Notices

Recall letters for RIV: interesting

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:56 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Just brought over a 2005 235 convertible yesterday. Just made my RIV payment online and got an email saying my form was ready to download to take to Canadian Tire for the inspection. No recall letter was submitted, or, apparently, required. Very strange - first time it's ever happened to me. I've got the letter here in the folder, and was planning on faxing it to them. It's easy with BMW because you can get recall info from their website - maybe RIV is "plugged in" to their database and can see there are no open recalls. Either way, it's one less hassle in the importation of cars!
Christien - this was same as my 997.1 GT3 import 2 yrs ago. I think they keep track of models that have not had any recalls and waive the letter requirement.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM
wabbit636
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently imported 2 Porsches when I moved back to Canada and they never required the letters. They only asked for the trailex trailer (recall letter) that I brought back.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien

So if you wanted to bring it in as a track car for DEs, and never plate it, you'd have to drive it here with the original US plates, cross the border without telling them the car is staying in Canada, then complete the sale here and just never tell MTO about it. I think the only legally questionable part of that is crossing the border under somewhat false pretenses. Aside from that, it would be the same as selling anything else - MTO only needs to know about it if you're going to drive it on public roads.
Surely some level of government will want the taxes/duties. That would be a bigger problem, if you got caught.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Hmm, good point. My suggestion would be the same as buying something from someone across town on kijiji, which you normally wouldn't pay tax on, even on an expensive item. Say for example you bought a grand piano for $20,000 on kijiji. You'd probably pay for it by cash, draft or transfer, in which case neither party would collect or remit taxes, most likely. From a quick google search, I'm pretty sure the seller is expected to collect and remit HST, but nobody ever does, and I've never heard of anyone getting penalized for it. So I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

disclaimer: blah blah blah might end up in jail blah blah
Old 07-09-2013, 04:13 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If goods and services sold are less than $30,000 per year, you are exempt from collecting/remiting HST/GST. And this is normally in the course of business. Buying and selling personal use property, falls out of scope.

So no jail time, if I remember my Income Tax Act correctly.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I'll be bringing in another 996 in the next week. We'll see if RIV will eventually be asking for the recall letter. Wpuld be nice if they didn't.

Quick Reply: Recall letters for RIV: interesting