Notices

Xpel Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 10:47 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Xpel Installation

My new car arrived at the dealer today. I was thinking of doing some protective film on it but I have never done this on any of my cars before.

1) Is it recommended?

2) I was quoted $1,100.00 for Xpel on the front bumper, mirrors and the complete hood. Is this competitive and is it a good product?

My last two Porsches had a few chips but not very noticeable. Mind you they were both traded with less than 10K kms. This car I am hoping to drive a little more.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:40 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I just had my entire car covered with Xpel ultimate. It has a 10 year warranty against cracking and yellowing. Do you like rock chips? I can't stand them. I don't think I can spend anymore time fixing them, I have spent alot. At the very least I would get the coverage you stated. The quality of the install is the important part. It can be installed so it's invisible. These high quality clear film installers are very skilled. Don't use just anyone to do the install.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:16 AM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

The installer is the one used by my dealer. They say he is one of the best. Any idea if the price is right?
Old 04-02-2016, 12:38 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

I am not in the GTA. Price is about right for Alberta. I wouldn't trust any installer I don't know. These guy's can use sharp blades right on your paint. It's not unheard of for paint to be cut.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:18 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Definitely recommend the wrap but as mentioned the installer is more important than the material used. Make sure you check references and ensure they are doing machine/laser cut patterns vs hand cutting with razor blades on the car. I got my entire front clip covered (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors) along the the A pillars and front section of the roof ahead of the sunroof. Recently added full rocker coverage including behind the rear wheels which I'd seriously recommend as well.

If you're in the GTA I can recommend a few quality installers... what dealership and who are they recommending?
Old 04-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

im not sure if you've had this type of product before, but while it is on the car, you will notice small lines where the film ends. They are minimal, and doing the whole hood should prevent the main line, but if you drive the car a total of less than 10k, I'd think you'd notice these lines more than any stone chips you'd get.

Plus, if you get a stone chip, just get the dr colour chip repair kit.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:20 AM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, the advice is appreciated.

By the way Vise, your car was the inspiration for my color choice. I was just tired of silver, grey and black cars, I thought this would be a nice change.

The dealer is Mark Motors in Ottawa. I do not know who the installer is.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:18 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
I got my entire front clip covered (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors) along the the A pillars and front section of the roof ahead of the sunroof. Recently added full rocker coverage including behind the rear wheels which I'd seriously recommend as well.
That's like 50% of the car covered. This stuff is a slippery slope. Once you cover the rear panels it's just the doors, wing, and bumper left. Your only half as bad as me in the OCD department. But, it looks like your getting there. LOL
Old 04-04-2016, 01:04 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
My new car arrived at the dealer today. I was thinking of doing some protective film on it but I have never done this on any of my cars before.

1) Is it recommended?

2) I was quoted $1,100.00 for Xpel on the front bumper, mirrors and the complete hood. Is this competitive and is it a good product?

My last two Porsches had a few chips but not very noticeable. Mind you they were both traded with less than 10K kms. This car I am hoping to drive a little more.
Definitely recommended if you prefer to keep your vehicle free from rock chips, swirl marks and more!

Thats actually a great price, typically a full front runs about 1895-2100 (that's with fenders though)

Originally Posted by petee1997
Thanks guys, the advice is appreciated.

By the way Vise, your car was the inspiration for my color choice. I was just tired of silver, grey and black cars, I thought this would be a nice change.

The dealer is Mark Motors in Ottawa. I do not know who the installer is.
We have many installers in the Ottawa area, If you want to see a list of the installers in the area click here: XPEL Ottawa

Quick Reply: Xpel Installation