Notices

Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge @ Toronto Indy 07-17

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:44 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge @ Toronto Indy 07-17

Got to the Indy and got some pics of the action.
Couple things of note:
- very nice new GTS on display
- the Cayman's were no match and sound so different (video to follow)
- a few 911/50's were a surprise
- love the sequential shifter (I want, I want, I want)
- post race inspection is interesting to watch
- if anyone wonders if we are all driving basically a street legal race car, the Pace Car is a plated street car with treaded tyres.
Attached Images                    

Last edited by wc11; 07-18-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:43 PM
wc11
Race Car

Getting ready to race.
Please forgive the initial shake as they were pushing us back.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:42 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, Will!
Old 07-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

didn't even notice you were there will!! lol got me in pictures and video lol
Old 07-19-2016, 05:33 PM
wc11
Race Car

Hi Zook!
Crap Didn't see you either
Old 07-20-2016, 10:29 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

- We had car 88 roll over in our corner on Friday. No photo acceptable sides left after that point... But he still drove back to the pits!!

- The two GT4's were a default blue flag after 10 mins into the race. Not a class that should have been added to this series. I smell desperation about this series I'm afraid. On their own the GT4's look good if they had their own series such as in PCA racing, but against the latest GT3's they look like lunch bag let down. They need a serious change in camber and looked particularly bad through 6-6A-6B complex of of what is a 180 degree round-about corner. The rear needs much more positive camber as the wheels were tucking under and both cars looked like they were ready to tank slap off into the tire walls on every lap. I don't know if its a limitation of chassis suspension design or a series rules on suspension settings.

- The Canadian IMSA series has bent over for the Yank's and mounted Yokohama's instead of last years French rubber and the grip level (lack of) really shows. Buy Pilots people...

- No one will catch the kid from BC - he's THAT good. Scott really needs a P2 ride or Indy Car ride.

- We don't know what happened on Sat's race but the program listed a 30 min race and the leader slowed and stopped at the 35 min point of a 45 min race. Much discussion of running out of fuel (team mistake?) took place. Didn't help that even after Sun's dominant win the team still didn't precisely say what Sat's car fault was...

- On the upside for Daniel Morad... this kid jump's into those boat like NASCAR Canada lead sled's and qualifies 2nd first time in the car! At one point he was in the lead ahead of Tag and Ranger - not exactly slow company. Could have had a 3rd place until a late yellow allowed the clown behind him to give him a chrome horn into 6th or 7th I believe. Quite a good performance considering he's jumping back and forth from a surgeons scalpel (GT3) to a jack hammer, (NASCAR).

- Even with the few cars and drivers in the Canadian series its apparent that they are heads and shoulders above the US counterparts in identical cars on identical tires. The race at the Glen in the combined series race proved that where they cleaned up on both races.

- It was nice to see the battered and bruised car 88 back on Sunday and Marco did quite well in a car that looked like it been a recovered stolen car from Brampton!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:09 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
- We had car 88 roll over in our corner on Friday. No photo acceptable sides left after that point... But he still drove back to the pits!!

- The two GT4's were a default blue flag after 10 mins into the race. Not a class that should have been added to this series. I smell desperation about this series I'm afraid. On their own the GT4's look good if they had their own series such as in PCA racing, but against the latest GT3's they look like lunch bag let down. They need a serious change in camber and looked particularly bad through 6-6A-6B complex of of what is a 180 degree round-about corner. The rear needs much more positive camber as the wheels were tucking under and both cars looked like they were ready to tank slap off into the tire walls on every lap. I don't know if its a limitation of chassis suspension design or a series rules on suspension settings.

- The Canadian IMSA series has bent over for the Yank's and mounted Yokohama's instead of last years French rubber and the grip level (lack of) really shows. Buy Pilots people...

- No one will catch the kid from BC - he's THAT good. Scott really needs a P2 ride or Indy Car ride.

- We don't know what happened on Sat's race but the program listed a 30 min race and the leader slowed and stopped at the 35 min point of a 45 min race. Much discussion of running out of fuel (team mistake?) took place. Didn't help that even after Sun's dominant win the team still didn't precisely say what Sat's car fault was...

- On the upside for Daniel Morad... this kid jump's into those boat like NASCAR Canada lead sled's and qualifies 2nd first time in the car! At one point he was in the lead ahead of Tag and Ranger - not exactly slow company. Could have had a 3rd place until a late yellow allowed the clown behind him to give him a chrome horn into 6th or 7th I believe. Quite a good performance considering he's jumping back and forth from a surgeons scalpel (GT3) to a jack hammer, (NASCAR).

- Even with the few cars and drivers in the Canadian series its apparent that they are heads and shoulders above the US counterparts in identical cars on identical tires. The race at the Glen in the combined series race proved that where they cleaned up on both races.

- It was nice to see the battered and bruised car 88 back on Sunday and Marco did quite well in a car that looked like it been a recovered stolen car from Brampton!
Excellent observations - couldn't agree more, especially about the GT4s being out of their element, ditto with the Yokohamas, Scott and Daniel as drivers and Canada v. U.S. head to head!
Old 07-20-2016, 07:15 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts
Thumbs up

"""- It was nice to see the battered and bruised car 88 back on Sunday and Marco did quite well in a car that looked like it been a recovered stolen car from Brampton![/QUOTE]"""

Last edited by GentlemanRacer; 07-20-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-20-2016, 10:27 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

My view for three days. See the tire mark coming towards us. That's where Mr.Tracy decided to visit us in the Stadium Truck series race... Took out part of our tire wall - moved the wall on top of com cables cutting us off until new cables were laid out.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2016, 03:47 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My view for three days. See the tire mark coming towards us. That's where Mr.Tracy decided to visit us in the Stadium Truck series race... Took out part of our tire wall - moved the wall on top of com cables cutting us off until new cables were laid out.
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Pferrf1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no way Porsche would intentionally limit the performance of the Caymans is there?

I remember comments coming from the drivers after Mosport were that the cars were mandated by Porsche to run under the existing specs as delivered which were designed for Euro tracks (read flat, smooth) and not for bumpy North American circuits. Too stiffly sprung. Porcsche 'reportedly' allowed no changes to the cars to accomodate. Maybe it was on the TSN broadcast?

Porsche wants the GT4 to be entry level as a stepping stone to the GT3 Cups. This might be part of it but making the cars even more challenging than need be for 'entry level' drivers seems puzzling.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

that is what I heard...they are too stiff for the rough surfaces we have and lose traction when bouncing.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

It's interesting because at the IMSA round at CTMP in the Conti Cup (totally different series and rules) the GT4's were in the same class as Boxster S's and there was no competition between them. The GT4's could pass a Boxster around the outside of corner 8 with ease which I put down to more downforce and a bit more power. The section I was in at the Indy that I could observe them was from 5 through 6B which isn't that bumpy. In fact the pavement from 6 to 6B is only three years old being replaced by the city around the time of the Lakeshore repave. So on a rather smooth surface they still looked to softly sprung which suggests to me that its a stock suspension and not an upgraded 'Motorsport Department' upgrade. What I found interesting was that it wasn't that the body was rolling over but that the wheels seem to be tucking under and creating a rear steer like reaction where half way around 6 you would see a wobble and then a steering correction by the driver. I wonder if air pressures aren't free to the team in that the series has min/max settings? Personally I think the car is under tire sized at the rear which may be because of chassis width limitations.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I race in club racing and i can tell you that gt4 cs is a crash fest.

2-3 cars are heavily crashed every race ive been in 2016.

2-3 drivers are faster than us in gtb1 cayman which is kind of bad for a 3.8 engine and bbk with abs and stuff. One of them is pro.

A gt4 should easily do a 1:24 at mosport
Old 07-23-2016, 02:51 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

we received update Suspension after the first race at Mosport in May. the car seemed much better to drive at Toronto. the lap times are very close to 997 Cup Car with a good driver. yes its entry level and half the price to run compare to 991 cup. its a great and easy platform to work with. I love it, very predictable to work on in terms on Fuel and Tires.

I spent about 5 hours with the 3 PMNA GT4 engineers at the James Hinchclife after party on Sunday evening
there are a few updates coming up but the major update was Suspension which was designed for European Flat tracks and the software upgrade that was performed at Honda Indy
they are looking for our feedback and some of thing I explained to them from my experience they were unaware of and would like to incorporate the changes based on feedback.
so they are working with the teams closely to improve the car as much as possible

Quick Reply: Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge @ Toronto Indy 07-17