Notices

OT: 30kph Unintended Consequence

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

I lived on a street with a cross walk at the local intersection for the school . The comment about soccer moms is right on the money . You would think it is kids speeding in these streets with disregard for others safety . But I have observed this NOT to be the case . The vast majority are the moms . " I have dropped my kid at school and now i'm late so im gonna blow right through this stop sign at 80 "
This is really where we need enforcement and a few licenses to be yanked.

I recently moved out from that street and i'm glad . I had already seen three pets get nailed and I didn't want to be there to see what comes next.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:58 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Totally agree. I live in Leslieville on a relatively tight/narrow street with cars parked down one side. I believe it is still a 40 zone (there are no signs)
correct me if I am wrong but if there are no signs isn't it a 50 km/h zone?
I have young kids as well, however 40 km/h is certainly slow enough if you are paying attention and have a safe car on dry streets. People doing 30 drive me crazy, but I won't pass in a residential area.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I lived on a street with a cross walk at the local intersection for the school . The comment about soccer moms is right on the money . You would think it is kids speeding in these streets with disregard for others safety . But I have observed this NOT to be the case . The vast majority are the moms . " I have dropped my kid at school and now i'm late so im gonna blow right through this stop sign at 80 "
This is really where we need enforcement and a few licenses to be yanked.

I recently moved out from that street and i'm glad . I had already seen three pets get nailed and I didn't want to be there to see what comes next.
I once was driving in 1st gear doing about 30kph and got blamed for "driving recklessly" by people sitting outside. Yet when I was getting yelled at a soccer mom driving a GL 550 blew through the stop sign after dropping the kids off at soccer... I pointed that out and they used the excuse "Oh she has things on her mind"

My neighbor is a cop who patrols the area. Maybe I should speak with him
Old 02-25-2016, 12:46 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

The enforcement requests go to the Police station and then, if they have the resources, will schedule it. You can ask you neighbour to do enforcement but that's not how this usually works. Police now days need to spread out their resources in a prioritised way.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
correct me if I am wrong but if there are no signs isn't it a 50 km/h zone?
I have young kids as well, however 40 km/h is certainly slow enough if you are paying attention and have a safe car on dry streets. People doing 30 drive me crazy, but I won't pass in a residential area.
Yeah good point, maybe there is a sign and I just don't see it having lived on the street for 10 years. In terms of speed limit, I do expect people to drive over the limit hence why a 30km/h limit on small residential side streets would be preferred. Hopefully some of those a-hole Beck cab drivers would think twice about whipping down my street at 65+ if the limit was 30.

Keep in mind there is no chance in passing on any of the streets around here as most are one way and about 1.5 cars wide.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:38 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

What the province needs to do is revise the penalties and fines for speeding as a percentage over the limit, the way it is in every country in Europe. Doing 150 km/h in a Porsche on an empty portion of the 407 is stunt driving, dut doing 79 km/h in a 30 near a school is just a ticket. Where is the logic in that? In Europe you lose your licence for doing double the speed limit, so on most highways with a 130 km/h limit that would be at 260 km/h while in school crossing zones with a 25 km/h posted limit you'd lose your licence for doing 50. It makes perfect sense.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:55 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live close to two really bad intersections:

1) Bathurst & Lakeshore
2) Bathurst & Queensquay

I have noticed parents with kids crossing against the light which teaches kids bad habits that they then put into practice when alone and unaware of the potential consequences.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:58 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's too many kids in the GTA anyway -- just sayin!!
Old 02-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Yeah good point, maybe there is a sign and I just don't see it having lived on the street for 10 years. In terms of speed limit, I do expect people to drive over the limit hence why a 30km/h limit on small residential side streets would be preferred. Hopefully some of those a-hole Beck cab drivers would think twice about whipping down my street at 65+ if the limit was 30.

Keep in mind there is no chance in passing on any of the streets around here as most are one way and about 1.5 cars wide.
What makes you think that 30km/h is the appropriate speed limit in your neighborhood? Why not go lower? Why not ban car period, this way the chance of a fatal collision becomes 0%.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:11 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
What makes you think that 30km/h is the appropriate speed limit in your neighborhood? Why not go lower? Why not ban car period, this way the chance of a fatal collision becomes 0%.
Same sort of reason any law is appropriate.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:13 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Apparently if you did this they will then drive on the sidewalk.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:25 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Apparently if you did this they will then drive on the sidewalk.
Only if they have a Cayenne SUV.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:38 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldstar
It's so unfortunate that we are in an era of incompetent citizenship. I seriously wonder how they allow them to breed. .
Corrected
Old 02-25-2016, 04:41 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

If speed limit enforcement was truly about saving lives, they would be setup EVERY day in school zones and residential areas....but where do they setup?
Old 02-26-2016, 03:35 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
There's too many kids in the GTA anyway -- just sayin!!
I have 3 kids in the GTA... I am guilty... sorry...

Uhhh... I hate those yellow "Drive Slow" signs all over my neighborhood. I don't let my kids play on the street because that's what parks and backyards are for... I don't understand why parents allow their unsupervised kids to play on the street in Leslieville. It's stupid.

I want a front yard sign saying: "Drive the speed limit, my kids play in the backyard".

Quick Reply: OT: 30kph Unintended Consequence