Notices

Treffen Trips / Autobahn Adventures??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Treffen Trips / Autobahn Adventures??

Anybody here ever take part in the packaged tours they offer? I am considering a similar trip for my 40th bday next year. They have a Tuscany one in September annually that sounds really nice. Any thoughts? opinions?

I like the idea of just showing up with the itinerary complete and ready to go.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

I can't comment on Autobahn Adventures as I don't know much about them but the Treffen trips by Peter Sontag that you see in the PCA mag are great. I was on one last year and everything is done for you. John in Vancouver has been on a ton of them - he can give you more info. The Tuscany trip is the longest trip they offer - also the most expensive. We have friends going on this one in Sept - they won't get much change out of $12K *each*... They have 10 days trips (5 days in the car) that are around $6K each (airfare is extra) based upon double occupancy.

We did our own trip this year and yes, there is more work involved and a little more stress, but over all it was just as much fun. Peter's trips are high end and the restaurants are all 5 star, the hotels 5 star's and everything is taken care of, including car rental. The cars are parked out front of the hotel's every morning and put away by his staff as soon as you pull up in front of the next hotel. Unlike my experience at the end of this week looking for the %$#@^& Avis lot on the other side of the Munich railway station. I'm adventurous and have a spouse who is a great navigator (GPS units are not always reliable) so going out on our own was a another new adventure and maybe not for everyone.

The highlights of the Treffen trip's are: great food, nice people and driving 991S's on the Autobahn and through the mountains of Germany and Austria.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:59 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I'm "John in Vancouver" and have done 5 Treffen's with the Sontag/Fast Lane Travel Group. Have signed up for a 6th in September going to Switzerland, Italy, the Black Forest and of course Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen with my wife.

These trips are fantastically well organized and all 5 star hotels and meals etc as Toronto Worker mentions. Also, everything starts on time.

The last Treffen got a little expensive though. While driving down the Autobahn at about 200kph my wife turned to me and said "you should get one of these!". First day home I went in and ordered at 2013 991S Cab to go along with our 2004 996 TT Cab. We did get the rental 991S to 295kph on that trip (previous fastest was 265kph in a 991 Cab with the top down).

I always go a few days early and rent a 911 for my own short trip to spend a little more time in some of the places we previously visited on the Treffen but felt we enjoyed the places so much a couple of extra days is also great. Did this with Rothenburg of der Tauber before and going to Lindau on our own for a couple of days this fall. Last year we also went to see the Schlumpf museum in France and then an overnight in Strasbourg. I organize the 911 rentals through Fast Lane also and the extra hotel days.

It's nice being pampered from being picked up at Stuttgart Airport until we return there at the end of our visit. Everything looked after.

To sum up the Treffen's "If they were any more fun they would be illegal!"
Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
While driving down the Autobahn at about 200kph my wife turned to me and said "you should get one of these!". First day home I went in and ordered at 2013 991S Cab to go along with our 2004 996 TT Cab.
Self inflicted damage John!

Question: Why didn't you do a Euro delivery to coincide with a Treffen trip?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Thanks TW and John for the input. Love the everything looked after aspect for this one. My wife and I are adventurous travelers but I want this trip to be more of a "take care of me" type event LOL The $6K each is more my speed as flights will be free via aeroplan.

Love the 991 S cab story, not likely to happen on my end considering the quiet search for the 996 TT Cab has already begun. Shhhh don't tell the 993 gang

Cheers
Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
Thanks TW and John for the input. Love the everything looked after aspect for this one. My wife and I are adventurous travelers but I want this trip to be more of a "take care of me" type event LOL The $6K each is more my speed as flights will be free via aeroplan.

Love the 991 S cab story, not likely to happen on my end considering the quiet search for the 996 TT Cab has already begun. Shhhh don't tell the 993 gang

Cheers
Oh snap!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Self inflicted damage John!

Question: Why didn't you do a Euro delivery to coincide with a Treffen trip?
If I'd taken European delivery it would have been the dead of winter in Germany and not a whole lot of fun. My accounting practice is too busy to take much time off between Jan 1 and April 30. Also, it would have delayed delivery here in Vancouver by about 6 more weeks and I already had to wait 6 1/2 months and the car arrived just as spring was supposed to arrive. I'd have to have waited and do delivery in September and lose the whole summer with it.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 AM
alexl911
Pro

I lived in Germany for five years and I drove all over Europe including visiting most of the famous 'car' towns, mountain passes and racetracks. I can tell you that it was not difficult and with a little research and preparation you could put together something similar; including car rental; for MUCH less. But, it depends on what you want how much you want to pampered. For me, part of the fun was the adventure and the thrill of discovery.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

I've done it both ways, on my own and on Treffen. I like the organization of the Treffen and being pampered etc. On every Treffen trip I've also done up to 5 or 6 days on my own generally with rental Porsche prior to the Treffen part. My 6th Treffen upcoming but my 15th Porsche rental trip to Germany (in total). Having experienced the do it yourself and the Treffen I actually prefer having everything looked after down to the last detail. I spend my whole working year serving people and the Treffen gives the chance to be looked after at the level of service I give to my clients who are glad to pay for that service and thus gives me the wherewithal to get a chance to get pampered myself once in a while.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Pags993
Drifting

"I spend my whole working year serving people and the Treffen gives the chance to be looked after at the level of service I give to my clients who are glad to pay for that service and thus gives me the wherewithal to get a chance to get pampered myself once in a while"

BINGO!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

We were considering a European river cruise in September, but after looking at these trips, may go on one of these this year, and postpone the cruise to next year.

From what firm(s) do you rent the Porsches?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

If you go on a Treffen or one of the other Fast Lane Travel (check out the website)the Porsche is organized/rented for you by Fast Lane Travel. They get them from AVIS. Finding a Porsche on Avis's website can be difficult though.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

So, I just arrange the extra days through Fast Lane. Thx
Old 07-02-2013, 04:38 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Yes, Fast Lane organize the Porsche rental for my "pre Treffen" journey also. Also, I have them organize my non Treffen hotel bookings if I'm planning on going to one of the hotels I've been to on a Treffen. Otherwise I have my favourite hotels in the general area (Stuttgart).
Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Tommy 5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can check out what Avis offers, and their locations at:

www.avis.de/prestigecars

Was in Munich in March and saw a large poster for the 911 rental at the Avis counter. Tempted, soooo tempted...

Quick Reply: Treffen Trips / Autobahn Adventures??