Notices

13 991 cold won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Ask for the old pump back. If it turns out that the problem is something else, you'll have a good used spare pump.
I wonder if they'll give you the parts when it's a warranty repair?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
If you do a search on the 991 forums here and on 6th gear you'll find your not the only person with this exact issue. The latest 'theory' from some seems to be a cam sensor issue. There are also issues on the 991's with the auto start/stop and a recall for fuel injectors. A few people have had injectors go full rich when idling and they get stalling/rough ride as a result. Your low fuel pressure code could have been the result of a sensor issue?

Seems generic: Car starts fine and owner goes for spirited drive and stops somewhere and after 20 minutes car won't start. Will crank and crank but no joy. Outside temps seems to be part of it as most are reporting the issue in northern climates. Then like magic the car starts hours later - although yours is funny in that it seems to have a Rolex 24 like ability to find 2:00PM to start.

Why not try Oakville next time it happens - their closer to you and a second opinion can't hurt.
They are replacing the fuel pump and another part ? I don't know what it is maybe cam sensor. It did not come in on Friday, part was coming out of Atlanta and weather delayed. Hopefully today!!

The other part they told me was not my cars condition but they don't want me to have the problems this parts causes...."rough start, rough idle" is what I think he told me.

Hopefully it will be done today.

I thought of bringing it to Oakville as well, but I have had great experience at Pfaff over the years. I have bought 3 vehicles from them and even though my 11 Cayenne S I had lots of problems with, they were great at fixing all the problems.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Quest911
Instructor

Default Update

Got the car back yesterday. They replaced the fuel pump and cam sensor shim. Fixed the sunroof gasket that I had somehow pulled out front corner with the snowbrush. Fixed the exhaust tips that weren't even.....all good!! and all warranty.

140 klm ride home no problems. We will see if it gets cold enough in the next couple of weeks if it still starts!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Good stuff. Yeah I was reading about the shim they are trying as apparently PCNA are in communication with the factory over the issue and that seems to be the recommendation. I have a question: Is your auto start/stop defaulted to OFF unless you wish to use it via the button or is it like the 2012 & 2013 models I've driven where you kept having to turn it off each time you started the car? I've heard in the 2014 models the factory listened to the owners and reversed that default setting.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Quest911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Good stuff. Yeah I was reading about the shim they are trying as apparently PCNA are in communication with the factory over the issue and that seems to be the recommendation. I have a question: Is your auto start/stop defaulted to OFF unless you wish to use it via the button or is it like the 2012 & 2013 models I've driven where you kept having to turn it off each time you started the car? I've heard in the 2014 models the factory listened to the owners and reversed that default setting.
My auto start/stop is default to off (light on button on) I have MY 2013 as well, I don't know production date? but I don't have to press button every time to have it off. My 11 Cayenne was the same default off auto start/stop. I didn't know that they came the opposite?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Quest911
My auto start/stop is default to off (light on button on) I have MY 2013 as well, I don't know production date? but I don't have to press button every time to have it off. My 11 Cayenne was the same default off auto start/stop. I didn't know that they came the opposite?
Maybe it's only mandated for the German market? Most likely something a tech could change in 10 minutes with the PIWIS 2 unit.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Quest911
Instructor

Default Update

Well, I got my car back last week and everything seemed OK. They replaced the fuel pump and installed cam sensor shim.

Today car started perfect in morning 0 degrees F (-18 C) drove to work no problems........ then at 11:00 am went to start and wouldn't start again!!!

Left car at work and used a truck to do some running around. Got back around 12:30 and it started no problem. The temp is now 27 F ( -3 C)

Emailed Pfaff and they are going to let me know what to do next.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:56 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Hope you recorded it as proof to them
Old 02-12-2014, 03:59 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

faulty coolant temp sensor?

that can cause those issues too.

Quick Reply: 13 991 cold won't start