact ?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irobertson
I'd take an extra day and run down the coast of NS to enjoy some nice twisties before heading home on the boring highway.
Also, take the 30 south of Montreal and avoid all that mess.
No need; driving "down the coast" (Which coast? It's all coast) will significantly lengthen your trip and the small coastal roads in N.S. while scenic, are often little used and not well maintained. The Cabot Trail is an exception, but that's a whole separate trip. The frequent freeze/thaw cycles and heavy salt use in the Maritimes are really hard on roads and in the early spring they're usually in rough shape. There are some nice drives but the geography of the province pretty much then requires you to drive in a big loop in order to leave. The larger highways in Nova Scotia don't follow the coast, they're inland and are deadly dull to drive. They're also heavily patrolled along the corridor from Halifax to the New Brunswick border.
You can spice up your drive a little by avoiding the toll highway at Cobequid Pass and driving through the Wentworth Valley instead. There's a reason it used to be known as "the valley of death".
Old 04-10-2017, 07:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr_fvr
Holy crap..that's nuts. You'r back still intact ?
I ended up sleeping in the car one night. GT2 buckets suck to sleep in.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:08 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

May I suggest, if you don't want to go too far out of your way, you take the "Advocate Harbour loop" when heading home. You jump off the TCH just west of Truro and follow the signs towards Parrsboro. If you look on a map, you can see the loop following the coast around this little point of land that takes you through Parrsboro, then Advocate Harbour, Joggins (Fossil site), and River Hebert ending back on TCH at Amherst. This is loop has some great sections of road, nice views (on a nice day) and very light traffic and virtually zero patrols.

At the western tip of the peninsula, there is a lighthouse (Cape D'Or) that has, or at least used to (I haven't been for a couple of years, so check first), a really cool little "mini-gourmet" restaurant right at the lighthouse. It's perched on a cliff face looking across the Bay of Fundy, very, very nice.

https://goo.gl/maps/2WpJycaE1sK2
Old 04-12-2017, 11:43 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions. I wish i could do it all while driving back, but let's see how it plans out.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:01 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donster
"down the coast" (Which coast? It's all coast)
Down would be the southerly direction.
The back way to Peggy's Cove is a great little drive, and you can continue to Chester, then cut straight across the province on the 14 to Windsor in about 45 min, then drive along the North coast to Truro and jump back on the TCH there.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:40 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

If yo want to do a shake down drive before hitting the road, there is a great little loop about 20 mins outside Halifax, goes from Hubbards around the Aspotogan penisula, through Bayswater and back to East River. Jus drove this on Fri and the road is in great condition! Its a brilliant, and lightly traveled road.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I ended up sleeping in the car one night. GT2 buckets suck to sleep in.
A C6 isn't much better. I couldn't find a hotel driving back from New Brunswick. I crashed at a rest stop on I-90 for a couple of hours.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:23 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian 162
A C6 isn't much better. I couldn't find a hotel driving back from New Brunswick. I crashed at a rest stop on I-90 for a couple of hours.
Nice....Only an enthusiast would.

Thanks for suggestions everyone. I am checking all those routes. Will take pics along the way!!!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:38 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

So its almost time, i'll be flying out tomorrow to pick up my car. I just called Service Nova Scotia again to "Triple" check all the documents required.

Now this rep tells me that Nova Scotia temporary permit MIGHT NOT be recognized through New Brunswick and Quebec while driving through those provinces. Meanwhile previous rep was very clear that these permits are recognized throughout the country. How can they be not sure and providing conflicting information?

Any suggestion from you guys?
Old 04-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I flew out to Winnipeg to pick up my GTS in January and drove it back to Toronto.

The drive was a breeze and I had a blast, though the Macan was much more in its element than say a 911 doing the same trip. And I got most of the break in done in those 2 days.

Prior to flying out I got the car registered at Service Ontario (I had the NVIS), paid the HST and assigned my custom plate to it, so all I had to do was put my Ontario plates on it and drive it back. This was a new vehicle though so I guess it was simpler.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Yes it's much easier with Brand new vehicles & seems to be a little tricky with used vehicles.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:16 PM
paul29
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heading west from the NB/Quebec border watch and obey your speed limits especially around Riviere du Loup, hard to get through there without a ticket, if there ever was a speed trap this is it, speed limits constantly changing up and down.

Quick Reply: Buying & Driving from Nova Scotia!!!