Notices

Anyone know this 2006 Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Anyone know this 2006 Cayman S?

Hi, Anyone know the previous owner of this cayman S? Previously owned by PCA member attended DE regularly and serviced at GTEK.

http://www.segalmotorcar.com/certifi...3e182a9928.htm

Let me know if you now anything about this car.

Thanks,
Old 01-02-2016, 10:52 AM
danio
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know anything about that car other than it's been for sale for a very long time. I've noticed all the 987.1 Cayman S under $35,000 are fairly crap when I was shopping for mine.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:22 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't know that car but I will say I've noticed that prices for 987.1CS are all over the place. As the owner of one myself I would think that for a clean car with no problems the low thirties is about right. I bought my 2008 CPO from Pfaff 3 years ago in the mid forties and boy did that CPO pay off! The car had about 78,000 kms when I bought her and has about 155,000 kms now. The CPO ended up getting me brand new engine, suspension components, and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't even remember off the top of my head. Car has basically new everything except body and transmission. CPO expired about a year ago. Since then: Did a new clutch a few months ago, routine stuff like brakes pads (did new front rotors last year), and some other things.

The point I want to make is, even on a well-maintained car (I know the previous owner of my car who leased it from new; and the car was always serviced by the good folks at Pfaff) stuff happens. When buying one of these cars definitely have the car checked-out by a Porsche mechanic and make sure there are good records. The CPO and great service from Pfaff saved me a lot of money! And boy do I love my car.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:40 PM
danio
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by palmpalm
I don't know that car but I will say I've noticed that prices for 987.1CS are all over the place. As the owner of one myself I would think that for a clean car with no problems the low thirties is about right. I bought my 2008 CPO from Pfaff 3 years ago in the mid forties and boy did that CPO pay off! The car had about 78,000 kms when I bought her and has about 155,000 kms now. The CPO ended up getting me brand new engine, suspension components, and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't even remember off the top of my head. Car has basically new everything except body and transmission. CPO expired about a year ago. Since then: Did a new clutch a few months ago, routine stuff like brakes pads (did new front rotors last year), and some other things.

The point I want to make is, even on a well-maintained car (I know the previous owner of my car who leased it from new; and the car was always serviced by the good folks at Pfaff) stuff happens. When buying one of these cars definitely have the car checked-out by a Porsche mechanic and make sure there are good records. The CPO and great service from Pfaff saved me a lot of money! And boy do I love my car.
I have an 08 Cayman S CPO from Pfaff as well, but have not taken advantage of any warranty claims other than my TPMS sensor batteries dying. Car has been fairly solid since I bought it and still has CPO warranty until November 2016.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

I plan to do a PPI on the car before committing, would a compression or leak down test be recommended?

Anything to watch out for in an 06 Cayman S vs a newer 987.1?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:20 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Neb
I plan to do a PPI on the car before committing, would a compression or leak down test be recommended?

Anything to watch out for in an 06 Cayman S vs a newer 987.1?
I don't think there is anything to watch out for compared to other 987.1 years but I would have them scope the engine cylinders and scan for overrevs.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Kelvin38
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My former 987.1 was very reliable, I only had to replace the consumables. Some items to look out for would be the overall interior condition especially with the soft rouch rubber material, the ignition switch, and a thorough PPI for bore scoring if driven in cold climate.

Quick Reply: Anyone know this 2006 Cayman S?