Question: How To Buy A Car In Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 02:11 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Question: How To Buy A Car In Ontario

Hi folks,

I recently sold my 996 and will be moving to Toronto for a career opportunity.

Selling the 996 was a very difficult decision and I struggled with the idea of shipping it over to Toronto. I will need a new car in Toronto to commute between various offices in the GTA, so a lot of commuting is required.

I understand in Ontario there is a formal process that is required to purchase a vehicle (new / used) but I am not entirely familiar with it. Here in BC, you check the car out, do your due diligence, and go to any insurance broker to sign the car over and get insurance, and you're done. No safety inspections and exhaust tests required.

Could any of you Ontario folks offer some advice on this? And is the process buying a car from a dealer or private party any different? Thank you!

Mike
Old 02-12-2016, 02:14 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

2 basic routes depending if the seller has gotten a safety and etest for the car or not. Dealer is easier since all the processing can be done for you there. When you go to the MTO for licensing, you will need a UVIP(seller's package, which you can also buy at that time if seller didn't give), proof of insurance(or at least policy number and company name), signed ownership, your driver's license. Receipt is also handy.

1:Buy car, get insurance on it, get temporary plates from MTO(you pay taxes + plates +temp.sticker) , get etest and safety checks done. Return to MTO and get fully licensed.
2: Buy car(with etest and safety already performed), insurance, MTO for plates/licensing. Done.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:37 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

I would try and get the transaction done before July 1 based on the changing rules of certification for used cars. Likely it will be a PITA and costly for private sellers selling certified and e-tested as most buyers want OR higher prices at used car lots as the certification process will be costlier to the used car dealer thus requiring him to recoup the cost on the sale. It will be interesting to see how the used car industry reacts as its been 42 years since the process has received updates / revisions.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:42 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

What does it cost for a safety and e-Test? Are prices fixed or do they vary?

I noticed private sellers often will not include both. Very few do but overall, a mixed bag.

The only Porsche I will consider at this point is a Cayenne S and there seems to be a dime a dozen of them out there. I won't get into a 911 until my housing situation is sorted out.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Pags993
Drifting

E test is $30.00 to run the test, Safeties run anywhere from $75 to $100 depending on the size of the shop performing the inspection.

I really like the idea of these guys to do both, no mechanical repair side of the business so less likely to use the certification as method to drive mechanical work $$.

http://on.dekra-na.com/emission-and-...ons-in-ontario

Good luck with your search, I just purchased a used GTS and know of an S from an enthusiast who is selling fully certified and e-tested. I can PM you the contact info if you like.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:18 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the information, guys!

For the safety inspection: I understand it is a thorough inspection of the vehicle's safety and operational readiness, correct? Is it not out of line for the buyer and seller to agree to terms when and where a vehicle fails the safety, you can either walk away or agree on a purchase price?
Old 02-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

The safety mostly checks things like tires, brakes (pads and rotors), fluid leaks, all things operational (headlights, signals, brake lights, windshield/rear defrost) and stuff like that. The cost of the test itself is, as stated, $75-100, but that doesn't include repairs to anything that didn't pass. That of course is entirely dependant on the vehicle. Chances are the car will pass e-test. It's quite rare for a modern car to fail, assuming all the emissions equipment is operational.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:05 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

The majority of the Porsche hardware in toronto seems to flow through the OEM dealerships. Lots of lease returns. There are some private and weird other sources.
What year? And what are you prepared to spend. You could most likely do all this over the phone with a Pfaff, oakville Porsche, or Downtown fine cars - if your going dealership route.
It's like a Porsche cartel here.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Pags993
Drifting

^ Markups on dealer used are just ridiculous, if you are willing to put in the work and spend the time there are some good private deals to be had once you wade through all "I am retired and live in Finland and the car is in Halifax" bull.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:27 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have brought that beautiful blue 996 with you!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

really no safety inspection? I find that hard to believe. Also safety runs from $75 to $200 here. It is hard to find good used cars here now as most are going to the US because of the currency. What is your budget for a Cayenne?
Old 02-12-2016, 07:26 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
^ Markups on dealer used are just ridiculous, if you are willing to put in the work and spend the time there are some good private deals to be had once you wade through all "I am retired and live in Finland and the car is in Halifax" bull.
Please send payment to

Harold McGee
15 Ayinkee St
Lagos, Nigeria
Old 02-12-2016, 09:44 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
You should have brought that beautiful blue 996 with you!!!
This was an extremely difficult decision - I spent so many years working hard and it was well worth it as it was a childhood dream of mine.

But to bring it with me to Toronto to see it melt away in the real Canadian winters would have pained me. I'm happy the car went to a lovely couple to take care of her. It was important for me to keep the car within the Porsche enthusiast community.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
really no safety inspection? I find that hard to believe. Also safety runs from $75 to $200 here. It is hard to find good used cars here now as most are going to the US because of the currency. What is your budget for a Cayenne?
I need to budget for the move including getting settled in (furniture etc.) So I'm putting aside $20K or so. I see a few 04's going for $15K or so. I'd be happy to boot around in one for a year or two before moving back into a 996 or 997. The alternative is to get a Toyota Corolla/Matrix, VW Rabbit or Lexus IS/ES.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:01 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best of luck with your move. You will enjoy Toronto.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:18 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

my parents are considering selling their '06 Cayenne, nicely loaded V6(the durable engine) with all the common parts just replaced...If you're interested send a PM
Cheers,

Quick Reply: Question: How To Buy A Car In Ontario