OOP Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OOP Inspection

Hi Guys,

I`ve just bought a Cayenne Turbo from another Province so have to get an Out Of Province Inspection before I can register it in my locality

i took it to a local garage (non Porsche) but they tried to fleece me for $2500 for various repairs even though the car has just had everything they are not happy with replaced (receipts from Porsche to prove)

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Edmonton that won't attempt to rip me off?

I have heard that there are dedicated car inspection centres that have no vested interest to be dishonest as they simply inspect (not like the others who hope to make on any potential repairs they say is required - a major "conflict of interest" in any other walk of life) - has anyone had any experience of these?

I might move to BC in the near future and would obviously take the car with me - would this mean I would have to re register and get another out of province carried out there too?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:06 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

I know Dekra has opened up 2 dedicated inspection only centre's in Ont but I think that's it. Send me a PM and I will call my rep in Edm tomorrow to see if he can recommend anyone that solely does inspections.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:53 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pags993
I know Dekra has opened up 2 dedicated inspection only centre's in Ont but I think that's it. Send me a PM and I will call my rep in Edm tomorrow to see if he can recommend anyone that solely does inspections.
Sounds good Pags993 - PM sent

I know there is a dedicated place for OOP inspections in Calgary but I don't know if I can legally drive that far (the car is insured by me and is still on the last owners registration which he is OK with until I get the OOP completed)

As I see it I have two options:

1) Find a dedicated test centre with no ulterior motive to find work that isn't required

2) Book a regular local garage for an OOP but make it clear from the outset that any fail items will be fixed by my regular dealer (i.e. - not them) thus negating any reason to invent work that isn't required

If I am shown something that is a certain fail I`m happy to have it repaired but the first OOP attempt was simply ridiculous - they told me the car needed things that were just replaced so I looked at them and couldn't see any issues at all, then when I said I had an invoice to prove this they said they'd do half the work and dropped their quote from $2500 to $1100!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:51 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Quote => If I am shown something that is a certain fail I`m happy to have it repaired but the first OOP attempt was simply ridiculous - they told me the car needed things that were just replaced so I looked at them and couldn't see any issues at all, then when I said I had an invoice to prove this they said they'd do half the work and dropped their quote from $2500 to $1100!

Honestly, you should report them to the BBB, they deserve that 100%,

George
Old 06-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Hey Sniffer, spoke to my rep today and he suggested AutoGuard Inspection Services. Hopefully they are not the clowns described in your OP. They claim to have an A+ BBB rating on the website.

Last edited by Pags993; 06-30-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Hey Sniffer, spoke to my rep today and he suggested AutoGuard Inspection Services. Hopefully they are the clowns described in your OP. They claim to have an A+ BBB rating on the website.
Thanks Pags993 - appreciate it.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:32 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by george44
Quote => If I am shown something that is a certain fail I`m happy to have it repaired but the first OOP attempt was simply ridiculous - they told me the car needed things that were just replaced so I looked at them and couldn't see any issues at all, then when I said I had an invoice to prove this they said they'd do half the work and dropped their quote from $2500 to $1100!

Honestly, you should report them to the BBB, they deserve that 100%,

George
I`m leaning towards that idea myself but before I do I`m gonna take the car to another inspection centre (the one Pags993 recommended) and see how that goes

If they don't highlight all the issues that the first garage found then I will consider my options......
Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Canadian tire does them they are pretty clueless should be trouble free.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:03 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
That was kinda what I thought too but I`ve read a couple of online reviews that strongly advised not to go there as they are a right bunch of ***** when it comes to OOP inspections

No doubt that depends to some degree on the branch

It sounds like a lot of garages treat the OOP as a kind of loss leader, using it to get people in the door before "advising" them they need various services (wheel alignment seems to be a common one)

I don't think its ethical that the garage performing the inspection should be allowed to carry out whatever repairs they deem are required - I see conflict of interest all over that scenario
Old 07-05-2015, 01:07 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
They use these inspections to make work. They will just say it needs stuff even if it didn't.

I once took an Audi 90 in for safety. Told me it needed rotors, pads and calipers to pass inspection. I asked what the thickness of the rotors were and the mechanic (dumbass) said he didn't even measure them. There was 4mm of pad thickness (1.5 is minimum) and one rear caliper was sticking when the park brake was applied. Oiled up the park brake lever and all was perfect. Rotors were all fine. I ended up taking a skim off the rotors to force the issue and they had to pass it. Total cost to me was $30. They wanted 2500$ to "fix" the brakes. When I called the MOT they said it is the discretion of the mechanic. Call consumer and corporate affairs...
Old 07-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
They use these inspections to make work. They will just say it needs stuff even if it didn't.

I once took an Audi 90 in for safety. Told me it needed rotors, pads and calipers to pass inspection. I asked what the thickness of the rotors were and the mechanic (dumbass) said he didn't even measure them. There was 4mm of pad thickness (1.5 is minimum) and one rear caliper was sticking when the park brake was applied. Oiled up the park brake lever and all was perfect. Rotors were all fine. I ended up taking a skim off the rotors to force the issue and they had to pass it. Total cost to me was $30. They wanted 2500$ to "fix" the brakes. When I called the MOT they said it is the discretion of the mechanic. Call consumer and corporate affairs...
Funny anything I have taken to the Aurora branch has been a 20 minute blind paperwork deal.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:23 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Sounds REAL similar to my experience - $2500 seems to be the going rate for this type of thing

If my brakes were defective I could easily replace everything myself for around a third of what they asked for - I`m convinced the Porsche badge had them thinking they could really stick the arm in.

Like I said previously I`m gonna make it clear from the outset at the next inspection that if repairs are necessary they will be carried out by another garage which should remove all incentive to invent work that is not required
Old 08-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Hey Sniffer, spoke to my rep today and he suggested AutoGuard Inspection Services. Hopefully they are not the clowns described in your OP. They claim to have an A+ BBB rating on the website.
Hey Pags,

Just to update

I used Autoguard and am very glad I did, they were everything I hoped for - good bunch of guys and the car went through no problems

I dealt with the owner directly, an older, quiet man who is very hands on. I also talked with a younger guy (would bet it was his son) who seemed knowledgeable on Porsches

Would highly recommend them to anyone in a similar position - many thanks

What I would not recommend is for anyone to go to the first place I tried, they attempted to lighten my pockets to the tune of $2500 to renew all the pads & rotors. In the interests of accuracy I should say that I stripped all the brakes and cleaned them (planned to do it anyway cos I wanted to paint the rotor hats) but I replaced NO parts.

The rotors were well within tolerance (surprisingly close to new actually) and so were the pads, I actually bought new front pads and was shocked by how little was off the originals when I compared the two

Guess I dodged a bullet in the end.......
Old 08-20-2015, 12:35 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniffer
Hey Pags,

Just to update

I used Autoguard and am very glad I did, they were everything I hoped for - good bunch of guys and the car went through no problems

I dealt with the owner directly, an older, quiet man who is very hands on. I also talked with a younger guy (would bet it was his son) who seemed knowledgeable on Porsches

Would highly recommend them to anyone in a similar position - many thanks

What I would not recommend is for anyone to go to the first place I tried, they attempted to lighten my pockets to the tune of $2500 to renew all the pads & rotors. In the interests of accuracy I should say that I stripped all the brakes and cleaned them (planned to do it anyway cos I wanted to paint the rotor hats) but I replaced NO parts.

The rotors were well within tolerance (surprisingly close to new actually) and so were the pads, I actually bought new front pads and was shocked by how little was off the originals when I compared the two

Guess I dodged a bullet in the end.......
What was the original company you went to? Not very helpful if you don't tell us.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

What was the original company you went to? Not very helpful if you don't tell us.
Is it ok to do that?

Or would there be legal repercussions for the site etc?

Quick Reply: OOP Inspection