Notices

Chump Car Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 06:05 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
BTW, I did speak at length with a Chumpster earlier this year @ Mid-Ohio, and he said that he sees this series going the way of SM as far as $$$$ being spent to be successful.
I agree if they don't start policing the rules. The rules are made to hopefully avoid this from happening. But I would rather split it 4 ways any day.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just showing this out, the Rennlisters on the 944 board have came together to do several events, no reason you guys can't put together a Rennlist Canada team.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:25 PM
samajam
Instructor

We have 4 drivers, basic car cost is less than $10k including cage, seat,belts & some durability mods.

Typical 2@7 hrs weekends cost $800 not including transport & accommodation We use 6 tires and 300+ litres of fuel. 4 events per year, two sets of brake pads & one set of discs, clutch every couple of years. General maintenance and improvements tends to run $3k per year. The golf we ran before was less.

We are a mid pack runner and that is likely due to some less than talented drivers, me included and a short stint strategy. We run 1hr where most teams max out the 2 hrs allowed. So we throw in an additional 3 stops over the course of the race.

We ran as low as 1:40.2 and averaged around 1:46-47 per hot lap over the entire course of the 16 hour race. Not too bad for a 90's car with 250,000 kms on the original engine.

Again, good fun if you enjoy endurance racing.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:14 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Just showing this out, the Rennlisters on the 944 board have came together to do several events, no reason you guys can't put together a Rennlist Canada team.
All members of the team we have formed are from Rennlist Canada... At this time we are keeping Rennlist separate from the initiative, just to simplify the foundational tasks... You never know what we will end up doing in the future.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:15 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by samajam
We have 4 drivers, basic car cost is less than $10k including cage, seat,belts & some durability mods.

Typical 2@7 hrs weekends cost $800 not including transport & accommodation We use 6 tires and 300+ litres of fuel. 4 events per year, two sets of brake pads & one set of discs, clutch every couple of years. General maintenance and improvements tends to run $3k per year. The golf we ran before was less.

We are a mid pack runner and that is likely due to some less than talented drivers, me included and a short stint strategy. We run 1hr where most teams max out the 2 hrs allowed. So we throw in an additional 3 stops over the course of the race.

We ran as low as 1:40.2 and averaged around 1:46-47 per hot lap over the entire course of the 16 hour race. Not too bad for a 90's car with 250,000 kms on the original engine.

Again, good fun if you enjoy endurance racing.
What car where you running??
Old 10-15-2015, 02:24 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Samajam - thanks for the insight. I am one of PPo's team members. What car were you guys running?

Veni, vidi but yet to even compete, let alone vici.

Last edited by 928gt; 10-15-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:15 PM
samajam
Instructor

Originally Posted by 928gt
Samajam - thanks for the insight. I am one of PPo's team members. What car were you guys running?

Veni, vidi but yet to even compete, let alone vici.
We were running #11, silver 4 dr 328 with Gulf stickers.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Any pictures from this event?

Under $10K in that BMW?!? I thought this was supposed to be a dirt cheap racing league.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:26 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

PPo took a few and we got a couple from the team we were visiting, but I'll leave it up to him to decide if/what he wants to post. Not that any of it is proprietary or anything - it's just that they're not my pics.

Yes, a $10K car is essentially considered a $500 "Chump Change" clunker. The value is based on the average price of the used vehicle parts - and the cars are completely stripped out down to the bare metal (not even glass is allowed except for the front windshield). And, the price valuation doesn't include any safety equipment like the mandatory race seat, full roll cage, fire extingusher / suppression system and other safety gear or optional non-performance-adding items like radio, telemetry equipment, etc. These items alone easily add up to well over $5K excluding any labour. By the time you add three sets of rims and tires and a few "trick" bits like camber plates and solid suspension bushings for example, you're easily looking at $10K. Mind you - once you have the car with the safery gear, then it is relatively cheap to run as you're only looking at basic drivetrain maintenance, wear and tear items and two dozen rolls of duct tape.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:35 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Well I guess my '05 Accent is going to be a demo derby car then.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:48 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Imo000
Well I guess my '05 Accent is going to be a demo derby car then.
No - an '04 Accent is valued at $275 ($200 if you have an automatic) so it's probably a great car to race as it gives you lots of room for suspension upgrades. IIRC the overall winner of the last event was a PT Cruiser - stripped out to the max with no sheet metal whatsoever behind the driver's seat.

I heard of a US team racing a 928, but apparently they're not too competitive as even the simplest issue - like a loose spark plug connector for example - takes seventeen hours to diagnose and requires 112 different parts to repair, which you probably know from personal experience.

... ... ...

P.S. There was a team at the last Chump Car event with a V12 Jag XJS. I think they mananged to turn a total of 26 laps before calling it quits, and it wasn't for lack of tryign to get the damn thing running. A close second worst was a Triumph TR7 (or maybe the other way around). No one was driving a BMW 850, but if they had been, that's three cars right there that would be worse than a 928.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

It IS an automatic and I paid exactly $200 for it. Got it too late for this year's derby season so maybe I'll reconsider this since I have an entire year to wait.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PPo
All members of the team we have formed are from Rennlist Canada... At this time we are keeping Rennlist separate from the initiative, just to simplify the foundational tasks... You never know what we will end up doing in the future.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:13 AM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
Any pictures from this event?

Under $10K in that BMW?!? I thought this was supposed to be a dirt cheap racing league.
The pictures I took where more for research purposes... seriously, just pit equipment etc.

This *IS* a dirt cheap racing league when you compare it to other types of racing. The problem is, nothing in racing is cheap if you want to be very safe, drive on pro-tracks, and fast speeds. You need a $2000-$5000 roll cage (if you can't build it yourself), harness, seats, driver gear, a good helmet, comm equipment, pit equipment, and the list goes on and on. Where Chump has the rules right IMHO, is the running endurance races for lower powered cars, restricting advantages by pro-equipment for fueling, having a low wear tire rating, and capping upgrades to stock or nearly stock brakes, motor etc. It keeps the cost of being competitive low. The 924S team for example uses 6-8 dry tires the entire season (not 6-8+ sets!!), and only one set of brakes for a year (not one set every 2 weekends!). It is cheap(er) car racing...
Old 10-20-2015, 10:11 AM
samajam
Instructor

Originally Posted by PPo
The pictures I took where more for research purposes... seriously, just pit equipment etc.

This *IS* a dirt cheap racing league when you compare it to other types of racing. The problem is, nothing in racing is cheap if you want to be very safe, drive on pro-tracks, and fast speeds. You need a $2000-$5000 roll cage (if you can't build it yourself), harness, seats, driver gear, a good helmet, comm equipment, pit equipment, and the list goes on and on. Where Chump has the rules right IMHO, is the running endurance races for lower powered cars, restricting advantages by pro-equipment for fueling, having a low wear tire rating, and capping upgrades to stock or nearly stock brakes, motor etc. It keeps the cost of being competitive low. The 924S team for example uses 6-8 dry tires the entire season (not 6-8+ sets!!), and only one set of brakes for a year (not one set every 2 weekends!). It is cheap(er) car racing...

I agree with the above for us mid pack runners(we use 6 tires for the average 2@7 hr weekend). We are there to have a good time, race door to door and be in the mix. the front runners are a combination of obsessive amateurs and very well funded semi-pro drivers. Some of the top finishers compete in 10 races per year and like nascar & f1 know their way around the rulebook. Many of the quickest cars have low competition value and well spec's mods. A $250 hyundai can get motor mods, full coilover and upgraded brakes and still fit into $500 rule. Our 328 has a competition value of $550 so we either take laps or run in the exhibition class. We decided to to go EC and get a couple of years into the car as its value decreased to below $500.

Quick Reply: Chump Car Tomorrow