Notices

Need help - Getting the run around from shipping company

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:02 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
I had the exact scratches on my 911 when I had it shipped from California. What the shippers don't get is that our community lives on referrals. If they are seen as careless and unwilling to rectify their issues, then none of us will likely ever use them. Social Media keeps companies honest and us Porsche folks are **** about how our cars are treated.

You said you bought this car from a friend through DFC. If he is like the rest of us, he will know of every defect the car has. Has he confirmed that there were no scratches and has DFC corroborated this claim? If so, and the shipper is willing to accept liability on some of the damages, they should pay for all the damages caused while in their hands. A law suit will cost too much time and energy, but they will lose much more in lost business through negative postings than the $600 it would cost them to fix the bumperette. Maybe you should send them to this thread so they can see what's brewing. All you need to do is insert their company name here and they can kiss a bunch of business goodbye.
The shipping company was hired by me, not DFC. The 5 sales guys who watched as the inspection took place in their service bay can all confirm there were no scratches or cracks. I am giving the company one last chance and will not hesitate to name them if they continue to play games
Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Viajero
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MidnightCayman
No release no check.
Check for full amount of damage -> release. That would be my position. But I also have taken a business to court for under $200. Because I have flexible work hours and will fight things based on principal (and represent myself in court). You may find that more of a compromise will suit your needs here.

Good luck with getting a resolution. I hope it works out well for you. These situations are never fun.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:53 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

While no experience myself, I have heard you can win at small claim court, but still not get the judgement money for a very long time, if ever.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MC:

Nova Scotia's Small Claims Court has jurisdiction up to $25,000, and the filing fees are $96.80 for a claim under $5,000, and $193.55 for over. You don't need a lawyer there.

But you have a couple of hurdles:

1. You said the work had already been started, so a judge might rule that you've already made your deal, even though it's verbal.

2. You would have to prove the pre shipping condition of the car, and DFC is out of province. The photos you would have to present in court might be ruled as hearsay, as might the inspector's affidavit that you would try to enter as evidence. It would probably not be feasible to have the inspector travel to Nova Scotia for the trial.

In any event, sorry about your loss.

As I am an attorney, this advice is not intended to be relied upon.

Last edited by Rinty; 07-30-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
While no experience myself, I have heard you can win at small claim court, but still not get the judgement money for a very long time, if ever.
Very true. In fact, getting a judgment in SCC is maybe half the fight. Collecting can be much more difficult and lengthy.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update - Got car back June 30

Last edited by MidnightCayman; 05-05-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:42 PM
2001Porsche911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christien
Another option is a collection agency for the repair bill. I had a towing company tow a CTS strapped down by the tie rods. They paid for the repair and agreed to refund half the towing cost, but didn't come through with the refund. After several letters and phone calls, I sent it to a collection agency. They kept 40%, but I got the satisfaction of having the towing company finally pay.
Do you have the name of the collection agency you used?

Quick Reply: Need help - Getting the run around from shipping company