Notices

Buying & Driving from Nova Scotia!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:54 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Buying & Driving from Nova Scotia!!!

Hey Guy's,
Thought I'd share my upcoming adventure and hoping some of you can share your experiences / knowledge. So I bought a car in Nova Scotia that i am planning on driving back to Toronto.

What's the best/legal way to "Drive" the vehicle back. This is what I've gathered so far...Please feel free to make suggestions

1. Get insurance on car, get a PDF of pink slips to carry along
2. Obtain 10 day temporary permit in Nova Scotia
3. Bring my own Ontario plates/ownership (plate portion) that i'll be putting on the car once registered in Ontario & use those plates to drive back

I plan on doing the drive with my Brother so we'll take turns from Halifax to Toronto.

It'll be a tough ride with the fixed Carbon Sport Buckets lol

Any suggestions on highways / roads to avoid?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-03-2017, 01:21 PM
gartzspeed
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I did this a couple years ago I just stayed on the highways, I did drive it back November 11th, so I certainly wasnt pushing it.

Took me 15 hours with two stops for gas and one stop for food.

My only suggestion is to TRY and pick a time where you go through Montreal when it isnt rush hour.

For me I left the hotel shortly after 4 am and hit Montreal pretty much exactly 12 hours later. That part of the drive really sucked, driving a stick in rush hour (took just under two hours to make it across the city).

My only word of advice is to know how to access the gas tank. I had to get the manual out..
Old 04-03-2017, 01:24 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice. How did you get around the Plating part.. Did you just put your ontario plates and drove it back?
Old 04-03-2017, 02:01 PM
gartzspeed
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh sorry about that part, you get a 10 day temp permit, your insurance company will fax the dealer proof of insurance, they should have a print out for you... just in case you get pulled over.

They made me put new plates on it.

One more point is, nova Scotia pays 15 per cent HST so you will need to apply for a rebate to get that 2 per cent back.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:48 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Ahh thanks for the info but I am buying it privately so I believe i'll be paying Ontario tax when I register it here.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:52 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Get a trip permit from the Ontario ministry. Last time I checked, you go to a service ontario outlet with the bill of sale and proof of insurance and they'll issue the permit on the spot. It's good for 10 days.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:54 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christien
Get a trip permit from the Ontario ministry. Last time I checked, you go to a service ontario outlet with the bill of sale and proof of insurance and they'll issue the permit on the spot. It's good for 10 days.
Ah good point, atleast at service ontario I can get plates for the car with "T" sticker. I'll try that.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:07 PM
andrew54
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't be given the plates with the "T" sticker unless you transfer ownership and pay the Tax.

You can apply for a "Special Permit" for 10days which allows you to drive the car without registration in your name and thus not yet paying the tax. You however need the ownership, which you may not yet have? If that's the case, I would think NS would be the issuing office.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:09 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

When are you doing the drive? Still snow and really salty down here.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

[QUOTE=andrew54;14083578
You can apply for a "Special Permit" for 10days which allows you to drive the car without registration in your name and thus not yet paying the tax. You however need the ownership, which you may not yet have? If that's the case, I would think NS would be the issuing office.[/QUOTE]

Huh, you're right. That's new (at least since 2004, the last time I bought a trip permit)

https://www.ontario.ca/page/special-permit
Old 04-03-2017, 05:21 PM
andrew54
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup that change caught me by surprise recently and best of all, some MTO offices still refused to give me the permit because they said didn't issue permits any longer (without paying the HST on purchase). Best to bring a copy of the website page or be ready to show them on your phone.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:26 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

So service Ontario link says:
"A special permit can be used to drive a vehicle in Ontario for 10 days starting from the date it is issued"

That allows you to drive it within Ontario but what about driving through all the other 3 provinces? I think i better pay a visit to local service ontario.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
When are you doing the drive? Still snow and really salty down here.
From Urban Dictionary:
Salty
Being angry, agitated, upset.

I used to get pretty salty about the long winters in the Maritimes back when I lived there too.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Be careful. you cannot get a temp permit if the car has been registered unplated or unfit. Since you are buying private I would ask the seller to lend you his plates until you get home and then courier them back. Show him proof of your insurance.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:52 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Ok to spoke to Service Ontario..They clarified the confusion.

So basically, get a 10 day permit in Nova Scotia, Drive the car back with the "Paper temporary permit" along with Proof of Insurance.

Then get a Safety, Emission, Bill of Sale & Pay the HST and register in Ontario.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Quick Reply: Buying & Driving from Nova Scotia!!!