Intro

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 05:24 PM
colombiano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro

Hello All,

Been lurking and this site was great help when I was looking for my 911 but I never introduced my self so here it is.

Thought I share an email I wrote to a buddy of mine last Feb while I was going through the saga of getting my 911 to pass emissions.

Everything was ready for me to take the car as it had passed the PPI and cert was all done, I made my way down there as for sure it would pass emissions. Low and behold I get there and emissions failed. Dealer explained that the car had to be driven as it had failed on two tests the catalyst "not ready" and the evaporative system "not ready". They advised to do as much spirited driving on the 911 as possible, and do another test. That afternoon till about 8 PM the seller drove the car hard and we went back to do emissions and nothing, still would not pass. Both systems still not ready. To my disbelief I came home empty handed and was told by seller this was too much work and he rather just keep the car. After I had paid for Dealer to do a PPI, cert and the emissions also needed a horn so got that done. Told seller that was down payment and I wanted my money back if he wanted to keep the car. He was hesitant but obliged.
I started to do a lot of research on the topic as I couldn't believe this car which had such low km would not pass, it turns out the emissions test had changed to an OBDII based one , I contacted the drive clean as in the back of mind I kept thinking if it can't pass emissions can't be put on the road and no way I'm taking that chance. The drive clean people were nice, spoke to the technician on duty and they advised me I had to a specific drive cycle to get the catalyst system to be ready he explained do to the climate being so cold he doubts I would get the evap system to be ready. He mentioned that the drive cycle is vehicle manufacture specific, called Porsche again and no luck they have no clue as to what test that is. Seller is still driving the car but no luck he is very annoyed and wants to end the deal as he has not time to waste.
Found a couple threads online on rennlist and 6 speed about people having issues with their 993's to pass tests in California as they have had the OBDII emissions testing for sometimes. I finally found the so called drive cycle, took the plunge and bought the $300 dollar OBDII reader that would check readiness. I tested it on my own vehicle and it was a bit of a pain to follow it on the road but I found out I didn't have to do all the tests at once. I was able to get all my systems to be ready except for evap. The Instructions are below.

1) Start cold engine and idle for approximately 2 minutes, 10 seconds. This checks secondary air injection and evaporative leak detection systems.

2) Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain steady speed for 3 minutes, 15 seconds. This establishes closed loop oxy-sensor operations, response times & switching times.

3) Accelerate to 40-60 MPH and maintain steady speed for 15-20 minutes. This evaluates catalytic converters while oxy-sensor response and switching times are checked.

4) De-accelerate and come to a stop. Idle in gear for 5-6 minutes. This checks evaporative leak detection system.

Remember:
The diagnostic checks above will be discontinued if:
1) Engine speeds exceed 3000 RPM
2) Large fluctuations in throttle position
3) Road speeds exceed 60 MPH
Throughout all this the seller is very skeptical of what I'm telling him as how can I know more than the dealer and just thinking he doesn't want to sell the car. I got a smoking deal on winter wheels so I bought them while all this was going on as I was sold on a 911 already even if this one might not be it. Met up with Seller last Saturday and got him to follow the test almost exactly with the OBDII reader on the car and voila! success! Drove to buddy's house swapped out the fairly new Michelin pilot super sports to 18'' winters and drove it for a bit then home. Monday MTO for tax, transfer of ownership and plates.
It's still surreal to see that beast when I look in my garage. I love it!
Waiting patiently for spring to go for a nice long cruise.

Shortly after I got it, I joined the UCR PCA club and has been awesome; Did the IDS at shannonville and got out to my first day at mosport, which was raining, learned a ton then 2nd day was a blast. All the folks that I have met so far throught the PCA and rennlist have been very helpfull and Pleasant.

Thank you!

Javier ( Have a Bier )

Last edited by colombiano; 04-03-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great write up but we need pics of the beast
Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

Welcome...that is a lot of words! Does it say somewhere in there what you bought?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome!
Good story...but without pics, never happened
Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

That's the GM emission drive cycle isn't it? They are a real pain to get them ready. The problem you had was that the car wasn't driven much and the system came out of readyness OR that it was reset by someone. The evap takes a very long time to become ready but you are allowed to have one not ready. I suspect they have this because it takes too long for the evap. It's frustrating when you need to drive a car that's sold but the emission system is not ready. Sounds like you figured it all out. Well done.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Welcome but without a pic & description, we're gonna think your related to "rallyguy"
Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 PM
colombiano
Instructor

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Imo000 LOL! if it is the GM emission drive cycle it worked like a charm! I'm just glad I got it to pass. Could have lost one of my favourite purchases of my life

Last edited by colombiano; 11-01-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:16 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

NICE.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:36 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I want that
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Now that's a beautiful set of wheels.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:10 AM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharp car :-) This color was what I was looking for initially, but fell back in love with Guards Red + beige interior that I oh-so-wanted as a youngin'. Welcome!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:55 AM
wjean28
Intermediate

well done! regards
Old 02-01-2014, 12:31 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good info on the drive cycle details. FWIW all of the Innova brand OBD-II scanners avail form Canadian Tires are capable of providing the emission test ready status, and will show you which of the required status have not been met.

I ended up getting a good deal on the Innova 3130C which can show live data stream and ABS for some marques (not Porsche though) which includes the Honda DD, good unit although one can always just go to Parts Source as they will read the OBD-II codes for free.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 AM
colombiano
Instructor

Thanks Gents, I really like red cars and I was looking for a red black combo but this one really jumped at me.

Having the odbii reader was a life saver, without It I would have been lost. Glad they changed it shortly after me and so many other people had issues with the new way the emission test was conducted.

http://www.wheels.ca/news/drive-clea...er-complaints/
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Very nice car and congrats

Quick Reply: Intro