Notices

Importing GT3 from Illinois to Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 05:26 PM
destro
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I imported a 2010 Carrera S from the US last March, and drove it up from Atlanta through the tail of the dragon (great drive).

It really comes down to the dealer. If they know what they are doing, you shouldn't have a problem. You will NOT pay state tax because they are selling it for export, they need to note that. Also you don't need a recall letter, you just need the print out from the dealer that says the car is free of any (recall) campaigns.

Depending on the state you can purchase a 30 day temp plate. The dealer (Hennessy Porsche) got one for me. And my insurance company just needed a bill of sale from the dealership describing what I bought. Most insurance companies will protect you in the US. So perhaps yours does not. If you drive down to the US for vacation and something happens your insurance company shouldn't say "there's a gray area". The only stipulation was that I needed to have the car registered in Canada within 45 days otherwise they would drop it from being insured.

Since you have a 997.2 like me, day time running lights can be turned on as part of your PCM lighting options. No other mods need to be completed.

As far as CPO you better check with whichever Canadian dealer you are dealing with since when I was doing my research, they would honour CPO for a fee of $1000 only if it passed their inspection. So it might be wiser to not buy the car with US CPO, and get it CPO'd here in Canada while you're still under warranty.

It was easier to import this car in 2013, than it was to import my new at the time Subaru in 2008.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:09 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Coolant pipe is required for any PCA event to my knowledge. When it goes it can have catastrophic consequences. Option is to use water wetter for instance instead of coolant but not sure of rules. It's not a complicated fix but they have to drop the engine to do it.
Good to know, that sounds incredibly expensive. lol I will try to find out from the previous owner if it's been done already.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
What Ronan said is correct, except some people do it without dropping the engine. Water wetter can be used as Ronan said.
I am interested in what RIV says...should be interesting.
does it have pccb? if so you may want to consider switching to steel rotors if you plan to track it.
Will look into that!

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
I have not read all the answers but here's my experience importing a BMW and Volvo (both where the RIV/TC incorrectly says you need to have stuff done at the dealership).

For insurance, my insurace was covering the car, whatever the plate that was on. First car was driven back with the seller's plate (that I shipped back after), second car with a temp plate from NJ state. In both cases I was fully insured.

For the recall letter, the only thing RIV wants is a dealer letterhead, stamped (really important) printout stating that all recalls have been done. I have used that successfully both times when the website stated I needed a dealer-issued ($$$) specific letter, some companies like BMW charges thousands for that letter.

If it doens't have DRLs then you need that but it can be done anywhere.
Funny, I guess it sounds like it's up to the individual insurance company to decide whether or not they cover a drive back from the US. Happy that we don't need to do anything to the cars to meet Canadian standards.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I have imported two GT3RS porsches from California to Canada.

CPO will be honored once the canadian porsche dealer inspects the car.

Recall letters are no longer required. It would be rare if RIV request it, however the Porsche dealer in Canada will provide it for you during their inspection.

Child seat anchors are not required in 2 seat GT3/GT2 models by the RIV.

Have your Porsche dealer program daytime running lights during inspection.

You will probably need to make up some french/english airbag stickers for the Sun visors if RIV form requests it.
Visit a Porsche dealer and take a cell phone picture of a canadian french/english sunvisor and have a decal company produce them for you. Dosnt have to be exact. Just enough to shut up RIV inspection.

Canadian tire will look for daytime running lights and french/english sunvisor if it is on the RIV form.
Again, Once you recieve the RIV form you will then know what is required.

Have you registered with RIV?

For driving the car through the USA some states require you pay sales tax if you drive the car off their lot.
Did you pay sales tax in Illinois? FWIW i never pay sales tax in the usa on a vehicle purchase that i am importing to canada.
Sometimes i have to provide bill of lading stating vehicle is being picked up by car carrier...... such a racket... money grab by the state is all it is.

For driving in USA, typically a canadian dealer plate would suffice but if you are not a dealer you will want an in-transit permit (temporary plate) from the american car dealership if possible. Can be hard to get if you did not pay the state tax on the sale. Again, varies by state. If lucky they will issue a temp plate and only charge you a small fee for a 24-48 hour plate.

Your canadian insurance company should be able to insure your car based on the VIN number and bill of sale while you drive through the USA to canada. You may want to increase your liability to be increased depending on your policy.
$2 million in USA should suffice since they sue everybody.... Or you can stick with $1 million like in canada. I believe the USA only requires $500k liability funny enough...

What color did you find and what price did you get it for?
Thanks for the info, read that English/French sticker requirement elsewhere, but didn't think they would check that. I will have to get one of those stickers.

I have not registered with RIV yet, but I've printed off all the instructions that I need to go ahead with the process. I'm most likely going to import in a week or two from now. I did not buy it from Illinois. That car was in quite a bad state.

I went with the grey/red combo. Price is a secret. I am glad to see the prices continue to go up in the GTA though. Don't think I paid extra even when factoring in the CAD to USD exchange and 6% extra import tax.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destro
I imported a 2010 Carrera S from the US last March, and drove it up from Atlanta through the tail of the dragon (great drive).

It really comes down to the dealer. If they know what they are doing, you shouldn't have a problem. You will NOT pay state tax because they are selling it for export, they need to note that. Also you don't need a recall letter, you just need the print out from the dealer that says the car is free of any (recall) campaigns.

Depending on the state you can purchase a 30 day temp plate. The dealer (Hennessy Porsche) got one for me. And my insurance company just needed a bill of sale from the dealership describing what I bought. Most insurance companies will protect you in the US. So perhaps yours does not. If you drive down to the US for vacation and something happens your insurance company shouldn't say "there's a gray area". The only stipulation was that I needed to have the car registered in Canada within 45 days otherwise they would drop it from being insured.

Since you have a 997.2 like me, day time running lights can be turned on as part of your PCM lighting options. No other mods need to be completed.

As far as CPO you better check with whichever Canadian dealer you are dealing with since when I was doing my research, they would honour CPO for a fee of $1000 only if it passed their inspection. So it might be wiser to not buy the car with US CPO, and get it CPO'd here in Canada while you're still under warranty.

It was easier to import this car in 2013, than it was to import my new at the time Subaru in 2008.
Thanks for the info. I probably need another insurance company to cover me. Which insurance did you use? As for the CPO warranty, only US dealerships can issue a CPO on a US car, and it can be transferred here after you pay a Canadian dealership a fee first. However, the CPO can't be done here on a US car.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

When I did it in 2010 all I had to do was fax proof of insurance to the dealer so they could issue me a 30 temp. tag (North Carolina). My insurance company did that for me.
My insurance company wouldn't recognize the vehicle until I had an Ontario ownership but would cover me based on my existing policy.
Believe me it didn't make any sense.
I'm with CAA insurance by the way.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:34 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian 162
When I did it in 2010 all I had to do was fax proof of insurance to the dealer so they could issue me a 30 temp. tag (North Carolina). My insurance company did that for me.
My insurance company wouldn't recognize the vehicle until I had an Ontario ownership but would cover me based on my existing policy.
Believe me it didn't make any sense.
I'm with CAA insurance by the way.
Thanks, that's the grey area my insurance agent was talking about. Where they don't recognize the ownership until it's present in Ontario, but would have coverage from my existing policy. That's the weird part, where I'm cautioned and I don't know what that means exactly.

What if the car is in an accident or gets stolen along the drive home? What happens then? That's the issue I'm having as I don't know who to ask to get a black and white answer.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

what if you get in an accident in Canada with the US permit (which may turn out to be not legal), if you are driving with not legal plates they would not cover your for you are breaking the law. For a valuable car like the rs, you should just pay the approx $2500 and have it delivered to your door safely...but how do you get it to Canadian Tire? ...flatbed?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:09 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

what if you get in an accident in Canada with the US permit (which may turn out to be not legal), if you are driving with not legal plates they would not cover your for you are breaking the law. For a valuable car like the rs, you should just pay the approx $2500 and have it delivered to your door safely...but how do you get it to Canadian Tire? ...flatbed?
Yea, I decided to just let a transport company take care of it. The car I'm purchasing has less than 10,000km on it. Driving it 500-1000km will depreciate the car's value by over $1000. The cost of shipping it is $1200. No point in doing it. I'm just eager to go get it, the shipping company may mean I might have to wait an additional week or so before I receive the car.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

sounds good, except $1200 to import from Illinois sounds too cheap to be an actual shipping company, sounds more like a broker that gives the business to the lowest bidder. I have heard horror stories where the car goes mia for a couple weeks with a broker. I used TFX when I imported a 993 turbo a few years ago and they did a great job. Good luck and I do not mean to cause you stress but better to be warned before it is done. Get the seller to photograph the truck and the loading procedure, and be sure to inspect the car very carefully when it is delivered. I could tell you some stories of bad deliveries which I have heard about, but not my cars. Enjoy the RS, they are incredible machines
Old 05-03-2014, 02:22 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

sounds good, except $1200 to import from Illinois sounds too cheap to be an actual shipping company, sounds more like a broker that gives the business to the lowest bidder. I have heard horror stories where the car goes mia for a couple weeks with a broker. I used TFX when I imported a 993 turbo a few years ago and they did a great job. Good luck and I do not mean to cause you stress but better to be warned before it is done. Get the seller to photograph the truck and the loading procedure, and be sure to inspect the car very carefully when it is delivered. I could tell you some stories of bad deliveries which I have heard about, but not my cars. Enjoy the RS, they are incredible machines
It's TFX that quoted me ~$1200. With the CAD to USD exchange rate being lower, I don't think they're as busy as they were when the dollar was at parity. Probably have to be more competitive with pricing. Doubt anyone will be importing if the rate falls to 85 cents to the dollar.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
Thanks, that's the grey area my insurance agent was talking about. Where they don't recognize the ownership until it's present in Ontario, but would have coverage from my existing policy. That's the weird part, where I'm cautioned and I don't know what that means exactly.

What if the car is in an accident or gets stolen along the drive home? What happens then? That's the issue I'm having as I don't know who to ask to get a black and white answer.
I would guess if in an accident I would have been covered liability wise. They said I would have coverage but if push came to shove it would have been a battle.
I see you're going to have the car shipped. If you do the math flight, gas, hotel, the cost to ship vs driving may be cheaper.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Wow that is a great price from TFX. Cheaper than getting it yourself.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:31 PM
ahsanh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I literally just went throught this exact same process last week (bought a 2011 GT3 from Jersey and drove it up). Most of this has already been covered in this post, but process was extremely painless; dealer did all the required mods (daytime running lights and switching to kms) at no charge. Dealer also issued a recall letter at no additional charge (according to RIV, you just need a job management report from the dealer that's dated at most 30 days prior to import. I sent a pdf of the job management report to RIV prior to importing and they responded back (literally within minutes) confirming it was acceptable) - bring this email with you to Canadian border. Car is CPO'd and will be honored in Canada (CPO paperwork indicates warranty valid in Canada and US). If you haven't already, go to the RIV website and go through their checklist - http://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx). Don't forget to send title and car description to US border 3 days before hand. At Lewiston, go to US customs office first for exportation (they're only open weekdays 8-3; they will respond to your email before hand after you send them the title with instructions). Takes about 10 minutes. Then Canadian Border - will need to fill out Form 1 that will be completed and stamped by the border. Pay 6.1%+5% at the border (they will give you a receipt that you will need at the licensing office). Take Form 1 to RIV office in Etobicoke (no need to wait for the mail) and pay your RIV fee and get the inspection letter. Take the inspection letter to Canadian Tire to do the RIV inspection (you also need safety and emmissions, can do this at the CT or take it to a porsche dealer). CT will stamp form 1 and RIV form. Take this, along with saftey and emmissions, receipt from Canadian Border, title, bill of sale and vehicle registration application (available at service ontario) to service ontario, and they'll issue you plates (after you pay 8%) and Canadian title (they'll keep the US title). All in all, I was basically canadian registered and plated within 2 days of crossing the border. I got confirmation from my insurance company that they will cover me from time I took delivery provided they received form 1 and ontario registration within 20 days. Feel free to get in touch if you have questions.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ahsanh
I literally just went throught this exact same process last week (bought a 2011 GT3 from Jersey and drove it up). Most of this has already been covered in this post, but process was extremely painless; dealer did all the required mods (daytime running lights and switching to kms) at no charge. Dealer also issued a recall letter at no additional charge (according to RIV, you just need a job management report from the dealer that's dated at most 30 days prior to import. I sent a pdf of the job management report to RIV prior to importing and they responded back (literally within minutes) confirming it was acceptable) - bring this email with you to Canadian border. Car is CPO'd and will be honored in Canada (CPO paperwork indicates warranty valid in Canada and US). If you haven't already, go to the RIV website and go through their checklist - http://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx). Don't forget to send title and car description to US border 3 days before hand. At Lewiston, go to US customs office first for exportation (they're only open weekdays 8-3; they will respond to your email before hand after you send them the title with instructions). Takes about 10 minutes. Then Canadian Border - will need to fill out Form 1 that will be completed and stamped by the border. Pay 6.1%+5% at the border (they will give you a receipt that you will need at the licensing office). Take Form 1 to RIV office in Etobicoke (no need to wait for the mail) and pay your RIV fee and get the inspection letter. Take the inspection letter to Canadian Tire to do the RIV inspection (you also need safety and emmissions, can do this at the CT or take it to a porsche dealer). CT will stamp form 1 and RIV form. Take this, along with saftey and emmissions, receipt from Canadian Border, title, bill of sale and vehicle registration application (available at service ontario) to service ontario, and they'll issue you plates (after you pay 8%) and Canadian title (they'll keep the US title). All in all, I was basically canadian registered and plated within 2 days of crossing the border. I got confirmation from my insurance company that they will cover me from time I took delivery provided they received form 1 and ontario registration within 20 days. Feel free to get in touch if you have questions.
I have a question: Who(insert profanity here) are you?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:43 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ahsanh
Thanks for going over the process after arriving on the Canadian side. These are actually great instructions. Just to confirm did you mean the RIV Office in Mississauga/405 The West Mall? I'm going to go in person to speed things up as well.

So your insurance company cleared you to drive the car while in Ontario so long as you did everything within 20 days. You had a New Jersey temporary license plate on it for the two days before getting your Ontario plates?

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
I have a question: Who(insert profanity here) are you?
Lol

Quick Reply: Importing GT3 from Illinois to Ontario