Notices

Whos ice skating today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 02:48 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

thank you guys...

you wouldnt believe this but the sun actually helped thaw out my car a bit so i could get inside.

the day after hte car froze, i was abel to chip away at the door handle and pulled on the driver side handle to open the door, but it was completely frozen shut so i re-armed the alarm and gave up (ice was very very thick everywhere).

however this morning i awoke to a car alarm going off... to my surprise it was my car, and i realized that the sun had thawed off my driver side door to the point that the door opened on its own (due to me pulling the handle a few days before).

from there i got the door open, started it right up (defrost on high) and chipped away like crazy. after about 40 mins went straight for a timmies run and a fresh tank of gas. will double check the air pressure on it in a few hours and add more to the small lexus and the 911 as well.

one more thing, the ice on my windsheld was thick to the point that i snapped my ice scraper right in half.

i was going to buy a heat gun/try hairdryer... but i really DID NOT want to go that route....

Originally Posted by Brian 162
Just don't do what I did in post #14 of this thread.
Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
I used a heat gun to melt all around the edges of the door. Then just let the car run for 30 or so minutes on defrost. took me about ten minutes to get into the car...

Last edited by myw; 12-24-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Power is back on! Surprised at the sense of relief. Even though we had it "easy"with the genny, it still feels so great to have full grid power. And firing up the Krell is a singular pleasure I certainly missed.

Here's hoping anyone still without get back to full power soon!

Happy Xmas all!

Rk
Old 12-24-2013, 10:37 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

WE have two houses, Friday moved from Yonge Sheppard to Avenue Lawrence, both are still out, meanwhile a perfectly good generator sitting in the basement of a warm cottage! Loaded up the wife and kids Monday afternoon and off to the in-laws in Brooklin we go. At this point I'm hoping the power comes on before the house drops below 0*
Old 12-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

You wpuld have been there for days thawing out a cwr with a hair drier. Better off using some table salt on key areas to get the door open and then fire it up and let the car's heat and defrost do tbe work.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:24 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

agreed... a few friends suggested a hair dryer but it thought it was a silly idea... it would just look so lame outside in the freezing weather with a hair dryer connected to an extension cord 'defrosting' everything.

Originally Posted by Imo000
You wpuld have been there for days thawing out a cwr with a hair drier. Better off using some table salt on key areas to get the door open and then fire it up and let the car's heat and defrost do tbe work.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:23 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I wouldn't use salt as it ends up at a much higher concentration than road salt and gets into lock cylinders and such. If you have no other option, sure. But it would be my last choice.

Originally Posted by myw
agreed... a few friends suggested a hair dryer but it thought it was a silly idea... it would just look so lame outside in the freezing weather with a hair dryer connected to an extension cord 'defrosting' everything.
I never suggested a hair dryer. And I only went around the edge of the door. The heat gun worked perfectly. Got me in. No scratches on the door, no broken door handles, etc.... The engine heat did the rest.

Quick Reply: Whos ice skating today?