Track Insurance - Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JayinToronto
Can I ask you what company that was?
Ins. co. is The Personal. Interestingly, when I bought the GT3 RS, I don't recall them asking the same questions and I did track that car.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rreindl
I called my insurer (Meloche Monnex- TD insurance) to inquire about insurance at drivers education events for my Porsche 997. Just for asking, they doubled my premiums. I had to send them a signed letter verifying that the car will never be used on a track to get my original coverage and premium back.
TD are bastards. Just want to insure you if you won't ever claim. Drop you the second they can, even if you have been with them for years.

Insurance is the bain of my existence. Evil blood sucking bastards.

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Just got a new car last month. They went through the standard list of questions including asking if I was going to track it and when I said yes, they told me they would not insure me (not even for the street) if I had any intention on tracking it.
This is why you don't say so when they ask.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:33 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

insurance in ontario is a scam
Old 04-07-2014, 01:34 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman

This is why you don't say so when they ask.
I would never volunteer any extraneous info, but I would also never lie to any question they ask me.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM
breakfast
Pro

maybe you dont intend to track it the day they ask.

plans can change
Old 04-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

There are very good reasons why people should not post photos/videos of themselves or friends at track days on any social media (check your security settings!) or even here on Rennlist. There are very good reasons to ask organizers not to allow photography of participants at track days without your permission if at all possible. I see so many YouTube videos of peoples track day activities on open searchable accounts that I shake my head sometimes and not only of these peoples activities but of their friends driving activities as well. The rise of GoPro cams can have unintended consequences for the owners. There are very good reasons why 5 minutes with a screwdriver removing both license plates from your car at the beginning of the day and putting them back on at the end of the day is a good idea. I also see people driving around with a car number stuck in their rear 1/4 windows at social gatherings. Really?

You cannot control someone recording your track day activities most of the time when your out on track but you sure as heck can make the identification of youself and your car (plate removal) harder... And if you do have an unfortunate incident - do not talk about it online nor mention your track day activities here. I see people I don't recognize as track day participants or friends of such standing at corners taking photos and then watch as they drive thorough the tunnel and exit the track. Security is fooled all the time - they only care if people sign the waver.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:06 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
There are very good reasons why people should not post photos/videos of themselves or friends at track days on any social media (check your security settings!) or even here on Rennlist. There are very good reasons to ask organizers not to allow photography of participants at track days without your permission if at all possible. I see so many YouTube videos of peoples track day activities on open searchable accounts that I shake my head sometimes and not only of these peoples activities but of their friends driving activities as well. The rise of GoPro cams can have unintended consequences for the owners. There are very good reasons why 5 minutes with a screwdriver removing both license plates from your car at the beginning of the day and putting them back on at the end of the day is a good idea. I also see people driving around with a car number stuck in their rear 1/4 windows at social gatherings. Really?

You cannot control someone recording your track day activities most of the time when your out on track but you sure as heck can make the identification of youself and your car (plate removal) harder... And if you do have an unfortunate incident - do not talk about it online nor mention your track day activities here. I see people I don't recognize as track day participants or friends of such standing at corners taking photos and then watch as they drive thorough the tunnel and exit the track. Security is fooled all the time - they only care if people sign the waver.
Some very good advise for people who track their car, which of course I never would! ;-)
Old 04-07-2014, 06:55 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PbPedis
I would never volunteer any extraneous info, but I would also never lie to any question they ask me.
Agreed. NEVER lie. And NEVER offer info... rules to live by
Old 04-07-2014, 07:18 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
TD are bastards. Just want to insure you if you won't ever claim. Drop you the second they can, even if you have been with them for years.

Insurance is the bain of my existence. Evil blood sucking bastards.
TD sucks the big donkey!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:50 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by breakfast
maybe you dont intend to track it the day they ask.

plans can change
LOL. I like the way you think.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 351 Posts

surprised about he really negative TD reviews, my experience has been awesome, no questions or hassles(submitted appraisal with mods listed, and a good dollar value, no premium increase, no track questions)...and I'm a young guy driving a GT2 ...my buddy with a fast, modded '11 Stang has same experience as me...
and 100% about no plates when at track days
Old 04-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Mike_UCR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience was also with TD Meloche Monnex. They have always been great with us
Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JayinToronto
Some very good advise for people who track their car, which of course I never would! ;-)
A few strips of masking tape work as well... Just don't forget it's there when leaving!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n
A few strips of masking tape work as well... Just don't forget it's there when leaving!
Or the time I'm leaving the track and I'm following a certain 997 that I recognize and I'm staring at the car and suddenly a light bulb goes off (it was along day at the corner) - his rear plate was upside down! No wonder I couldn't read it and here I thought I was becoming dyslexic! Much flashing of headlights until he pulled over by the fire station just south of the track on #20. Puzzled look on his face until I tell him to look at the back of his car. Then it was a slap head moment. LOL Must have been a long day for him too... I can not reveal his name except if water boarded or extreme financial bribery levels are reached...
Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 PM
simon85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I signed for my Cayman insurance, they told me at least 5 times that my car is not covered for track usage. Gotta call a towing if something happened.............. :-) kidding.... not! Yes I'm kidding...

Quick Reply: Track Insurance - Canada