Notices

Cost of tires in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

So why am I missing the point about a short drive somewhere - drop the car off - a taxi to a mall for lunch and shopping - a taxi ride back to my car and a short drive home...? It's not like I live in Cochrane and it's 10 hours to the border...
Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LexVan, when my Oilers grow up the Hawks will be in trouble
Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob993
LexVan, when my Oilers grow up the Hawks will be in trouble
if they can keep those studs in Edmonton...not likely.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check http://www.tiretrends.com/ too.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM
CATA19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone else have any experience with dealing with Discount Tires Direct? I have been pricing tires out and there is quite a difference between them and local tire shops.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Discount tire is very reliable.
Unfortunately they are not permitted to sell Nitto's across the border. Distribution rights.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
So why am I missing the point about a short drive somewhere - drop the car off - a taxi to a mall for lunch and shopping - a taxi ride back to my car and a short drive home...? It's not like I live in Cochrane and it's 10 hours to the border...
Make sure you claim anything you buy or the Canadian Government can become the owners of a new to them Porsche.

Also keep in mind they actually could charge you the import duty of the entire car again as you have modofied the vehicle .. Doesn't happen often but **** them off and they can charge you this and double it as a penalty .. these guys are NOT to be messed with so do your due dilligence before you go.

I have done it .. i put them in the back of my van and claimed them .. no issues..

12 tires .. and i could have put in 4 more ... was prettty fed up of the smell of fresh rubber by the time i got home ..

Last edited by theiceman; 10-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CATA19
Does anyone else have any experience with dealing with Discount Tires Direct? I have been pricing tires out and there is quite a difference between them and local tire shops.
No problems ordering from them ,shipped fast. No extra charges.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

for those in the GTA give Allan at Simply Tire a try. His prices are often comparable to Tirerack when you factor in taxes and shipping. He use to own a 996 Turbo and is familar with our cars.
www.simplytire.com
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM
CATA19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are the prices that Allan has posted on their website the prices that they quote? Or will they do better?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:34 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

Allen is a great guy and a great shop. He actually used to have a 993 turbo.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone ever use Braiden Tire in Markham (they advertise in Provinz)?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a comparison on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, INSTALLED: (295+235/19)

Canadian Tire

$1802.03 TAX/TSF/INSTALL

Tire Rack

$1604.39 TAX/DUTY/SHIPPING STATES SIDE/TSF/INSTALL @$100 CAD

Factor a few things into this... UPS store here charges $5 per tire received and an additional $5 each per day that they have to keep them there. It's an hour and a bit drive to Ogdensburg from Ottawa so lets assume $40 in fuel for a vehicle large enough to transport these tires plus toll fees (our bridge is about $2.50 each way). So hard costs involved in picking up tires across the border are about $65 IF AND ONLY IF you pick up the tires the same day that they arrive. Otherwise add $20 per day they sit there.

If you're really pinching pennies then you can assume that you'll save a LITTLE money buying these states side. Consider sitting at the border, then taking the tires down to an installation facility, bringing the car or wheels to them. These are all very time consuming tasks and I'd assume that you'd spend a total of 4-6 hours of your life saving $100.

Last intangible to consider is warranty. I know that we (Canadian Tire) don't warranty tires that we don't sell. If it gets installed and there is a problem with the tire, you're paying to dismount and then send the tire back to MFGR or tire rack or wherever. They determine that there is or isn't a problem and go from there. This can take a week or more plus shipping costs.

You buy a Tire from Canadian Tire (or any canadian reputable tire reseller) and you get an inhouse warranty that covers the tire on the spot based on tread depth (prorated) and for $6 a tire you can even buy insurance that covers FREE REPLACEMENT of that tire if there are any problems including road hazards or vandalism.

How badly do you want to save $100?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DISCLAIMER!

This comparison applies for MOST of the tires we sell but I have found cases where Tire Rack or similar resellers can't be beat for pricing. Also, pricing differences scales with retail price. Smaller tires are much closer priced and in some cases we beat their price (hoosiers in my case is one example).

Don't even bother comparing pricing if you're shipping to canada though. Shipping alone goes up $100 plus brokerage fees.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 305 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
Here's a comparison on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, INSTALLED: (295+235/19)

Canadian Tire

$1802.03 TAX/TSF/INSTALL

Tire Rack

$1604.39 TAX/DUTY/SHIPPING STATES SIDE/TSF/INSTALL @$100 CAD

Factor a few things into this... UPS store here charges $5 per tire received and an additional $5 each per day that they have to keep them there. It's an hour and a bit drive to Ogdensburg from Ottawa so lets assume $40 in fuel for a vehicle large enough to transport these tires plus toll fees (our bridge is about $2.50 each way). So hard costs involved in picking up tires across the border are about $65 IF AND ONLY IF you pick up the tires the same day that they arrive. Otherwise add $20 per day they sit there.

If you're really pinching pennies then you can assume that you'll save a LITTLE money buying these states side. Consider sitting at the border, then taking the tires down to an installation facility, bringing the car or wheels to them. These are all very time consuming tasks and I'd assume that you'd spend a total of 4-6 hours of your life saving $100.

Last intangible to consider is warranty. I know that we (Canadian Tire) don't warranty tires that we don't sell. If it gets installed and there is a problem with the tire, you're paying to dismount and then send the tire back to MFGR or tire rack or wherever. They determine that there is or isn't a problem and go from there. This can take a week or more plus shipping costs.

You buy a Tire from Canadian Tire (or any canadian reputable tire reseller) and you get an inhouse warranty that covers the tire on the spot based on tread depth (prorated) and for $6 a tire you can even buy insurance that covers FREE REPLACEMENT of that tire if there are any problems including road hazards or vandalism.

How badly do you want to save $100?
All due respect, but I think our concern here is having them mounted at CTC.

Quick Reply: Cost of tires in Canada