Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:18 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Shopping for Insurance

Gents,

Who do you use for your car insurance?

I've been with my insurance broker since I bought my first car (13 years ago). I'm taking possession of a used Porsche on Friday and figure now is a good time to shop around.

I have 4 vehicles.
1. Daily SUV for wife
2. Daily SUV for me
3. The P-Car which will be stored in Winters and used now and again when out
4. An e36 that's stored and barely used

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2016, 08:14 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 153 Posts

In what condition is the e36?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Stay away from RBC, they just sold off to Aviva and there's nothing but bad reviews on accident claims with them. They sound like a nightmare.

I have been with RBC for almost 20 years but will be moving to TD when my policies are up for renewal in the spring.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:43 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The actual carrier is Wawanesa, I use a local broker in Calgary. All my auto/home/boat policies all come due in April 2017, and I have just started the hunt for some better prices. My Insurance bills are getting on the silly side, IMHO. Like a lot of us we have multiple vehicles, that at any given time are safely parked away in a garage, at a very low risk. I really don't know if I can find better rates or not, but I will sure as heck will try. I am almost at the point of dropping all comprehensive, and just carrying Liability on all my cars. Both the wife and I have been driving for close to half a century, each. Our total at fault claims are 3, all minor fender benders. I am pretty sure what we paid just last year about fully covered the cumulative 100 person/years of driving at fault claims we have had. Sorry, rant is now over. I am going to pay attention here and see what others say.

Cheers, from a cold Calgary.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:02 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Td meloche, buts thats because I have a daughter in the states with a car at school
Old 12-06-2016, 09:10 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
In what condition is the e36?
It's a beauty. Tons of OEM+ goodies. I have an AA SC kit ready to install but want to work on the motor first.

Main keeping it for the long haul. They're worth nothing but the memories and ability to drive it a handful of times every year are priceless to me.

Just like my new-to-me C4S will be.

I'm on the hunt for an income property with a 4+ car garage so that I have a place to hide these toys!

I can't yet afford to collect 6 figure cars, but I want to start collecting great examples of cars I grew up loving.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:12 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Stay away from RBC, they just sold off to Aviva and there's nothing but bad reviews on accident claims with them. They sound like a nightmare.

I have been with RBC for almost 20 years but will be moving to TD when my policies are up for renewal in the spring.
Thanks! I have two clients that work for Aviva and was going to reach out to one who is fairly senior. Maybe not.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

don't kid yourself, TD is not better than Aviva.
I called my agent yesterday to suspend road coverage for my turbo and was told "we don't do that anymore". I have been told this is coming to the whole industry, already happened with motorcycles. why can;t we suspend coverage for a car that is stored away? to line the insurance companies pockets.
I have used kantetix.ca to shop for quotes. I am looking to change tomorrow. I may try state farm as they have a good classic car policy and the turbo is 15 in January.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:02 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I called my agent yesterday to suspend road coverage for my turbo and was told "we don't do that anymore". I have been told this is coming to the whole industry, already happened with motorcycles. why can;t we suspend coverage for a car that is stored away? to line the insurance companies pockets.
I have used kantetix.ca to shop for quotes. I am looking to change tomorrow. I may try state farm as they have a good classic car policy and the turbo is 15 in January.
Please let me know how your conversation with State Farm goes. My car will also be 15 years in January.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:44 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Well that doesn't sound good either. I renew in May, so will be watching this thread for ideas.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Scotty2H
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I use TD and just suspended coverage mid-November. Car is stored with comprehensive only for some $10/month. Not sure why they wouldn't offer this to you.

Personally have nothing but good things to say about TD's auto coverage. I have had a car stolen, twice, and two no fault accidents and have been treated like a gem. Chose my own service centres, even got a 911 rental from Pfaff on TD when my 10 yr old 911 was being repaired from a fender bender. They also went out of their way on their own initiative to rejig my home/auto coverage with my wife as primary on another car to reduce my premium by $50 a year. I'd give them a shot.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:05 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had Aviva for quite a few years, made one road debris claim, only one minor issue when I had to pay a bit extra to use OEM front bumper cover vs. aftermarket, the rep who took my call told me there won't be any deductible because I had been claim free for more than 5 years, I also got a fairly good rate when the company I joined had a preferred employee discount with Aviva.

A few years later the employee discount with Aviva went away when the company teamed up with All State, a very good experience with the agent going out of her way getting me a good rate, monthly payment with 0% interest, and took care of transferring the policy from Aviva to Allstate.

I also was able to suspend all coverage other than comprehensive for the 996, this was a couple of days ago, did it on line, no need to print, sign, scan/fax the signed form to Aviva as was before.

Although I am also looking for a new insurance company after leaving the company and the Allstate discount.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:38 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

I've had great luck with TD Danny, and always do the winter storage (including the GT2 a couple weeks or so ago) thing without issue...not sure why you have issue?
Aviva was crazy expensive to add GT2 so switched to TD and has been great, including a few NAF claims on my past daily beaters

Old 12-07-2016, 12:07 AM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Your agent is full of it. I just took the road coverage off my Z06 last week. I had my policy adjusted and I got a cheque on Monday.
BTW I'm with CAA.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:35 AM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Last year when I called TD the agent said it had to be suspended for at least 45 days, if I recall it was about $8:00 a month. Well it would of been if I could of lasted that long

Quick Reply: Shopping for Insurance