Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy 5
You can check out what Avis offers, and their locations at:

www.avis.de/prestigecars

Was in Munich in March and saw a large poster for the 911 rental at the Avis counter. Tempted, soooo tempted...
It's really EASY to rent from them - I did it right from their website here in Canada. For Porsche's or other high end vehicles they have to get back to you on availability via email for the dates requested. There is a $100 fee if you don't arrive to pick up the car you requested - billed to your credit card as they have time/expenses getting Porsche's to the sites. So make sure you cancel with them if your plans change. I'm trying to recall what the fee is for a *different* drop off site (spouse has those details) but I believe it is $50 Euro if you don't return it to the pick up site.

One note: Pick up and return at the major train stations in Germany is a hassle for the first time. Recommend to people that they either pick up at airports or pick up and drop off at the same locations. It's a $1500 deposit on your card for damage and they inspect the car when you return it with an electron beam microscope or it seems that way. The woman who did the inspection went over every wheel, looked all over the windshield for star bursts, front paint - perety much the whole car. Maybe it was just her - but I got the impression it could be a revenue growth sector for Avis to spot damage they could charge for. NOW my spouse knows why I took particular care (no I wasn't being **** dear...) where I parked the car (near no one who could open a door and ding me) and how I drove on mountain roads making sure not to put a wheel off the pavement that would chip/ding the rims on stones...

$200 Euro per day. 200km's allowed per day. $1 Euro per km over the 200 limit. Insurance is included at these rates (with the deductible noted below)

$6000 deductible if you want to drive on the Ring and if not - they make you sign an extra wavier prohibiting the Ring or any other track at the $1500 rate.

GPS is set for English if requested ahead of time. (Porsche make the worst GPS of any premium car manufacturer. My IPhone worked better!)

Speeding tickets are billed to your card. You do get a nice picture in the mail from Avis you can frame as a souvenir! The majority of these are from inner city photo radar camera's. Stuttgart is bad for these. And tunnels... And Austrian autobahn's that are limited to 130kph... So far (crossing fingers) no personal experience in these souvenirs.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

I just got back from the Black forest, Porsche Museum, Factory tour, had an S class in Switzerland and a Panamera in Germany - both from Avis. I liked the Panamera very much....a real treat to drive at speed.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
I just got back from the Black forest, Porsche Museum, Factory tour, had an S class in Switzerland and a Panamera in Germany - both from Avis. I liked the Panamera very much....a real treat to drive at speed.
Yeah the Pano is a real Autobahn stormer huh? We had another couple (brother/sister-in-law) that were going to come with us but baled out at the last minute so I would have rented a Panamera instead of the 991S. I would have had to cover up the speedo from the other spouse as shes a nervous person... Better she *think* we're only going 150kph... Probably better they didn't come after all, now that I think about it.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:51 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure to know that these cars can only be driven in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. No taking them to France nor Italy. I tried to get an exemption to go to Mulhouse, France (just inside the border) to see the Schlumpf museum as was turned down flat.

Quick Reply: Treffen Trips / Autobahn Adventures??