Notices

Insurance advice on the Ajusto app

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Totally against it. They can change the rules of the game any time, and as others have said there are definite issues on information security.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:34 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I am fully aware of the privacy and information concerns, my insurance agent from State Farm (who is a good friend that I trust) convinced me to try it out. I signed up mostly out of curiosity though. State Farm Canada was purchased by Desjardins earlier this year.

We only added the application to my wife's truck and her mobile phone. She is a very good driver and has a never had an accident. My agent convinced me that the government has legislated that the data cannot be used to increase rates and the savings could be significant.

It has been an interesting experience so far. Higher scores are better and she typically gets scores around 80-90 (out of 100) which reduces the insurance premium by about 20%. But that is in a GMC Acadia which is a big heavy vehicle.

The app automatically detects whenever she is moving in a car. So she usually has to indicate (correctly) that she isn't the driver whenever I am driving either vehicle. Especially in the Porsche.

My scores are typically much lower and I don't think I would qualify for any reduction. The app penalizes hard braking, acceleration, and corning. I do all of those things regularly but safely It also penalizes speeding.

The app does make people pay attention to their driving habits which I think is a positive thing. On average it may actually help to separate good drivers from poorer ones.

However there will also be cases of good drivers that get low scores because it isn't possible for a phone to really determine if someone is a good driver. I assume that would be the case for most of the people on this forum. It can't tell how far someone is looking up the road, how aware they are of their surroundings etc.

The funny thing is that my 10 year old son keeps asking to see how "low I can go". It may be having the reverse impact when I am driving the car. He also ask how low of a score could be obtained on a track day
Old 08-15-2016, 09:47 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

'The app penalizes hard braking, acceleration, and corning. I do all of those things regularly but safely It also penalizes speeding.'

Does it record the fact you made a right turn on a red light without coming to a full stop? What about the red light you ran in that intersection? After that you failed to yield the right of way entering a roadway and didn't signal your turn - none of that was recorded. Of course when you didn't wait for the pedestrian to fully cross the street it didn't record that either as you turned left and almost hit them. Using your phone to txt wasn't detected as well as the fact you had five beers either as drove home - it didn't record any of that either.

Wow, your a really bad driver BUT you didn't brake hard, speed or push too hard on the gas pedal so of course in some insurance star chamber world you are a great driver to be rewarded with a bit of kibble thrown your way.

Sarcasm mode off...

If people believe in personal freedom and really hate the stupid lies the insurance industry feed people, they would throw these devices out the window onto the lawn of Queens Park. There is no way Government can police the tech industry to protect your privacy. None.

Quick Reply: Insurance advice on the Ajusto app