Notices

OT Fender Bender Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 AM
Dinicod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT Fender Bender Advice

Ok , so my son bumped into the rear end of a Toyota Corolla. Apparently, some guy slid into a ditch on a 401 on-ramp, everyone slammed on the brakes behind him, and he bumped into the guy in front of him. Guy has some scratches on the bumper and there might be a crack. My car (not the Porsche!!) has a cracked bumper and it's pushed in just a bit. No air bags, no fluids spilled, no one hurt.

At first the guy he hit says "we'll just do the insurance thing". After the cop arrives, hears the stories and checks out the damage, he suggests we deal with it on our own, so we will be in touch.

Thing is, the guy he hit agrees there's nothing my son could do, and the cop kind of agreed.

What am I best to do under the circumstances? Do we have no choice but to admit fault? Do it avoid insurance at all costs (my son is 18).

Last edited by Dinicod; 02-09-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

In an insurance situation I would think he is liable regardless of the opinion of the other driver. Given age, I would be inclined to get some estimates of the damage and pay for it privately.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

Based on your son hitting from the rear my understanding is they will automatically deem your son at fault. Did they provide a police report as cops were actually on scene afterwards? My biggest worry handling it privately in this situation would be getting sued after the fact. Will you be covered by ins if that were to occur should you go the handling it privately route?

My sister works in ins defence and the number of claims has sky rocketed in the last 1.5 with all these dead beat AB lawyer commercials littering TV and radio.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Regardless of everyone's opinion, your son will still be at fault. I would avoid insurance, especially given his age, as his premium will likely skyrocket. However, if you have "accident forgiveness" on your policy and this is the first accident, you could go through insurance and pray there are no more accidents in the near future, but you're rolling the dice with this one. I'd go with the 1st option if I were you unless the cost of repair is going to be huge.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:53 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Bumper scratches? Just pay for it.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:05 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are going the private route, make sure to get a letter drafted up for both your son and the other party to sign indicating the matter is resolved privately between the two parties, and no further actions will result after payment is made. (assuming you agree to make some/any payment to the other party)
Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
If you are going the private route, make sure to get a letter drafted up for both your son and the other party to sign indicating the matter is resolved privately between the two parties, and no further actions will result after payment is made. (assuming you agree to make some/any payment to the other party)
I agree.

Letter signed by the driver your son hit and pay for the damages yourself.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Dinicod
Racer

Thanks for the input guys. Ya, I'm inclined to pay for it up front. It seems somewhat unfair under the circumstances... I understand the whole, you're automatically at fault for hitting from behind, but then there are some idiots that can't drive and sometimes there's nothing you can do. In the end, sounds like there's not much I can do besides pay up! Don't think the cop "filed" anything. He basically said talk it out and see what you can figure out. Not sure if they automatically file a report somewhere?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

If you were not given a copy by him no report filed. Sounds like a minor bump that should be covered outside of ins if he other party is in agreement. Just be sure to state in your agreement if handled outside that the fix you agree to pay for resolves all issues and the other party waives the right to seek any damages after the fact. Google waiver of liability example and build one from there. Not 100% lock tight but its better than nothing.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:00 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

If the other car was stopped when your car hit it then your driver is at fault and even with insurance you'll be dinged with the deductible so if it's minor damage thats a consideration too.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Dinicod
Racer

No report, unless the generic "Collision Reporting Centres" flyer the cop game him is a report? Doubt it, it wasn't even fully completed and it says right on it, if damage is less than $1,000, then no need to report. Cop was OPP if that makes any difference.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Now days every accident is over $1000. The officer was too lazy to do his job and just pretty much walked away from it. This is good for you as your son should have gotten a ticket for following too close. He was driving too fast for the conditions but since the officer copped out, he got lucky. Be careful if you are settling this without the insurance company. Once the bumper skin is pulled, there could be another pile of parts and panels that will need replacing or straightenned.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:54 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Have him get 3 estimates and pay the guy off.
Chances are he won't even get the car fixed and just buy a new pool liner in the spring with the money. Oh wait. That was me
Old 02-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Dinicod
Racer

Ya, not sure what's up at this point? Guy was supposed to call me yesterday - did not? Texted him last night, even game him another number to contact me at - nothing? I figure he's either just gone the insurance route (!!!) or maybe said forget about it (I doubt it - I think he needs a new pool liner - haha!!). The damage was so minimal. My car got the worst of it and some duct tape closed up the crack in the bumper cover. If my son didn't clip the cover where it meets the end of the inner bumper bar (they don't go all the way across don't you know), it wouldn't have even cracked. Oh well.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

pay it and move on ..... and on a related note ... the guy i work with Daughter was in a fender bender a couple weeks ago ont eh south bound erin mills overpass at the 403.

Guy hits the car behind my buddies daughter .. that car slides forward into my buddies daughter ....

a whole bunch of plastic broken but not much more . really slow speed impacts .. the guy behind my buddies daughter jumps out and runs up to see if tshe is oaky .. she says er yeah .. it was like ereally slow ...

so the guy after confirming she is okay goes back to his car , gets in and demands to the cop when he shows up , an ambulance be called, because he has whiplash and needs to be taken to hospital ....

so of he goes in a neck brace and stretcher.

you just never know who you are dealing with.

Quick Reply: OT Fender Bender Advice