Importing GT3 from Illinois to Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:55 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Importing GT3 from Illinois to Ontario

Hey,

I just checked the RIV website and it doesn't indicate that '10/11 Porsches need any modification work to be imported into Canada. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm thinking of shipping the car to Buffalo and picking it up from there. Anyone suggest a great reliable shipping company? Or where would be a great place to store the car incase there's any issues at the border?

Any advice pertaining to the GT3 when importing into Canada? I see the factory warranty is transferrable to Canada as well.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Did this 3 years ago so I don't think a lot has changed.
Get all your paperwork sent to the border at least 3 days before.
Carry extra copies with you. Importing is at Queenston/Lewiston bridge. (8:00am - 4:00 pm if memory serves on US side)
I met the car transporter guy across the street from the Fashion Outlet mall parking lot on Military Road (with many others).
Had a uHaul trailer hooked up my the truck and brought it over myself.
I went the uHaul way as the trailer was $49 for the day vs $800 for Aabrams towing to pick it up.
30 minutes on the US side. About an hour on the Canadian side.
You pay duty (6.1%) and GST (5%) on the Canadian side.

You'll need the recall clearance letter which can only come from Porsche. Dealer of your choice.
They'll to the inspection & certification for about $500 (emissions, metric switchover, DRL's, child seat anchors)
My car was a dealer CPO so warranty was still valid.
Factory warranty is valid if car is purchased from either a private owner or Porsche dealer but not an independent dealer like "Joe's Used car sales"

Then you go to Canadian Tire (yes Canadian Tire) where they do a quick inspection to ensure all has been done.
Then off to Provincial Ministry of Transport for plates. That's when you pay whatever provincial taxes that are applicable. (8% Ontario)
Bob's your uncle and it's done. Enjoy!
I think that's about it.

Here's the websites I used for reference.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5048-eng.html
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicle...-index-445.htm
http://www.importcartocanada.info/to...ce-calculator/
http://www.importcartocanada.info/
Old 04-14-2014, 09:47 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the detailed response!

I'm assuming the recall letter will need to come from any dealership in North America? I just call and they email me the copy indicating the recalls have been done?

I'm assuming the certification and inspection is done AFTER the car has arrived in Canada? Not before right?

One question. The CPO warranty is void if sold through a private dealership, but I'm assuming the original factory warranty is not void? This isn't clear in your message. I know Canadians have completely warranty coverage when a car is originally from the US. I believe we just pay that $500 admin fee first?

Thank you!!

Originally Posted by wc11
Did this 3 years ago so I don't think a lot has changed.
Get all your paperwork sent to the border at least 3 days before.
Carry extra copies with you. Importing is at Queenston/Lewiston bridge. (8:00am - 4:00 pm if memory serves on US side)
I met the car transporter guy across the street from the Fashion Outlet mall parking lot on Military Road (with many others).
Had a uHaul trailer hooked up my the truck and brought it over myself.
I went the uHaul way as the trailer was $49 for the day vs $800 for Aabrams towing to pick it up.
30 minutes on the US side. About an hour on the Canadian side.
You pay duty (6.1%) and GST (5%) on the Canadian side.

You'll need the recall clearance letter which can only come from Porsche. Dealer of your choice.
They'll to the inspection & certification for about $500 (emissions, metric switchover, DRL's, child seat anchors)
My car was a dealer CPO so warranty was still valid.
Factory warranty is valid if car is purchased from either a private owner or Porsche dealer but not an independent dealer like "Joe's Used car sales"

Then you go to Canadian Tire (yes Canadian Tire) where they do a quick inspection to ensure all has been done.
Then off to Provincial Ministry of Transport for plates. That's when you pay whatever provincial taxes that are applicable. (8% Ontario)
Bob's your uncle and it's done. Enjoy!
I think that's about it.

Here's the websites I used for reference.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5048-eng.html
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicle...-index-445.htm
http://www.importcartocanada.info/to...ce-calculator/
http://www.importcartocanada.info/
Old 04-14-2014, 10:13 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

The recall letter MUST come from Porsche Canada via a Porsche dealer in Canada.
Back in the day, apparently you could get a US dealer or Porsche US to send you a recall clearance letter for about $150 but I think Porsche Canada figured that out so now it has to be from Canada and is just part of the process.
No exception from my understanding. At least that's what happened to me.

All the inspections & certifications are done after import before you can get your plates.

Not 100% sure on the original "factory warranty" status if sold by a 3rd party independent dealer.
I would suggest checking with Porsche Canada.
I just know this rule applied to CPO cars and I paid no fee of any kind.
More than likely, I bet that the $500 inspection & certification by a Porsche dealer is what validates the warranty transfer as well as the other stuff.

All in all, it was a pretty painless exercise.
Just take your time and make sure all the paperwork is done.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:51 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless something at RIV has changed in the last few months, the recall letter can come from any Porsche dealership in Canada or the US, or probably even Botswana, so long as it's on Porsche letterhead (or has a Porsche tech's business card photocopied onto it). Forget what Porsche Canada tells you - it's RIV you have to worry about with respect to the recall clearance letter. Porsche Canada has nothing to do with it. I just start calling dealers in the US at random. If you're having a PPI done at a Porsche dealership, ask them to throw the letter in as part of the service. 99 times out of 100 they will.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:01 AM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche NA Will issue the recall letter at no charge and usually within a couple of days after the request. Porsche warranty applies in Canada no matter who you purchase the car from in the US.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Yup, the original 4yr Porsche warranty is good from whoever is selling the car.

One other detail. Your taxes at the border will be based of their valuation of the car, not your receipt or paperwork.

Example:
( If your uncle left you a new Ferrari in Michigan in his will, you will pay taxes on the valuation of the car at the Canadian Border )....OUCH !!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
Porsche NA Will issue the recall letter at no charge and usually within a couple of days after the request.
Unless something has recently changed, no they will not! Porsche NA and Jack Daniels Porsche in NJ denied my request for a Recall Clearance Letter March of 2013 stating that I had to take my car to a Canadian dealer in order to obtain and hence pay the lovely $500 noted above. I even did the PPI at JD Porsche...LOL.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Yup, the original 4yr Porsche warranty is good from whoever is selling the car.

One other detail. Your taxes at the border will be based of their valuation of the car, not your receipt or paperwork.
Not necessarily - only if they don't believe the price you claim. They do have the right to charge you based on their valuation, if they disbelieve your documentation, but like everything else, it's a negotiation. Bring evidence - not just a wire transfer receipt, but bank statements showing no other major withdrawals (i.e. sent a transfer for one amount, then brought cash to top that up), ads for the car, emails showing negotiations over price, etc. I had one a$$hole CBSA guy try to tell me the Mini I bought at the auction was underpriced. He left for 5 minutes and came back with a few printouts of similar cars for sale he found just googling "2006 Mini Cooper". He was absolutely and completely clueless. I had documentation from the largest wholesale vehicle auction in the world - I told him he could call them to verify the purchase price. I told him "do you really think I'd risk my dealer's license and my livelihood over a few hundred dollars in duty and HST?" He busted my ***** for 10 or 15 minutes, trying to get me to crack. In the end he had no choice but to accept that I was telling the truth.

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Unless something has recently changed, no they will not! Porsche NA and Jack Daniels Porsche in NJ denied my request for a Recall Clearance Letter March of 2013 stating that I had to take my car to a Canadian dealer in order to obtain and hence pay the lovely $500 noted above. I even did the PPI at JD Porsche...LOL.
That's a lousy thing for them to do. It should be stated up front, before the PPI begins, that the recall letter should be a part of the inspection process.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Not the case with me. Didn't even ask for documentation. They asked me what I paid but billed me on their numbers ( couple of grand more than what I paid ) and showed me the pay counter !

In 2007 I imported a new Honda s2000. I paid taxes on the purchase receipt.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:05 PM
Christien
Race Car

You should have argued with them. That's like accepting the insurance company's first offer on a total loss!
Old 04-15-2014, 03:07 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
That's a lousy thing for them to do. It should be stated up front, before the PPI begins, that the recall letter should be a part of the inspection process.
The service manager told me ALL U.S. dealers have been instructed by Porsche Cars NA to refuse the Recall Clearance Letter on any car being exported to Canada. Doesn't mean they won't do it but that's what was presented to me when I asked.

That's why I then launched a complaint with Porsche Cars NA and never heard back...wonder if my case # is still open?

Protectionism at its best.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by Christien
You should have argued with them. That's like accepting the insurance company's first offer on a total loss!
Maybe I should have, but I was grinning ear to ear from just pickin her up at Port Huron. When I'm that happy I'm butter in yer hands
Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Thanks wc11! Your responses and that linked cleared everything up for me. Glad I have a better understanding now. I contacted TFX to find out what they need, and basically they'll take care of transporting the car into Toronto for about ~$1500 from the Northeast USA. I'd rather have someone else do it instead of spending my time doing it.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:23 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the info guys! I've heard the taxes are based on their own research which is ridiculous. I hope with a transport company taking care of it, there are no issues!

Quick Reply: Importing GT3 from Illinois to Ontario