Notices

Which waterpump for a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:29 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 353 Posts

Neb, have you checked with London Porsche? price might surprise you...after exchange rate, duty, shipping....
Old 04-03-2014, 01:16 PM
heligear
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the Porsche water pump only, with the plastic impeller, the metal impeller will tear up the engine block if the bearing fails. There is a fellow on Ebay who works at a dealer in Florida, and sells parts on the side, his prices are really good and he was excellent to deal with his Ebay name is mbofmelbourne, just make sure that you get the 996 pump if that is what you are after as the 997 pump is 2mm larger and will not fit.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Jake categorically states NOT to buy/install the metal one. I attended his meet and greet last year where he discussed this and many other 996 issues. People who attended will back this statement up. He has also mentioned several times in the 996 forum the danger of metal blades. Jake only mentioned he had investigated a repair but he recommends his engine rebuild clients replace the water pump every three years with the Porsche OEM plastic pump.

Here's a comment he made on it: https://rennlist.com/forums/11039659-post4.html

Irregardless if someone has the ability (shade tree or pro) to fix a f**ked up internal casting bore that the pump fits into - its an example of a failure that even the 928 guys acknowledge that plastic blades are the way to go and are investigating a supplier: 'We have a few folks working on a fix, Roger is working on a deal with Lasso for a new pump with a plastic impeller, I think that is going to be a very good choice for many people.' (not sure of date of this comment).

This procedure has NOT been demonstrated on a 996 yet, nor has a tool been built for it to be used on a 996. So its still a theoretical repair on a 996 until we see that post and those photos. Its also not an 'easy procedure' (subjective term) given the % of 996 people who even work on their own cars.

The back story to this repair is that a plastic impeller was not available to the 928 community until 2008 (OEM) and 2010 (aftermarket). Many 928 owners had damage before this availability - hence the ingeniousness of the people involved in this repair procedure. I salute them.

But that doesn't dismiss the fact that there IS a solution for 996 owners to prevent a complicated repair like this one - BUY the OEM plastic part - install it and treat it as a maintenance (replacement schedule) item as per the manual.
Good write up but replace the WP every three years -- you can't possibly be serious!!! Jake is a bit doom and gloom!!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:29 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
Good write up but replace the WP every three years -- you can't possibly be serious!!! Jake is a bit doom and gloom!!
I agree, Mine is now 12 years old and never had an issue with it.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:41 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neb
Thanks for all the comments. Yes, I am leanign towards OEM, and I have ordered from suncoast before, I can't believe its' $299 there, and $471 at Pfaff.

What else should I do while I am replacing the waterpump? Thermostat?

I am doing it more as a preventative maintenance, it has been 60000km since the last one.
I replaced my water pump this winter (and posted earlier with the unfortunate finding that the 997 water pump is slightly larger and does not fit). I replaced my thermostat at the same time and would definitely recommend it.

In order to remove the water pump from the bottom you have to remove the hose to the thermostat which is a good portion of the effort to remove it completely. It only takes a few minutes to get the 4 bolts off the thermostat and remove it so I think it is a good idea to replace it at the same time.
Apparently it is possible (from someone on this forum) to remove the water pump from the top by removing one of the idler pulleys but I didn't go that route.

I replaced mine with a low temperature (160 degree) thermostat after researching on this forum. I think the consensus from the experts was that the lower thermostat doesn't hurt and there is a chance it helps. Unfortunately the usual sources of parts didn't have a good price on the low temperature thermostat but I found a great deal at Paragon Products. The owner also has a set of copper exhaust nuts which should help prevent the muffler bolts from seizing (if you are planning on removing the exhaust in the near future).
If you do order the thermostat from somewhere make sure that the gasket is included.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
I never said he was right...
Old 04-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks everyone, end up getting parts from Brad at Porsche London. Good price even with the shipping.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:34 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 353 Posts

Quick Reply: Which waterpump for a 996?