Notices

OT: 30kph Unintended Consequence

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 06:52 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts
Default OT: 30kph Unintended Consequence

This is crazy, Have any of you observed this? Now that we have 30kph signs in most residential areas, a few are obeying them and doing 30, but a bunch are passing on narrow, kiddy clogged side streets. Bet this immediately implemented, untested speed limit reduction results in more fatalities.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
This is crazy, Have any of you observed this? Now that we have 30kph signs in most residential areas, a few are obeying them and doing 30, but a bunch are passing on narrow, kiddy clogged side streets. Bet this immediately implemented, untested speed limit reduction results in more fatalities.

Of course it will as idiots implement idiotic restrictions!! Everything from the "but what about the children" crowd should be ignored on the face of it!! This is why you never asked your Mum for permission to do anything you knew would have an element of danger to it!!
Old 02-24-2016, 07:43 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Anytime soon we'll be needing people waving red flags walking in front of us.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This was implemented because of the 7 year old (daughter of mpp) who was killed at an intersection in east york . They have been lobbying intensively for lower speed limits in residential areas. The fatality was at an intersection; not along a street. I would have NEVER let my kids at age 7 walk home alone across intersections. Instead of punishing everyone with unrealistic speed limits to alleviate their own guilt maybe they should educate parents that a 6 block walk through major intersections isn't the best option for a 7 year old. That's not to say it wasn't the vans fault but a 7 year old really isn't fully aware of their surroundings. I don't think lower speed limits cures parental stupidity.........and I see lots of stupid parents. Licence needed to drive. No license needed to be a parent.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

Incorrect speed limits are definitely a problem, but in general, it seems like they're too low.

http://jalopnik.com/someone-finally-...ise-1601088776

30 kph is ridiculous...
Old 02-24-2016, 08:58 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
This was implemented because of the 7 year old (daughter of mpp) who was killed at an intersection in east york . They have been lobbying intensively for lower speed limits in residential areas. The fatality was at an intersection; not along a street. I would have NEVER let my kids at age 7 walk home alone across intersections. Instead of punishing everyone with unrealistic speed limits to alleviate their own guilt maybe they should educate parents that a 6 block walk through major intersections isn't the best option for a 7 year old. That's not to say it wasn't the vans fault but a 7 year old really isn't fully aware of their surroundings. I don't think lower speed limits cures parental stupidity.........and I see lots of stupid parents. Licence needed to drive. No license needed to be a parent.
Agree with this. My younger son is 7 and it would be negligent of me to let him cross an intersection himself.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:07 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

I live four doors from an uncontrolled intersection (that we have been calling the City for two years to get a stop sign for) where a total of six buses stop to let kids on and off and the number of 'passes' of these buses with lights and bar out is now out of control. I've already taken down four plate #'s and have called them into PRP and have yet to hear back from them so I assume there was no summons or I'd be called to give a statement. Absolutely bu*sh*t! If I did a demographic of these idiots it wouldn't be very PC of me but I call it as I see it, (or them). For some bizarre reason they seem to think that a line of cars stopped on a residential street in front of a yellow bus with lights flashing are all parked??? I see this every day now while walking the dog. I feel like carrying a couple of bricks with me and hauling off and nailing a door or quarter panel when they almost run down kids. Of course I would be the one to be arrested. 30KPH? Metric for 50KPH in Karachi...
Old 02-24-2016, 10:09 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I may be the exception here, not sure if my residential side street is with 40 or 50 posted limit, but I find myself doing 30 once I'm on it.

Call the parents stupid or negligent or the child shouldn't be out there dashing out from behind parked cars etc., I am just not sure how I would deal with injuring or killing a child (or even a pet) while going at the 50 or 40, when I know I could likely avoid it going at 30.

To each their own.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:52 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

There should be A LOT more education in schools for students to learn how to be a pedestrian. There is nothing wrong with a 7 year old walking to school if they know what they are doing. Instead people blame everyone but the kid when they causes a collision. So instead of teaching the kids we blame the divers. Everyone with a driver's licence thinks they are a traffic expert (it's human nature), prime example is demanding unwarrnated stop signs because they think that is the proper treatment to a problem they think they know the answer to. How about let the traffic enginners or those that do this for a living let them do their jobs and when they tell you a stop sign is not the answer, beleive in them? Unwarranted stop signs increase the speeds between these intersections bu most people don't realise this so they keep demanding them.....and they get their politicians to have them installed. Then when these bigger problems pop up, all of a sudden it's the "City's" fault.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:00 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

I live in a new project in front of a park with a 50kph zone. Most soccer moms blast down the road going 80+, I've actually been to a few council meetings asking for either another stop sign or 2 reasonable speed humps only to be told "sorry there isn't much we can do"

I know recently in Montreal they lowered the limit to 30kph for safety.. The running gag is that they did it because because the roads are in such a terrible state that going any faster would cause suspension failure.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:09 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
^ This.

And, IIRC in the Leaside incident it wasn't the minivan driver's fault. The girl crossed just past the intersection, on a red. Parent(s) was/were walking ~10 meters behind.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It appears that so many new initiatives, laws and proposals by various governing bodies seem to be against all logic and are detrimental to the people they affect most. A majority of the reasoning is veiled behind the truth for selling it to the public In a fictional PR package. It's so unfortunate that we are in an era of incompetent Provincial and Federal governance. I still don't understand how either got elected.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:33 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
I live in a new project in front of a park with a 50kph zone. Most soccer moms blast down the road going 80+, I've actually been to a few council meetings asking for either another stop sign or 2 reasonable speed humps only to be told "sorry there isn't much we can do"

I know recently in Montreal they lowered the limit to 30kph for safety.. The running gag is that they did it because because the roads are in such a terrible state that going any faster would cause suspension failure.
Instead of asking for stop signs and speed bumps, why not ask for a speed study? That will show if there is a problem and how big it is. Just becuase a selected few decide to speed, it is no reason to install unwarranted products. Those that speed on purpose will keep speeding regardless what you install. Enforcement is the only option in those cases and for that, the Police is the ONLY authority that can do this. So go and complain directly to them. They might schedule some enforcement if they have the resources.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:51 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

They really want it set at 50 but people will all do 60 or more in it, which is why it is set at 40. So setting it at 30 then think that people will do 40-50 in it.

I would rather them put in a 50 speed limit and then control it with speed cameras, spaced out on every intersection. With the speed limit calculated by the avg speed in between each camera and also by individual cameras.

If you want to enforce something, enforce it don't ***** foot around with BS.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:53 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
I may be the exception here, not sure if my residential side street is with 40 or 50 posted limit, but I find myself doing 30 once I'm on it.

Call the parents stupid or negligent or the child shouldn't be out there dashing out from behind parked cars etc., I am just not sure how I would deal with injuring or killing a child (or even a pet) while going at the 50 or 40, when I know I could likely avoid it going at 30.

To each their own.
Totally agree. I live in Leslieville on a relatively tight/narrow street with cars parked down one side. I believe it is still a 40 zone (there are no signs) but there are all kinds of cars especially cabs that come bombing down at 50 or more. When I'm sitting on my front steps the car is noticeably fast for the area/street size and usually freaks out my daughter who is skipping on the sidewalk. Just seems unnecessary.

I'm all for unlimited speeds on major highways trust me... but depending on the street (particularly in the city) I have no problems with 30-35 on residential side streets.

Quick Reply: OT: 30kph Unintended Consequence