Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience:

Randy - excellent

Frank - terrible
Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

They are both used parts guys so do your due diligence. ( get photos etc )

I will say Randy is an enthusiast that wants to do the right thing. Frank...Well.... He loves money..
Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with everyone here. Randy's a good guy (though I've only bought parts a few times from him). Once I needed some CV gaskets in a pinch, he was leaving for Hershey that day, so he left them at his mother's house. I dropped by and picked them up there and paid her for them - now THAT is service!

Frank on the other hand is terrible to deal with and sold me the wrong parts several times, then didn't want to exchange or refund them, saying I was installing it wrong, even when I read him the part # from the part itself which was clearly the wrong #. Haven't dealt with him since.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

just bought a tailight and rear bumper frame with frank, waiting to received them

hopefully, he wont screwed me over.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Livio928
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
hopefully, he wont screwed me over.
Our hopes and dreams are with you
Old 01-27-2014, 10:44 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

i'm thinking he will get "a" tail light and bumper ...
Old 01-27-2014, 12:17 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Randy at Whaletail. Scattered, not too organized, but very passionate. Can take his time getting back to you, but call his cell and he will respond. He matched a pelican price quote for me for dizzy rotors and spark plugs - meant I didn't have to cross over for the pick-up in USA and pay duty. Fast shipping.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope the guys from Whaletail & Nine Apart are part of this forum because they should be reading all this feedback. I will approach them with extreme caution and ensure all the details are in writing before I hand over a dime to either one of them. I plan on visiting them once the weather gets a little better as I rather deal with them in-person than over the phone or email.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Livio928
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
I plan on visiting them once the weather gets a little better as I rather deal with them in-person than over the phone or email.
Definitely in person with Nineapart. When it was shipped, it was just garbage. I think the squeaky wheel gets the grease and he has it built into his prices.

I prefer to deal with 928 vendors for used parts especially 928 Int'l because the quality is very good. The aggravation and disappointment with Nineapart still makes up for the currency, shipping, and potential brokerage.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
I hope the guys from Whaletail & Nine Apart are part of this forum because they should be reading all this feedback. I will approach them with extreme caution and ensure all the details are in writing before I hand over a dime to either one of them. I plan on visiting them once the weather gets a little better as I rather deal with them in-person than over the phone or email.
Randy has an open house once a year and has a bit of a meet and greet .. bit of a rain out the last one , but still, some of us hardy soles venturred out to support him ..
Without the Likes of Randy , you have to remember life would be a lot tougher for us ..
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 PM
kgoertz
Pro

I live just down the street from Randy and have bought parts from him several times (including a lightly-used coil-over suspension and new brake parts). I'd definitely recommend him. He is honest and passionate and very knowledgeable especially with the air-cooled cars.
He isn't "paperwork heavy" though and I think he prefers the phone over email.

I had him look for a used cat for my car after mine died and he was able to find one for less than half the price that Nineapart wanted. And I had a much stronger feeling that Randy would stand behind his used parts. But after doing my homework I ended up buying new aftermarket.

For new parts though it is hard to beat the online shopping and service from some of the US stores. I've had nothing but good experiences from some of the sponsors on this forum. But if you are looking for used parts or new parts (and you don't need a store front) than Randy is a solid bet.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I usually give a call to the local 'European' auto wreckers. Sure it's hit or miss but, for the cost of a phone call...
Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 AM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Originally Posted by theiceman
Randy has an open house once a year and has a bit of a meet and greet .. bit of a rain out the last one , but still, some of us hardy soles venturred out to support him ..
Without the Likes of Randy , you have to remember life would be a lot tougher for us ..
Agreed. I was there last year (sans car). Stayed for the food and the people. Was worth the trip just to see what he had in those barns out back. Too bad for the rain, but it was all on his dime. Stand-up fellow.
When I called Frank, I wasn't impressed with the way he downplayed Randy as a scrap collector.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:15 AM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a few negative dealings with Frank a few years ago. I kept trying to find the good in him because I lived close to him and I needed parts he had.

The most bizarre thing happened... He actually accused me of stealing a fuse panel cover for my 3.6 SC! I bought one from him for $20 at nineapart... I gave him a $20 bill and was on my way. A few weeks later I was in a bind as my ignition switch seized 24h before a mosport trackway.

I was able to repair mine just hours after I called him to arrange pick up for a used ignition switch. He literally screamed at me for cancelling my order hours after I had placed it, shouted expletives and insults through the phone. Just before I hung up on him he accused me of leaving his location without paying the $20 for the fuse panel!!!

Unbelievable.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

That sounds familiar!

Quick Reply: Nine Apart & Whaletail Canada