Notices

Carrera GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:22 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carrera GT

Happened to be at DTC. This beauty was there as well.

https://www.facebook.com/keith.fansett/posts/10154078007688015
Old 12-04-2016, 06:06 PM
Fuggit
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome!

Couldn't help but post my own sighting as well, albeit in LA...

Old 12-05-2016, 12:25 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm going to put this out there in the friendly Canadian subforum....

I have never found the Carrera GT to be a particularly good looking car. In fact, in some angles, it looks really awkward to me, especially with the roof on.

Does anybody feel the same way?

Of course, I've read about the awesome V10, the stickshift with the tricky clutch when driving off, and the potentially scary driving experience when pushing the car. I'm sure the driving experience is thrilling. But as a beautiful car??....curious to see what others think.

Personally, I think the 918 spyder LOOKS a lot better. And to be honest, I also did not find the Enzo to be particularly good looking either......in that era, I thought the SLR was the most beautiful, even though it was the worse performer in terms of driving dynamics.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

.well... it kinda looks like the new Boxster..
Old 12-05-2016, 12:47 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree it's not the best looking car ever but it is compact, fairly timeless and beautifully made.

The clutch gets a lot of bad press but I didn't have any issue on road or track. It has an auto-fill feature so you just let it out, the car modulates the thrill, and then hit the gas.

The driving experience is unlike anything I've ever experienced. It's like there's no weight to the car at all and the sound, dear god the sound!

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm going to put this out there in the friendly Canadian subforum....

I have never found the Carrera GT to be a particularly good looking car. In fact, in some angles, it looks really awkward to me, especially with the roof on.

Of course, I've read about the awesome V10, the stickshift with the tricky clutch when driving off, and the potentially scary driving experience when pushing the car. I'm sure the driving experience is thrilling. But as a beautiful car??....curious to see what others think.

Personally, I think the 918 spyder LOOKS a lot better. And to be honest, I also did not find the Enzo to be particularly good looking either......in that era, I thought the SLR was the most beautiful, even though it was the worse performer in terms of driving dynamics.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:10 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Awesome car in it's time as is with most cars in their time.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:41 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Somewhat how I feel, like the looks of the 918 better and also the LaFa over the Enzo. I have to agree with others on the glorious sound of the V10.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you ever seen one in person? Photos don't do them justice. Same with the 918. And the Audi R8. Maybe the Veyron too - I've never seen that in person, but they don't do much for me in pics/video.

Bear in mind that modern car bodies are all designed as much by wind tunnel engineers as they are by artists, so the days of pure aesthetic beauty found in the likes of the Dino, e-type, classic 911, Miura, DB5, etc. are long gone.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:10 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

C-GT is truly one of the best ever, love them....I only have a few bucket-list cars, its one..
IMO, Porsche did a lot of really awesome 'enthusiast' stuff in the early 2000's
Old 12-06-2016, 12:20 AM
ansonintoronto
Racer

Absolutely agree with you. And after seeing one at Pfaff several months ago at the PCA meeting reinforced my belief that it was for the Porsche fanboys. Having said that, from the technical standpoint, no one will dispute the awesomeness that it possessed. However, the car is not for mere mortals to drive (aka. Paul Walker's accident)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:14 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Have you ever seen one in person? Photos don't do them justice. Same with the 918. And the Audi R8. Maybe the Veyron too - I've never seen that in person, but they don't do much for me in pics/video.

Bear in mind that modern car bodies are all designed as much by wind tunnel engineers as they are by artists, so the days of pure aesthetic beauty found in the likes of the Dino, e-type, classic 911, Miura, DB5, etc. are long gone.
I actually had the opportunity to see a Veyron in the flesh last summer with my son....its his favourite car in the world. To my eye, not a pretty car at all, in pics or in flesh. Spectacular build though. I would also agree that from a pure looks perspective the GT isnt my taste, and I personally never liked the SLR Mercs but we all have different taste, hense why they make cars look different for each of us I guess. We did a lot of car gazing last year at the Montreal GP, and to my taste, I prefer the simpler lines of a 997 TT, DB9, or F Type.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I like the CGT myself and its an amazing thing to drive...unbeleivable howl from the V10 when pushed. I never loved the SLR Benz..looked disproportioned with the overlong nose. I saw the original prototype which had a shorter nose and looked a lot more balanced. The Veyron did nothing for me visually, though I was surprised by its relatively small size. At that level ( much beyond me), the car I really liked was the Pagani Zonda...real steampunk interior, and apparently a wonderful car to drive. (Apart from driving the CGT never even sat in any of the rest,so this is just an observer's view)......
Old 12-06-2016, 09:00 AM
wc11
Race Car

We had one join us on our fall cruise and what a glorious car it is.
Here's a few pics from the day.
Even a booster seat for the kid! Tell me you've seen that before!
That V10 F1 type howl is indeed intoxicating.
Attached Images            
Old 12-06-2016, 10:37 AM
ansonintoronto
Racer

"Glorious", I think that an Enzo is better suited for that proclamation. I would even go so far as naming the older McLaren F1 or F40, F50, Lamborghini 5000LP, 959 glorious.....but the CGT, hardly.....
Old 12-06-2016, 01:41 PM
wc11
Race Car

Originally Posted by ansonintoronto
"Glorious", I think that an Enzo is better suited for that proclamation. I would even go so far as naming the older McLaren F1 or F40, F50, Lamborghini 5000LP, 959 glorious.....but the CGT, hardly.....
And there you have it. Opinions vary. I find the Enzo an incredibly ugly car.
Too many sharp lines and angles for a Ferrari.
Way to stealth like vs the classic swooping lines that is Ferrari.
My favorite for Ferrari is the 88' 288 GTO. That's classic beauty.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT