964 Engine Reseal / Rebuild GTA

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:12 AM
CYYZGuy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 964 Engine Reseal / Rebuild GTA

Good morning all.

Well as most of you know I scored my 89 964 last year and yes it did come with the usual quarks that associated itself with that model, more mainly the oil leaks. The oil leaks are not super bad however I would like it if I could get those leaks sealed up and prolong the use of this awesome machine.

The car only has 59k miles on it which isn't much so a first question to ask is should I even contemplate this now or wait a bit? Second if the consensus is to go ahead with this, which specialized mechanic should I be looking into to do this? Please feel free to post highly recommended people. I have a few in mind however if you feel strongly against someone, just send it in a PM to me. I don't want to start a slog war on this.

I appreciate your time and advice. Thank you.

Nick
Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nick,

A reseal sounds a bit premature at that mileage. It could just be a few spots that need attention. I would not go down the expensive road of major engine work until you've done some preliminary investigation.

I can't recall where you live but will shoot you a PM with my email address. I have some strong opinions. Chat soon.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Hunter Motorsport
Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm by no means an expert, but as Cliff suggested, unless you're bleeding jugs of oil a day, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this yet.

just get a cardboard diaper like I have.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:14 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick:
I just completed a engine drop and reseal before Xmas. I only had a single steering pump cam leak but it was driving me crazy. Since the engine was out we did whatever needed doing. +$4k later in new parts, I now have a new clutch, flywheel, new oil hoses, new sensors, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Cleaned every little part or replaced them. I could eat off the engine it is so clean. I have tried to post a video but it must be to large. I can't figure out how to resize it. I will try again later.
Don't know if I will ever do it again. It was a lot of work, and not cheap.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a high mileage, leaky, noisy 3.6 for 2 - 3 years, hard, and it just soaked it up. And it never smoked, even after long storage intervals. If its not knocking or leaking profusely and is still making good oil pressure, you might get a lot of mileage out of it before a rebuild.

Rk
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

i dont know the 964 that well but wasnt one of the issues with the early ones it didnt have gaskets or something , so most had oil leaks until the engine was resealed with gaskets ?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes - exactly - but pretty much every example out there will have had this addressed if it had been a problem. But then again - it's a 911 engine - so it just started leaking from other spots after that. ; )

RK
Old 02-05-2014, 12:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

911-- if it aint leaking oil ...its empty ...

Quick Reply: 964 Engine Reseal / Rebuild GTA