OT Fender Bender Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 06:24 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

wth.??!?!?!!

Originally Posted by theiceman

a whole bunch of plastic broken but not much more . really slow speed impacts .. the guy behind my buddies daughter jumps out and runs up to see if tshe is oaky .. she says er yeah .. it was like ereally slow ...

so the guy after confirming she is okay goes back to his car , gets in and demands to the cop when he shows up , an ambulance be called, because he has whiplash and needs to be taken to hospital ....

so of he goes in a neck brace and stretcher.

you just never know who you are dealing with.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

+1

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Regardless of everyone's opinion, your son will still be at fault. I would avoid insurance, especially given his age, as his premium will likely skyrocket. However, if you have "accident forgiveness" on your policy and this is the first accident, you could go through insurance and pray there are no more accidents in the near future, but you're rolling the dice with this one. I'd go with the 1st option if I were you unless the cost of repair is going to be huge.
Originally Posted by aviography
If you are going the private route, make sure to get a letter drafted up for both your son and the other party to sign indicating the matter is resolved privately between the two parties, and no further actions will result after payment is made. (assuming you agree to make some/any payment to the other party)
Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
wth.??!?!?!!
yeah im pretty sure it was this guy

http://www.dashcamaccidents.com/insu...y-dash-camera/
Old 02-10-2014, 06:56 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

lol ive seen this before... just terrible.... i definately will have my dash cam installed for this season.

yeah im pretty sure it was this guy

http://www.dashcamaccidents.com/insu...y-dash-camera/
Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinicod
Ok , so my son bumped into the rear end of a Toyota Corolla. Apparently, some guy slid into a ditch on a 401 on-ramp, everyone slammed on the brakes behind him, and he bumped into the guy in front of him. Guy has some scratches on the bumper and there might be a crack. My car (not the Porsche!!) has a cracked bumper and it's pushed in just a bit. No air bags, no fluids spilled, no one hurt.

At first the guy he hit says "we'll just do the insurance thing". After the cop arrives, hears the stories and checks out the damage, he suggests we deal with it on our own, so we will be in touch.

Thing is, the guy he hit agrees there's nothing my son could do, and the cop kind of agreed.

What am I best to do under the circumstances? Do we have no choice but to admit fault? Do it avoid insurance at all costs (my son is 18).
Very similar thing happened to my daughter.

Here in BC all claims are handled thru the government run ICBC. The other party makes a claim directly to ICBC. I was given the opportunity to reimburse ICBC 100% for the other party's damages (approx $1,800) and by doing so there is no claim shown on my daughter's records.

No risk for me as ICBC handles 100% of the claim to the other party. I just reimburse ICBC. Also because ICBC doesn't know ahead of time whether or not the costs would be reimbursed they have a vested interest in keeping the repair costs down.

The cost of insurance is so high that it doesn't make sense to use insurance for amounts less than $5,000.

+1 for government insurance I guess.

Will private insurance companies offer something similar?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Ontario has private insurance and I'm pretty sure we pay way more than you guys in BC.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

a whole bunch of plastic broken but not much more . really slow speed impacts .. the guy behind my buddies daughter jumps out and runs up to see if tshe is oaky .. she says er yeah .. it was like ereally slow ...

so the guy after confirming she is okay goes back to his car ,
gets in and demands to the cop when he shows up , an ambulance be called, because he has whiplash and needs to be taken to hospital ....

so of he goes in a neck brace and stretcher.

you just never know who you are dealing with.
He just wants to make sure he wasn't going to be sued by the daughter of your coworker!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Dinicod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty good Canuck 964, because correct me if I'm wrong someone, but here in Ontario you don't even have to file a claim - if they find out there was an "incidence", they will ding you! Even if it doesn't cost them a dime!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

thats what i was thinking.

Originally Posted by aviography
He just wants to make sure he wasn't going to be sued by the daughter of your coworker!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Dinicod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so we get a call from the Collision Reporting Center and they say we need to go into the CRC as the other driver reported a collision - yes, the @#$%^* reported a "collision". Not sure when, but we have to go in and report it almost a week after the fact.
Anyone know how this works from here?
I'm NOT putting in a claim - I have a DIY bumper fix, that I may or may not fix anyway.
How do they establish fault based on his story vs. mine? Or does that not matter? Further "exploration" with my son determined that the guy was sitting on the on-ramp looking at some guy who had slid into the ditch, when my son came around the bend. Guess he's still at fault? Doesn't seem totally fair?
Is someone gonna call me? Beats me?
And btw, don't get into an accident, the whole reporting center thing is ridiculous.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you hit someone from behind it's your fault. Period. No discussion.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

^^ 100% correct their is nothing fair about our system its all geared toward ensuring the insurance companies can keep making the obscene profit they have become accustom to. 15% reduction claimed by the Liberals or NDP or whomever yeah good luck with that!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

I know you don't want to hear this but unless the other diver was drivng in the wrong direction, your son is at fault. Take the emotions out of it and think about it. He was drivng too fast for the conditions. Self reporting collissions do not result in fines from the police, so that at least is a good news. In all fairness, the other driver had every right to change his mind and report it.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, unless the other person was stopped on the shoulder of the ramp, then suddenly merged into the live traffic which caused your son to hit him, your son is "at fault" by the guidelines used by the insurance company to assess responsibility, note that one can be found "at fault" by the insurance company without being charged by the police under the HTA.

FWIW, (not directing at OP), so many people are dishonest these days, the reporting is one avenue to ensure the incident gets on file, and the other party will likely pay up rather than denying responsibility later on.

I reported an accident years ago even though the other driver said he will settle privately and please not call the police and insurance company because his insurance "had expired and the renew had not arrived yet". Although I initially agreed, I decided to report to the police anyway because I was getting a nagging feeling I can't trust this guy.

Good thing I did since he ignored the repair estimate I mailed him, and would not answer my calls for over a month. That is until I contacted the OPP constable who took my statement initially, he made a call on my behalf around 2 am Sunday morning, which the other guys' parents answered because he was not home yet. Can you just imagine what went through the parents' mind when they receive a phone call from the OPP a 2am Sunday morning asking for their son?!

The cheque was in my mailbox 3 days later.

At the same time I have also followed through with not contacting the police or insurance company because I felt the other party was trustworthy enough for me, however I will usually make sure I get any payment for the repair estimate very quickly before I take the car to the shop, and make it very clear that I will contact the police and insurance company if there are any issues at all.

The bigger questions for you now are:
- Is the CRC going to provide the report to both insurance companies? Hopefully not.
- Can you still pay for the other guy's repair without involving his insurance company?
Old 02-15-2014, 02:14 AM
eyedoc
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you mutually agree to leave the scene after exchanging ID & insurance info and call the police later to report it, no police report for your insurance will be provided as the police cannot establish circumstances of fault. If you move the vehicles to the roadside and then call police to report it, to ease the traffic, you're SOL, unless other driver admits fault (good luck with that). I learned this lesson parked behind a MBenz at a traffic light-had been stopped for 15 seconds, was hit by a Honda less than 5mph -propelled me into MB(being driven by a criminal lawyer). Thinking he knew what he was doing he advised us to pull around corner to get off Yonge St. Mild scuff on his new MB bumper from me-and scratches on my front& rear bumpers. Honda behind driver young G1 admitted fault. Police could have determined if she was on cell phone by time stamp on her phone-had they been called. Take pics. Tracked her through licence living several blocks from scene so police went to her home and she admitted fault, paid for my & lawyer's damage-no fault for me. Was advised by police 1)leave scene @ your own peril;2) don't move cars until after they assess scene. This was even without injuries, and apparent minimal damage. In York Region,they come for damage>$1000. Which means any damage. Of course, they come if injuries. FYI

Quick Reply: OT Fender Bender Advice