Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Default re-dye seats

Hi guys,

Last year I re-dyed my 928 seats by myself and the dye I used is just to put it mildly crap. At any rate, I really dont want to tackle it by myself again and re-dye the seats as I'd like a pro to do them, so I dont blame the dye again if its messed up

I'm looking for someone good and most importantly reasonable! I got a recent quote from one of the professional outfits to do 2 seats for the same cost as getting brand new covers from Robert Budd!

Your recommendations are highly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:14 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What colour are they?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:49 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pontifex4
What colour are they?
Silk Grey..
Old 08-03-2013, 04:32 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Silk Grey..
Okay, sorry, I only have the black dye for leather. I'm a little far away, too, so better to find someone local!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Can't help but wonder if your dye was water-based. At the urging of the salesperson at Zelikovitz Leather in Ottawa, I agreed to buy what proved to be an abysmal product. I used their cleaner and sandpaper but still ended up with nothing but streaks after three layers. I then repeated the entire process with no change in outcome.

I then purchased a solvent-based spray leather dye from the same store and had wonderful results after just one coat. Of course, I added a second layer and finished with their proprietary satin finish. Most happy with the way they look now.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did the seats in my 993 using the Leatherique conditioner system and dye. I ordered it from Leatherique Canada which is in Niagra. The actual dye application is pretty easy, its the prep that's a lot of work and kinda scary (I was constantly worried about sanding to far). Rob at Leatherique will do them for you for a fee and I believe hes very reasonable considering the work involved.

I used an HVLP touch-up gun from Princess Auto to apply the dye and it worked really well. Overall I'm mostly pleased with the results, I did find that no matter how many applications of conditioner I applied I still couldn't get the leather soft in some places like the head rests. I also found that even after letting the dye cure a couple weeks my jeans still marked it up on the seat bottom. I'd sit on a towel for a good while as the stuff seems to cure slowly.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curtisr
Can't help but wonder if your dye was water-based. At the urging of the salesperson at Zelikovitz Leather in Ottawa, I agreed to buy what proved to be an abysmal product. I used their cleaner and sandpaper but still ended up with nothing but streaks after three layers. I then repeated the entire process with no change in outcome.

I then purchased a solvent-based spray leather dye from the same store and had wonderful results after just one coat. Of course, I added a second layer and finished with their proprietary satin finish. Most happy with the way they look now.
You are right. Water based Magic Mender crap suggested by a self proclaimed " expert" on the concours board. A friend and I were so thorough that it took lots of hours to prep the seats and re do them.

Initially they came out like new. I was very impressed. Then summer came about a month after we did the seats. In the heat all of a sudden they became tacky as if the paint was melting. Absolutely disgusted how they end up being. The paint is still tacky and on the drivers seat almost gone.

to add insult to injury , when that happened a similar thread was going on a BMW forum. Same results with the heat with the "Magic Mender" stuff...

what is the name of the product you bought?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
You are right. Water based Magic Mender crap what is the name of the product you bought?
The answer in pictures...

The Leather Prep was fine. The water based pigment dye was beyond horrible. The spray dye? Fabulous! And as for the finish I have been asked for 'my secret'...and happily provide a sample (32 oz is WAY more than I needed).

Sorry I don't have pictures to load up but can once I get the car back (it's in for an electrical gremlin that I can't figure out).

Last edited by curtisr; 10-21-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: re-dye seats