Notices

2015 Auto show.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 02:06 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally a picture of the best car there. the f1 gtr

the 991.2 updates dont do much for me. I think I like the .1 better, though overall the 991 gen doesnt really do it for me.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:07 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
Porsche display was pretty good for CIAS, IIRC not that long ago they didn't even show up, Pfaff would bring a car or two.
I found the Porsche display a little uninspired... No real passion behind it... It felt like they handed it to a marketing company/team and really didn't give a poop about the show... A fake LeMans car and everything else you could see at a dealer. In fact, DFC has better cars in their current showroom. Did they even have a GT4 at the CIAS?! I don't remember.

Opposite opinion of BMW vs MB/Audi, not a fan of new Benz styling at all, particularly C-pillar and back...I think BMW is getting back on stride...really like the new 7.....regardless of brand choice, I'm sure they will all be ownership nightmares out of warranty
After MANY years of owning and enjoying You're-a-pee'n cars, I don't understand why people still think they are nightmares for cost and maintenance... The guys in my office who drive the Honda, Toyota, Lexus, and Schwinn products all have stories of large and expensive failures in nd out of warranty. But they are okay driving beige cars in colour and spirit, so its hard to talk to them about cars in general.

I like some of the new Benz'z'z'zz. A C450 4-matic wagon would be a cool car... The new C and E class styling needs time to grow into the market, that I can agree with. The styling is missing something, but all the other parts are there...
Old 02-22-2016, 02:50 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 351 Posts

It was, but better than nothing...even at Detroit they don't do much. Let the cars do the talking I guess. GT4 Clubsport was there...whatcha mean fake Le Mans car? 919?

I agree that Euro cars are more or less equally reliable...and they generally have better rust control
My point was aimed at the volume of tech the cars have, more parts=greater likelihood of repairs...a general issue in all modern cars.

Originally Posted by PPo
I found the Porsche display a little uninspired... No real passion behind it... It felt like they handed it to a marketing company/team and really didn't give a poop about the show... A fake LeMans car and everything else you could see at a dealer. In fact, DFC has better cars in their current showroom. Did they even have a GT4 at the CIAS?! I don't remember.

After MANY years of owning and enjoying You're-a-pee'n cars, I don't understand why people still think they are nightmares for cost and maintenance... The guys in my office who drive the Honda, Toyota, Lexus, and Schwinn products all have stories of large and expensive failures in nd out of warranty. But they are okay driving beige cars in colour and spirit, so its hard to talk to them about cars in general.

I like some of the new Benz'z'z'zz. A C450 4-matic wagon would be a cool car... The new C and E class styling needs time to grow into the market, that I can agree with. The styling is missing something, but all the other parts are there...
Old 02-22-2016, 03:10 PM
PPo
Drifting

GT4 Clubsport was there...whatcha mean fake Le Mans car? 919?
Right! I forgot about the GT4 Clubsport... I was probably just grumpy by the time I made it to the Porsche area, and they didn't welcome me with fanfare, coffee, water, and a foot rub.

The 919 bodywork, wheels, and brakes where in the booth... but do they really drive with windows that black?!? The windows looked like they where stickers, and typically displays like that are not the real race car. Just a mock up of body parts, tires, and brakes.

Perhaps I should retract on the aggressiveness of my previous comments... but they are there... tis cool...
Old 02-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Right! I forgot about the GT4 Clubsport... I was probably just grumpy by the time I made it to the Porsche area, and they didn't welcome me with fanfare, coffee, water, and a foot rub.

The 919 bodywork, wheels, and brakes where in the booth... but do they really drive with windows that black?!? The windows looked like they where stickers, and typically displays like that are not the real race car. Just a mock up of body parts, tires, and brakes.

Perhaps I should retract on the aggressiveness of my previous comments... but they are there... tis cool...
I was grumpy as well that two premium brands didn't have anything to welcome us... For shame, a true first world problem
Old 02-22-2016, 03:49 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

The blacked out window treatment was the same at the Audi display for their Le Mans car.
This is probably standard fare for car show touring cars.
It was as you say probably one of the mock ups or developmental cars. Same at Honda with their Indy car and Last years F1 car at Nissan. Rolling chassis'. It's probably at the Porsche museum.
What's the point of the real car though if yo can't get near enough to them anyway.

The Club Sport though is awesome and Pfaff did have a display downstairs.
Am I the only one who saw Lawrence there?
Old 02-22-2016, 04:15 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by wc11
What's the point of the real car though if yo can't get near enough to them anyway.
There is something to be said about actually having the drive train, transmission, and dirt from a LeMans chassis in front of you, and something that looks like it. I understand what you are saying... but seeing Katy Perry as a wax figure, and seeing her in person is two different things...

For similar reasons, I think next year I am going to stalk Katy Perry... doh!!... I mean next year I am going to organize a party bus to the Detroit Auto Show instead...
Old 02-22-2016, 09:59 PM
Banned

F@ck car shows. Boring
Old 02-23-2016, 02:55 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965356
F@ck car shows. Boring
You obviously missed the 4X4 Sprinter van! ;-)
Old 02-23-2016, 05:32 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Boring- I agree.
But really? I still went.
Walked around like a zombie.
All the nice cars were locked.
Had a friends AUDI key, got into their underwhelming lounge for a cappuccino.
Looked out over the sea of lemmings, from my cliff side view.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:16 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Boring- I agree.
But really? I still went.
Walked around like a zombie.
All the nice cars were locked.
Had a friends AUDI key, got into their underwhelming lounge for a cappuccino.
Looked out over the sea of lemmings, from my cliff side view.
I had a great time..went three times in fact. Once for the media day, then took 8 of my staff to discuss the interplay between automotive and other sectors that we cover on our platforms, then took my 5 year old who had a blast.

He only enjoys the cars he can fool around in as well so the vans were a big hit! He was bummed the G-Class was locked though...

You guys need to lighten up ;-)
Old 02-23-2016, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LastMezger
I had a great time..went three times in fact. Once for the media day, then took 8 of my staff to discuss the interplay between automotive and other sectors that we cover on our platforms, then took my 5 year old who had a blast. He only enjoys the cars he can fool around in as well so the vans were a big hit! He was bummed the G-Class was locked though... You guys need to lighten up ;-)
You need more hobbies! Boom goes the dynamite!!!!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:42 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm in a related industry.
That's why I go.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:00 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm in a related industry too, that's why I avoided it everyday is the Autoshow.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:22 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by LastMezger
You guys need to lighten up ;-)
I visit dealers often just out of interest, and have not been the CIAS in years since I can see the same cars at the dealers without the crowds.

Also, I am approaching middle age, and I am already becoming a snobby, arrogant, ***** that gets frustrated at all the mouth breathers wearing sideways OBEY hats with manicured facial hair who couldn't change a tire or point out the difference between a camshaft and a camel *****.

Probably not going next year unless I go on a Tuesday night... after some cognac.

P

Quick Reply: 2015 Auto show.