Canadian Tire Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
2.0T? If so it's that plastic coolant fitting..
2.0 TDI and the flange is plastic but it breaks because leaking oil from the secondary fuel pump swells up the O ring of the coolant flange and cracks it.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
I find you can't really taste the difference between this and the VW stuff if you put it in mixed drinks. But straight, the VW has a stronger finish and a bit more sweetness. Also, I am blind now from drinking this stuff so I stopped reading the Rennlist forums.
You seem to have confused ethylene glycol (which is in engine coolant) with methanol (which is a fuel additive). Both are poisonous (actually their metabolites are poisonous) but ethylene glycol is sweet tasting and primarily causes renal failure. Methanol isn't sweet, is much more poisonous, and causes blindness.

It's best in any case to go air-cooled.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 46 Posts
Default CTC Description

I don't see any references to any Porsche qualifications on the labelling.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Donster
Pro

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
I don't see any references to any Porsche qualifications on the labelling.
???
Do you mean other than the part that says "recommended for use in Audi, VW, Porsche and other newer model foreign cars"?
Old 07-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 46 Posts

NO I mean in reference to a specific performance test or standard as opposed to a generic recommendation (a Porsche reference similar to meeting Volkswagon's standard VW TL 774F).

I was expecting to see something similar to a manufacturer specific test standard referenced similar to what you'd see on motor oil (i.e. meeting Porsche standard A40 or C30).
Old 07-22-2016, 05:26 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Alright so I used this coolant yesterday and already drove around 200 kms and everything's still intact & performs as it did before. I am happy that those who cant make 9-5 parts hours at the dealer at least there's an option at crappy tire to buy this OEM spec coolant in case of emergency.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
got to wonder wtf were they thinking.. I believe they make a aluminum one on ECS tuning
i'm not sure what they were thinking either , but they were obviously thinking the same thing for the cracked valve cover, whistling PCV , failing thermostat, and leaking oil filter housing.

at least they made the HPFP cam follower out of steel ... that should be solid right ? ... oh wait ..
Old 07-22-2016, 05:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Imo000
2.0 TDI and the flange is plastic but it breaks because leaking oil from the secondary fuel pump swells up the O ring of the coolant flange and cracks it.
on the 2.0 T its the oil leaking out of the vacuum pump that causes similar issues, but mine just outright disintegrated. I had nothing better to do on a Friday night in 35 C degree weather anyway ,..
Old 07-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr_fvr
Alright so I used this coolant yesterday and already drove around 200 kms and everything's still intact & performs as it did before. I am happy that those who cant make 9-5 parts hours at the dealer at least there's an option at crappy tire to buy this OEM spec coolant in case of emergency.
Well you can always call the parts counter and have them leave a jug of coolant or whatever you need at the reception desk for pick up after 5. Ask for a calendar as well!

Originally Posted by theiceman
i'm not sure what they were thinking either , but they were obviously thinking the same thing for the cracked valve cover, whistling PCV , failing thermostat, and leaking oil filter housing.

at least they made the HPFP cam follower out of steel ... that should be solid right ? ... oh wait ..
I love how the updated 2.0T had updates like a roller cam follower and self stretching timing chain/ tensioner
Old 07-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
on the 2.0 T its the oil leaking out of the vacuum pump that causes similar issues, but mine just outright disintegrated. I had nothing better to do on a Friday night in 35 C degree weather anyway ,..
At least on your engine it's not a few mm from the firewall that makes it a real PITA to replace. Should have done it and I replaced the automatic transmission with a manual. Oh well.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Imo000
At least on your engine it's not a few mm from the firewall that makes it a real PITA to replace. Should have done it and I replaced the automatic transmission with a manual. Oh well.
Umm yes it is ...
Old 07-25-2016, 12:25 AM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stuff made for specific varieties works just fine.

lol @ having a specific oem "spec" listed on the bottle.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by breakfast
the stuff made for specific varieties works just fine.

lol @ having a specific oem "spec" listed on the bottle.
it is very common for aftermarket products to state what OE spec they meet or exceed on the packaging. Go look at a bottle of brake fluid.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:53 AM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Donster
You seem to have confused ethylene glycol (which is in engine coolant) with methanol (which is a fuel additive). Both are poisonous (actually their metabolites are poisonous) but ethylene glycol is sweet tasting and primarily causes renal failure. Methanol isn't sweet, is much more poisonous, and causes blindness.

It's best in any case to go air-cooled.
Ya know... you are right!! I did confuse the two. I forget which one made me blind, and which one forced me to install aftermarket kidneys. The aftermarket kidneys are titanium so they are lighter, and the new design allows for more overall flow. I replaced my liver with a K&N, so if I drink too much I just pull it out and wash it.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Also, I am blind now from drinking this stuff so I stopped reading the Rennlist forums.
Text to voice technology works well then?

Quick Reply: Canadian Tire Coolant