Notices

Drive Clean Test - Failed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:13 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Try and be more positive. Hudak might get in and you'll be off the hook.
Can only hope.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
Guess I have this to look forward to in August.
Huh? Been driving.
Valtag expires in August, and will probably need the eTest to renew.
Then you have nothing to look forward to......unless the check engine light is on. The OBD2 eTest is way more predictable than the old one. If your check engine light is off and have't reset the cimputer in a while AND have been regularly drivng the car then, it will pass. With the old way it was like college all over again....you don't know if it passes untill they show you the print out. I prefer the OBD2.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:24 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Then you have nothing to look forward to......unless the check engine light is on. The OBD2 eTest is way more predictable than the old one. If your check engine light is off and have't reset the cimputer in a while AND have been regularly drivng the car then, it will pass. With the old way it was like college all over again....you don't know if it passes untill they show you the print out. I prefer the OBD2.
Ok, cool, then I really can look forward to it.
Thanks.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Huh? Been driving.
Valtag expires in August, and will probably need the eTest to renew.

Test is opposite year of your car. Yours is an 06 so no test this year. Next year you can worry.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:03 PM
DOOBEE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been battling the new test for 2 weeks trying set my flags until I finally found a torn boost hose causing me to throw intermittent codes. Waiting for UPS to arrive and then back to the driving cycles.... Already have one expired valtag fine.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 PM
CATA19
Advanced

Took my dash apart and found that my engine light bulb was missing (among a few others). Put it in and sure enough the engine light was on. Did the drive readiness procedure and light is out. Have cleared the codes and now just waiting till all the monitored systems show Ready. Will be getting it tested again tomorrow. Once this is done, I will have to try and clear some of the other codes.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

I think you must be the only one. The old system I never failed. The whole system needs to be thrown out!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by CATA19
Took my dash apart and found that my engine light bulb was missing (among a few others). Put it in and sure enough the engine light was on. Did the drive readiness procedure and light is out. Have cleared the codes and now just waiting till all the monitored systems show Ready. Will be getting it tested again tomorrow. Once this is done, I will have to try and clear some of the other codes.
What do you mean other codes?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I think you must be the only one. The old system I never failed. The whole system needs to be thrown out!
Yes the entire program needs to be scrapped but I think you are missing my point. With the OBD2 eTest all you need is a cheap scanner ($100) and you'll kmow if it will pass or not. The tailpipe test didn't have a cheap scanner for the owner to buy and it was a crapshoot going in.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:17 AM
CATA19
Advanced

What do you mean other codes?
There are a few other lights such as the Air Bag and ABS. It is probably due to him changing the Steering wheel and not clearing the code. Will need to get the codes cleared to see if that is all it is or if there are other issues that needs to be resolved.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by CATA19
called it ....

keep in mind PO removed it for a reason. The MIL may come back on before the monitors set. The trickey part for you is you are allowed 2 monitors to not set and you will still be fine. There is no way for you to know without a diagnostic tool which monitors are set and which ones arent.

How are you monitoring monitors ? an OBD scanner with emmisions led ? If so that evap one is a pain and may take a while.

Good Luck.

Anyone have a tool PO can plug in at a get together and see whats set and what isnt ? if you find there are one or 2 not set and the MIL not on get her in ASAP and get it tested. You should pass, then get to work finding out why PO removed the bulb.

i'd be callng the guy I bought it from...

Last edited by theiceman; 05-29-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman

Anyone hae a tool PO can plug in at a get together and see whats set and what isnt ?
This...

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...-2-rental.html

The OP should be making this call to have this person come by and scan his car. The PIWIS-2 is the only tool that can change parameters and alter settings. The change in steering wheel may have thrown codes that the ECU reads as a bad airbag that no amount of clearing by durametric's software will clear. If the previous owner put on an after market steering wheel (or did something wrong) and got a CEL he probably realized the issue afterwards but was too cheap to go to a dealer to have the system scanned and reset. I'd bet this is the reason for the lack of bulb... (Should never have gotten by a good PDI.) I'd take the cost of what the guy who uses the PIWIS-2 to reset the system charges him and take the bill to the seller and say pay it or see you in small claims.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:01 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 604 Likes on 357 Posts

Just did mine. Passed with flying colors.

Not that anything below has anything to do with passing
- oil level was on the lower side so I topped it (I burn 1L every 3-3500 km)
- gave it a good highway run at constant rpm 3000 for a few mins
Old 05-29-2014, 10:42 PM
CATA19
Advanced

Did mine again today. Passed with no issues. All systems were "Ready".

Thank you everyone for your input and assistance! It is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Awesome!

Quick Reply: Drive Clean Test - Failed