North Eastern Arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default North Eastern Arms

Hey guys, a question for the gun nuts here

I`m relatively new to guns and am building up a collection slowly. I don't have a high powered rifle (just a Ruger 10/22 tactical conversion for using cheap 22LR ammo) and hadn't planned to get one for a while

But

I went into the local Wholesale Sports last night and got chatting with the guy at the gun counter. He had two really compact tactical style rifles in the cabinet above the handguns that caught my eye so I asked about them, he explains that they are North Eastern Arms or NEA-15 PDW`s, one in 5.56 and the other in 7.62

He goes on to say that he has the 7.62 version and loves it, explained how the inner parts are built for the 7.62 caliber from scratch where many others are converted from other calibers with negative effects, reckons its accurate up to 200 yards which is pretty impressive for such a short gun (its the shortest 7.5" variant) and being the 7.62 surplus ammo can be purchased reasonably in bulk

I have to say I like the look of it and he made it sound impressive but I have read some reviews and they were mixed (mostly regarding the quality) but I then notice that there is are "Gen 1" & "Gen 2" versions so I`m wondering if the later model has all the bugs ironed out

Anyone have any contact with one? Or does anyone know of any others I should look at along the same lines. I can't find anything similar in 7.62 (only 5.56 and its more than double the price)

This is the gun in question:

Old 05-28-2016, 05:28 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Try posting your question here. Many of those folk are very knowledgeable.
https://rennlist.com/forums/firearms...cessories-173/
Old 05-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

I had considered that Jim but didn't for two reasons:

1) NEA are built in Canada so I`m not even sure they are available in the states and so feedback may be limited

2) If they suggest any alternatives I may not be able to source it (being north of the border)

But, hey, what the heck - I`ll give it a whirl
Old 05-28-2016, 06:12 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 324 Posts

Have you tried Target Sports in Newmarket? That is the range I belong to and they have a pretty robust selection of AR-15 type rifles. And they are pretty knowledgeable as well.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:44 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by moab
Have you tried Target Sports in Newmarket? That is the range I belong to and they have a pretty robust selection of AR-15 type rifles. And they are pretty knowledgeable as well.
Have they an online store by chance?

I`m far from that area (BC)

Edit - seems they do (goes off to investigate)

Thanks Moab
Old 05-29-2016, 01:10 AM
The Radium King
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

canadaammo sells them as well ...

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/b...%5D=82&status=
Old 05-29-2016, 10:44 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was president of the gun club there for a few years ...Great facility . The owner JR also has a facility in Alberta called The shooting edge
Old 05-29-2016, 02:29 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 324 Posts

Now that would be a fun day. A little shooting and then a spirited cruise. I'd get off my *** for that. And I'd drink a coffee too. So it would be cars, coffee and guns.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 163 Posts

Now that would be a fun day. A little shooting and then a spirited cruise. I'd get off my *** for that. And I'd drink a coffee too. So it would be cars, coffee and guns.
I'll wait for you guys in the parking lot
Old 05-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
I was president of the gun club there for a few years ...Great facility . The owner JR also has a facility in Alberta called The shooting edge
I was in Calgary for a few months at the start of the year with work and thats the one range I didn't make it to - its ~6 hours or so drive for me now which makes it a little trickier

Looked like a quality place too
Old 05-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

For anyone thats interested I`ve done a little more digging on these guns and have found that there are two generations - the Gen 1 had some minor issues and from what I can tell NEA made it right

The Gen 2`s seem to be an evolution of the original but with the issues addressed. So with the potentially cheap bulk ammo I`m tempted for sure.....

Only downside is the bulk ammo is corrosive so LOTS of cleaning......
Old 06-01-2016, 01:59 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a member at Target Sports for about 4 years and also participated in IPSIC. After a few years started to notice a significant deterioration of the facilities at Target Sports...shell casings all over the place, 2-3 lanes out of commission for various reasons, etc. so decided to drop out. Not sure if they've improved the facilities in the last few years.

The place I generally source ammo & other items from is Ellwood Epps, but being in Ontario I guess that won't work for OP but give them a call if you like, they are very knowledgeable & helpful folks up there.

https://ellwoodepps.com/
Old 06-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
I was a member at Target Sports for about 4 years and also participated in IPSIC. After a few years started to notice a significant deterioration of the facilities at Target Sports...shell casings all over the place, 2-3 lanes out of commission for various reasons, etc. so decided to drop out. Not sure if they've improved the facilities in the last few years.

The place I generally source ammo & other items from is Ellwood Epps, but being in Ontario I guess that won't work for OP but give them a call if you like, they are very knowledgeable & helpful folks up there.

Thanks for the info - thats the most comprehensive gun selection I have ever seen in the website link!
Old 06-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would buy a 5.56 M4 clone before buying an NEA 7.62 x39. My brother has both an SKS (uses 7.62 x39) and an M4, so I've done lots of shooting with both. The M4 is vastly more accurate. I have a 7.62 x 54R but that's a different beast entirely.
Any military or ex-military caliber has tons of cheap and readily available ammo; that would include both 5.56 and 7.62 x 39. As noted, immediate and thorough cleaning is needed due to corrosive primers.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:00 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto

Everything is worse when I'm not president

Quick Reply: North Eastern Arms