Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure the one person who defends me ... Lol
Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
Sure the one person who defends me ... Lol
I agree with you as well. In a small amount but you know how some people get with you don't have N rated tires or mix oils.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:11 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
this ......

dont be too **** about what type of water for such a tiny amout , just dont use Milton water. .. you should be fine .. id be a little more concerned about why it dropped on a 100% recovery system . I never lose coolant for years .. if you have to top it up again i would be very concerned.

I have Cambridge water ( 25 grains ) so have run a water softener forever. dont even think about it any more. .

Ya, I already spoke to Mike McCarthy at Pfaff, they are gonna check it out for me.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Iceman: you should not be allowed to comment on this since your car does not use water or coolant stick to the oil discussions
Oil discusions are always painfully long

My a6 coolant hasn't gone down since i did my tiiming belt job 5 years ago. Hmmmmm that reminds me
Old 02-18-2015, 07:06 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
In a small amount but you know how some people get with you don't have N rated tires or mix oils.
I guess this is a bad place to admit that I just use hot water drawn from the tap in the morning if I just need a top up, or working on a cheap(er) car. Reason: The hot water tank settles out most sediments that really are concern.

Also, I don't subscribe to the BS that you can only use Porsche, BMW, VW, or Mercedes coolant. I used to think that was the case... but really you just need a coolant that is safe to use on aluminum components. Many years ago it was rare that a block, head, and radiator where made from aluminum, so you did require sourcing from German parts suppliers. But the cars from 'murica now also have these parts reverse engineered from alien technology. So, as long as the coolant is safe for aluminum, giddy up... pour it in... forget to tighten a hose clamp, take it on the track, spin on the slippery coolant leaking from the loose hose, and wreck the car... but at least you have the right coolant! Woo!!!

Somebody cut me off...
Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I would be far less concerned these days with a coolant that is not compatible with the engine parts, than different coolant not compatible with each other, not interested in an potentially expensive chemistry experiment!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-18-2015, 08:30 PM
aviography
Drifting

FWIW, wasn't suggesting catastrophic failure will occur with mixing coolants, I just don't personally want to gamble, at least not with my car anyway.

PEAK makes several different coolant formulations which it claims to be for "all makes, all models, and all years, regardless of OEM coolant color".

http://www.peakauto.com/products/ant...ts/automotive/

At the same time, Recochem Inc. has an engine coolant chart (attached) which states "For best results, do not mix with conventional high pH, borate or phosphate based coolants".

I'm sure there are probably just as many "evidence" on the web to support both theories.

For the duration the coolant is good for, I just went with known compatible G-13 from VW/Audi dealer when I changed water pump and flushed the coolent.
Attached Images
Old 02-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 546 Posts

I just use prestone (gold colour) and pre-mix at home. No issues.

I have topped up while in the US with my 85 (mixing gold and green) with no issues.

As mentioned earlier if you need to add a lot you likely have a leak and will be flushing it anyway. So you could probably pee in it in a pinch, then just fix the leak and flush/fill.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
So you could probably pee in it in a pinch, then just fix the leak and flush/fill.
With the amount of mineral in Milton water, it will probably plug the leak so you won't even have to fix it.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
With the amount of mineral in Milton water, it will probably plug the leak so you won't even have to fix it.
Ha Ha, probably.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:39 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you use the same kind of coolant it doesnt matter the brand really.

If you mix the different types..that could get ugly.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:22 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Car is at Pfaff now. There is a coolant leak. They gave me a nice 2014 Cayenne loaner. She's smooth.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:06 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Never use tap water in any coolant system. A small amount would probably be ok, but there is too much calcium, lime etc in tap water.
I follow this rule. But in a pinch I have used tap water.

Originally Posted by aviography
FWIW, wasn't suggesting catastrophic failure will occur with mixing coolants, I just don't personally want to gamble, at least not with my car anyway.

PEAK makes several different coolant formulations which it claims to be for "all makes, all models, and all years, regardless of OEM coolant color".

http://www.peakauto.com/products/ant...ts/automotive/

At the same time, Recochem Inc. has an engine coolant chart (attached) which states "For best results, do not mix with conventional high pH, borate or phosphate based coolants".

I'm sure there are probably just as many "evidence" on the web to support both theories.

For the duration the coolant is good for, I just went with known compatible G-13 from VW/Audi dealer when I changed water pump and flushed the coolent.
I have taken apart MANY Audi engines and have NEVER seen corrosion in any of them. And Audi owners are the worst for coolant changes. Only when the water pump goes do they change it. That can be many years. It is the reason I use exclusively G13 in my 928.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:56 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Both radiators are toast, leaking through. My Warranty expired a month ago and I noticed the issue 25 days out of warranty. Pfaff is replacing the radiators and I'll get the car back Monday but it looks like I gotta pay for this since it was out of warranty. That said, you gotta think maybe the problem started, as they are slow leaks, while it was still under warranty so I have asked for coverage. We shall see what happens.

Quick Reply: coolant