Notices

Blur your plate?

Old 10-19-2016, 05:52 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blur your plate?

Can somebody explain to me why people believe it is necessary to blur out your license plate when you post a picture of your car on the interwebs?

I am pretty sure people can see your license plate when you drive the car. If they see it, they can take a picture of it and post it online without bluring it out...

I dunno... just seems weird. People post pictures of their tattoos, almost naked selves, doing stupid things, post stupid opinions (both for and against Trump), but are worried about a license plate in a picture?
Old 10-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Donald Trump can use the plate to build a wall against Canada, it should be obligatory to blur it out.

I typically blur mine as the car is directly related to me and therefore could be used by "bad internet people" to find its/my location. Just being cautious. Someone randomly posting a picture is unrelated to me/location etc.

However I don't need to worry about other people seeing it as it's been broken for 4 weeks at least, so never leaves the garage.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Can somebody explain to me why people believe it is necessary to blur out your license plate when you post a picture of your car on the interwebs?

I am pretty sure people can see your license plate when you drive the car. If they see it, they can take a picture of it and post it online without bluring it out...

I dunno... just seems weird. People post pictures of their tattoos, almost naked selves, doing stupid things, post stupid opinions (both for and against Trump), but are worried about a license plate in a picture?
Anyone can use your plate and pay $20 to get a UVIP. Then they know your name and city. With a little digging next they know your address.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:54 AM
zak996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1^

People see it when you drive but why post identifiers that can lead to your home and nice car when you don't need to.That being said... other people have taken pics of my car and posted them without blurring the plates. That should be a forum rule IMHO... if you take pics of other peoples cars, take a minute and blur the plates. Sure its probably no big deal but seems like a good courtesy move.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:50 AM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yup. Just a privacy thing.
I blur out my plates.

I've taken a couple pics of cars for that Canadian spotted thread. Usually angle the pic to not see the full plate or I blur it out.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:49 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 232 Likes on 155 Posts

Your plate is seen by many people - some bad - every time you drive it. They can do whatever dastardly deeds someone who sees your plate on the internet can do. Blurring will eliminate internet viewers but the only way to remove this minimal risk of being sought out is to never drive your car. The best way to minimize this risk/fear is a good alarm system. Just sayin'.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:55 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Paranoia at work .You guys have watched "Gone in 60 seconds" too many times.
Way to much work for a thief to do the plate running thing.
They could just as easily creep internet sites and clubs to get info.
If they want your car, they'll get it. That's what insurance is for.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:04 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 285 Likes on 196 Posts

Paranoia or it makes people think that they are so important that lowlifes are coming after them.

Google anyone's user name you would be surprised what you can figure out.

Edit. We were typing at the same time wc11. Are you watching me?

Last edited by 911 Rod; 10-20-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:08 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Edit. We were typing at the same time wc11. Are you watching me?
I'll be at your house to collect your car shortly.
To minimize the damage, please leave the doors open and keys in the ignition.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Never blur my plate. There are innumerable ways to find out about you and I have not idea why they would be interested. I have no great secrets.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:37 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 285 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
I'll be at your house to collect your car shortly.
To minimize the damage, please leave the doors open and keys in the ignition.
They always are! (But you probably knew that)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:43 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Privacy hah. Ever googled your own name?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:39 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ronan
Never blur my plate. There are innumerable ways to find out about you and I have not idea why they would be interested. I have no great secrets.
Thanks Ronan. The good news is that when I see your cars on lakeshore/gardiner I know it's you because of the plates!!
Old 10-20-2016, 01:53 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Anyone can use your plate and pay $20 to get a UVIP. Then they know your name and city. With a little digging next they know your address.
I just don't understand how the internet is different from public roads?

Being intimately involved with privacy and security in depth many years ago, and working with it on a higher level now, I am not, by any logic or reason, naive to how quickly one can access and find out people's information.

One does not need a persons license plate to data mine a persons "private" information.

You are also assuming the address tied to my license plate is the same as the address where I spend the majority of my time and have my cars. Not always true! ;-)

Let me share this tip for the privacy concerned: Everytime you are asked to enter an e-mail address and personal information for a website that you don't frequent, or you are buying something from, use Gmail, HotMail, Yahoo, or whatever and create a username with the website coded in the username. (You people with your own domains and e-mail config can do this much faster... ;-) ) For example, if your name is Joe Gibbs, and you buy from Home Depot, create the Joe.HD.Gibbs@gmail.com address. Also do this with your first/last name when creating the account. Why? Because when you receive future junk mail, phone calls, or mail to your door, you can instantly identified who sold your data! What to do after you find out who sold your data is up to you...
Old 10-20-2016, 01:56 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Thanks Ronan. The good news is that when I see your cars on lakeshore/gardiner I know it's you because of the plates!!

Whenever I see Ronan go by, he is a blur. I think it maybe my eyes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blur your plate?