OT: Live in ON, temp work in BC - shipping car

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Live in ON, temp work in BC - shipping car

Sorry for the off-topic post here.

My father lives in ON and may have a 12-18mo contract for a company in BC. He would be spending every 2 out of 3 months there for the next 12-18 months. He wants to ship one of his cars there and keep it there for the remainder of the contract.

Has anyone here done that? His current insurance co says they won't insure him and he has to get a BC plate, etc. I figured it's kinda like being a student where permanent residence is in another province.

I spent 2 years in the States for some post-doc training and maintained Canadian plates, insurance, and licence the whole time - I just couldn't be out of province for more than a 6 month stretch - I'd come home for the odd weekend etc...

He's hoping to avoid having to re-plate the car, get a second licence etc.

Any thoughts, advice?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:47 AM
desmo853
5th Gear

Hi
I moved out to BC 8 years ago. I drove my truck and if I remember correctly he will need a driver's abstract prior to getting insurance and a plate for a vehicle and an out of Province inspection is also required. Ontario insurance is only good for a period of time if he takes up residency here.
If he's interested I have an 04 GT3 for sale.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:09 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

BC's auto insurance is public and tied to the plate on the car. If there's going to residency then your father will probably have to get BC plates, just to get insurance.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:37 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

You should be able to find an Ontario insurance company to extend coverage on the ontario vehicle while it is outside the province short term. (Basically who is to say the vehicle is not transported to and from B.C every 3 months? Or driven to Alberta or USA while abroad...)

I have a home in B.C and have been known to keep my out of province vehicles there for extended periods of time. (and other places outside of canada)

I considered transfering to B.C plates but then you would have to pay tax on the transfer (unless you can prove you just moved there full time) and if you are going to return to vehicle to ontario at some point then you most likely would have to pay taxes on the vehicle again to get your plates back.... too much tax on the one vehicle is not right IMO.

If the vehicle is a company car then the transfer from Ontario to B.C becomes even more difficult for your accountant.

Best to find another car in B.C or leave the Ontario plates on with Ontario extended north america area insurance.

Searail/livingston can take the vehicle for approx 1600.00 or TFX can truck it inclosed for approx 2500.00
Old 02-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the input so far!
He found a door-door delivery company for about $1200.
I suggested he call another insurance locally first as yeah, the transfer, tax, etc is a real pain - plus, not sure if they'll let him keep two licences...
Old 02-02-2015, 03:41 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will not let him keep two licenses, and if he turns out to need a BC license, he will also have to get a BC health card (it's actually the same card here).

$1200 from Toronto is the going rate for transport, and it supposedly takes about 30 days. That said, I would suggest that he not move a car out here. If (and only if) he's moving (principle residence) to BC, he can skip the import tax on the car if he registered it previously in Ontario, but he'll still have to get BC insurance (2x more expensive than Ontario insurance, in my case for the same driving history) and get a BC out of province inspection, which was a pain.

On the other hand, you can buy a car here easily if it's already in the province, since there is no requirement for any kind of inspection. Buying a car privately and getting the plates takes about 20 minutes, total.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:15 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
They will not let him keep two licenses, and if he turns out to need a BC license, he will also have to get a BC health card (it's actually the same card here).

$1200 from Toronto is the going rate for transport, and it supposedly takes about 30 days. That said, I would suggest that he not move a car out here. If (and only if) he's moving (principle residence) to BC, he can skip the import tax on the car if he registered it previously in Ontario, but he'll still have to get BC insurance (2x more expensive than Ontario insurance, in my case for the same driving history) and get a BC out of province inspection, which was a pain.

On the other hand, you can buy a car here easily if it's already in the province, since there is no requirement for any kind of inspection. Buying a car privately and getting the plates takes about 20 minutes, total.
I would suggest maintaining a drivers license that matches the province of the car's registration... to avoid any confusion..

You can only have one drivers license in canada.
If you get B.C license, you do not need a B.C health card...
Old 02-03-2015, 12:49 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 342 Posts

PM me some details on the GT3?
OP, sorry can't help, but maybe the car is 'here' everyone once and a while...

Originally Posted by desmo853
Hi
I moved out to BC 8 years ago. I drove my truck and if I remember correctly he will need a driver's abstract prior to getting insurance and a plate for a vehicle and an out of Province inspection is also required. Ontario insurance is only good for a period of time if he takes up residency here.
If he's interested I have an 04 GT3 for sale.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:37 AM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I took car out to BC for a year of school some time ago, but as I recall you will need BC plates and insurance, but Ontario drivers license is good. I dont remember if safety is required, but the transaction was easy as the plate was issued with the insurance. No time crunch as the Ont plate was good for maybe 30 days. Best to check with MOT and ICBC for exact requirements as it was some time ago.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:33 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
You can only have one drivers license in canada.
If you get B.C license, you do not need a B.C health card...
Originally Posted by pontifex4
Just for clarification, I think we're saying the same thing here: I was explaining that if he needs a BC services card, he must relinquish both his Ontario license and health card.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Donster
Pro

If you import a car to BC from another province you will get hit for 12% tax on the value of the car unless you also change your principal residence to BC at the same time. You will also need to get it inspected at an approved shop but there are lots of approved shops and this is a one-time expense of perhaps $200.
I don't think it is possible to insure the car in another province and live/drive in British Columbia. Lots of people here keep Alberta plates on their vehicles and insure them there but they are effectively driving without insurance, which is pretty stupid and not recommended.
ICBC rates vary by region and are not necessarily much higher than other provinces. The lower mainland (Vancouver) is high because accident and theft rates there are very high.
If your father is only going to be here for 2/3 time for 12-18 months he should contact ICBC or a local insurance broker to see what arrangements are necessary. Maybe he doesn't need to officially import the car if he's only going to be here for a limited time. That 12% is a big hit, believe me.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

He wants to take his Benz (which is leased through MB Canada) to BC (I then have to take care of his 996 C4S).
He contacted MB and they said it shouldn't be a problem to switch plates, or keep plated in Ontario provided he has proper insurance. There may be different tax implications in that case.
Otherwise, he'll put up the Benz on leasebusters or something and lease something in BC.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:09 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch
He wants to take his Benz (which is leased through MB Canada) to BC (I then have to take care of his 996 C4S).
He contacted MB and they said it shouldn't be a problem to switch plates, or keep plated in Ontario provided he has proper insurance. There may be different tax implications in that case.
Otherwise, he'll put up the Benz on leasebusters or something and lease something in BC.
Id keep ontario insurance and plates on the car..... just find an ontario insurance company that will insure the car while it is driven across canada...

It is nobodys business if the trip across canada becomes extended in B.C....

Realistically, people used to drive from B.C to Ontario for business all the time.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:12 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

what a money grab.
Why should one not be able to drive a legally registered and insured car anywhere they want to?
Old 02-06-2015, 02:40 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by creaturecat
what a money grab.
Why should one not be able to drive a legally registered and insured car anywhere they want to?
Of course you're allowed to travel, but if he changes his primary residence, it's pretty reasonable for his insurance policy to change. If anyone could register and insure a car anywhere, Alberta would have the only pavement left in the country (vehicle licensing pays a portion of road maintenance) and everyone in the country would be paying downtown Vancouver insurance rates, even to drive in rural Manitoba.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
It is nobodys business if the trip across canada becomes extended in B.C....
I'm not trying to be condescending, but it's literally the insurance company's business: his insurance rate is based on him residing in his postal code, plus his history and stated vehicle usage.

Quick Reply: OT: Live in ON, temp work in BC - shipping car