Notices

Rennlist fall drive 2013: Signup list

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Omg that video is so amazing.... my car is a beast, and that is the proof. (Or at least it looks and sounds like one)
Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was honored that someone mistook my car for the beast
Old 10-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharker
I was honored that someone mistook my car for the beast
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

What a great job of organizing Christien!! I organized a small group of about 20 from Toronto and that took some work so I can only imagine what a group of 72 must have been like. Thanks for doing this!!

My only suggestion is that the person at the front and rear of each group must have a two way radio. Group 2 lost about 5 cars half way through the run and although we stopped and waited, they must have missed a left turn shortly after the traffic light they got stopped at.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Awesome tunnel run clip! So sad I had to miss this run 2 years in a row but the 30C weather and sunshine down here kinda make up for it. Next year for sure!!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
What a great job of organizing Christien!! I organized a small group of about 20 from Toronto and that took some work so I can only imagine what a group of 72 must have been like. Thanks for doing this!!

My only suggestion is that the person at the front and rear of each group must have a two way radio. Group 2 lost about 5 cars half way through the run and although we stopped and waited, they must have missed a left turn shortly after the traffic light they got stopped at.
The last person in group 2 did have a radio but could not get through to anyone. We ended up in group 3 along the canal.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,131 Likes on 809 Posts

As usual there were people that took off and didnt worry about the people behind them, but i think you will always get that, i think those people who fully intend to do that should speak up ahead of time and they can have their own ggroup. That will keep us together.

Also the group leaders absolutely have to stick to the speed limit at all times for a good run to be successfull, if they dont the group gets seperated pretty quickly. Also group leaders do NOT turn right on red, gives the group a chance to catch up.
The stopping point should be mandatory for bio breaks, and with three groups the stopping point should be different places so you are not trying to congregate 60 cars in one are if there is foldover. It is allmost like planning 3 seperate runs .

All stuff we can look at for next year.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Next time perhaps guys like myself can bring up the rear.
The brighter colored cars are easier to spot at the back of the pack.
No disrespect, but from a distance, the silvers & greys blend in with all the other cars so it's difficult to spot the last car.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:11 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I was imagining what 72 P cars in line looks like. Your parade must be the talk of the towns you went through. As for getting lost and confusion I'm amazed that a day later there still aren't Porsches driving around looking for the group. Well done.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
As usual there were people that took off and didnt worry about the people behind them, but i think you will always get that, i think those people who fully intend to do that should speak up ahead of time and they can have their own ggroup. That will keep us together. Also the group leaders absolutely have to stick to the speed limit at all times for a good run to be successfull, if they dont the group gets seperated pretty quickly. Also group leaders do NOT turn right on red, gives the group a chance to catch up. The stopping point should be mandatory for bio breaks, and with three groups the stopping point should be different places so you are not trying to congregate 60 cars in one are if there is foldover. It is allmost like planning 3 seperate runs . All stuff we can look at for next year.
Actually, our leader was excellent and not only kept to the speed limit but pulled over many times to regroup. I don't think anyone purposely lost the guys from behind. Our situation where we lost folks was unique as I had explained. Maybe doing 6 smaller groups is the answer.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 PM
colombiano
Instructor

That tunnel is superb! I want to go back just to do that again Even the wife loved it.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:39 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

It was an awesome day overall. Thank you Jim for starting this whole thing and thank you Christien for keeping this ride going.
My 12yo son and I had a great time navigating group 3 (thanks for recognizing our effort). I really have no complains about our group, everyone held their place in line and I dont think we lost anyone. The biggest challenge for me was not knowing if the last car has made it through town or not. Not having radio contact with the last car has resulted in a few unnecessary slow downs/stops. A restroom break is a must for sure.
While splitting into groups made things easier for everyone, I found that by doing so we lost that amazing sight, sound and feeling of 60 Porsches parade. Instead it was more like 3 groups met at the start and after that each group was on their own. Perhaps all the groups can come together one more time in the middle of the cruse. A 20-30 min mingle session/bathroom/smoke break and to enjoy an amazing sight we create together would be great. I remember last year we all stopped at some Chinese Restaurant and it was really cool. There was a gas station somewhere half way, that i think might be able to accommodate all of us next year.

The only other way this can be done is by installing directional signs along the route. This way no groups are necessary, everyone can stop anywhere/anytime. However, this requires a lot more effort and a bit of investment. The signs need to be printed first and must be installed (zip tied to city sign posts) along the route the day before and removed by sunday night. This way everyone will run at their own pace and people can group up with whoever they want. I bet Porsche Oakville can be convinced to sponsor the signage cost too.
Then all we will need is a cause. May I suggest everyone pitching in to help me struggle with my (Porsche) addiction.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Those signs would have to be pretty big for a passer by to notice. The little ones that people zip tie to the signal poles are too small to see when driving. They are also free advertisement for the Police and are actually illegal. There will alway be glitches in every drive but as long as people can find their way back, doesn't really matter. Doing U turns is half the fun. We had two and it was a good oportunity to shake the back end a little.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:19 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I missed this awesome meet, I plan on doing the run solo this coming weekend
Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Clive & I were chatting now & then on the FRS and pulled over on the ramp to let everyone catch up.
I think we need radios scattered throughout the line next time

We really should try the Glympse app.
It really works well.

I dont see any reason really why just can't be all in one group.
Did a run in the summer with 83 cars as one group. A stop for pee, smoke whatever mid point for 30 minutes
and everyone regrouped.
The procession would be easier to spot and hear that's for sure as it would be a couple kilometers long.
It was quite a site at the monument with all the cars together.

Quick Reply: Rennlist fall drive 2013: Signup list